inshore fishing tips

dixon413

Not here to ask for secret spots or anything like that, but have always been a freshwater fisher and really want to try my luck with some inshore fishing and take my 10 yr old son. I've got a G3 gator tough 20CC with a 70hp yamaha. What kind of fish can I target this time of year? Just need a little help getting started so I don't go out and spend all my money on baits/lures i may not need. I'd like to try some flounder, reds, trout, sheepshead if they are available this time of year. Also good/safe boat ramps near Savannah or Jekyll/St. simon area. Thanks in advance!

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Man you need to head down now! I'm by no means an expert but now is the time to fish the coast. If you want to put fish in the boat, fish freah shrimp casting and retrieving bouncing them off the bottom. Check out bottom sweeper jigs, put a shrimp on and catch reds, black drum, trout. Sheepshead around wrecks with a fiddler crab on a small hook. For articivials, a DOA shrimp or gulp works well, under a popping cork or casting on a jig. I like incoming tides and nothing around the full moon. Blue and Hall out of Darien is a good ramp. They'll have all the shrimp and fiddlers you need. Easy ride around Sapelo from there. Remember.... The tide swings are big! Garmin Blu chart or similar is a must (at least for me)

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Anybody else got some tips for the OP and me feel free!!!! We'll be down this weekend and I ain't skurred to try other tactics!

wag03

If you want to catch “fish” when everything else fails. I would suggest a live shrimp on the bottom. Something will bite it. Use the lightest weight possible. Not the most glamorous tactic but it works. Send pics when you catch em.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Tides are over 9 ft this weekend.
Booked a trip, rented a house, had to move it to this weekend after we all got covid. Is what it is. Plus the whole fam is going, so it'll be a little fishing and a lot of family and football

If you put in at McKay river bridge, be prepared to get going fast. That current rips in there!!! Seriously. Probably worst with bigger tides.

I would buy live shrimp, which may be available at three different places off St Simons causeway. Call the places before hauling. Buy a “box of bubbles to keep them alive.

Sandbars almost everywhere and in unlikely spots, so go slow and don’t gun it with your kids sitting on the bow.

map on this site of Glynn county would probably be helpful:
https://gacoast.uga.edu/outreach/resources-outreach/fishing-resources/

Latest posts