Into The Wild

menhadenman

Just had to snap a pic of this one before heading out the door! Life was a little simpler when I could lay my head where I pleased.

Great picture @sinclair1 - looks like a place many of us may have enjoyed, at least for a little while. Some great memories I bet - long before my time.

Attachments

• 92421114-6134-4194-A879-580598E30F9D.jpeg
    92421114-6134-4194-A879-580598E30F9D.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 43

Redbow

Yep I 2 as a young man would have loved an adventure for a while in Alaska. But being poor as dirt and working for next of nothing no way I could go. I would have probably starved to death on such a trek had I went for it, or maybe been eaten by a Bear.

sinclair1

Just had to snap a pic of this one before heading out the door! Life was a little simpler when I could lay my head where I pleased.

Great picture @sinclair1 - looks like a place many of us may have enjoyed, at least for a little while. Some great memories I bet - long before my time.
Good times, my brother chased the crab money in 79. He worked two seasons and saved up enough to by a new Peterbuilt and went into long haul trucking. I still have family on the boats and one relative by marriage that was lost at sea.IMG_3839.jpeg

Redbow

There are things I love about the story but he was incredibly naive and it cost him his life.
I am afraid that quite a few naive people have lost their lives in Alaska.

I could go for a big mess of those crab legs in Sinclair1s post.

oldfella1962

My sister moved to Alaska in 1973. She just moved out of the bush to Anchorage due to age.
All those years 800 miles from Walmarts.
She took part in some kinda tax base program to move there. Low interest loans or something, not sure, I was 5.

She’s tougher than I am. That house under snow for weeks to where you can’t open a door is a No! For me.
This is 1978 View attachment 1292110
Back in the day (they still might do it) the Yukon Territory was pretty much giving land away to any Canadian citizen to "homestead" there. But insanely cold temperatures, lack of infrastructure, isolation and crazy mosquitos didn't sweeten the deal for too many people.

sinclair1

Back in the day (they still might do it) the Yukon Territory was pretty much giving land away to any Canadian citizen to "homestead" there. But insanely cold temperatures, lack of infrastructure, isolation and crazy mosquitos didn't sweeten the deal for too many people.
It’s expensive in most parts now. I almost bought a float plane only property near my sister for $3000. 10 years later it was expensive

Redbow

It seems there might be more to the story about the guy who died in the magic bus. A cabin was broken into not very far away from where the man died in the magic bus. The cabin was broken into and torn up inside. Another cabin had roof damage from a pick ax. Also the mans backpack was found with multiple I D's and 300 bucks in cash in his wallet.

Surely the man could have saved himself if he is the person who found and broke into the cabins. And why would he damage the inside of anyone's cabin instead of trying to survive there? And it was determined that it was not a Bear who broke into the torn up cabin a Bear doesn't use a pick ax to damage a roof either. Cabins are usually left with food inside just in case someone might become lost in the wilderness and need help for survival.

Maybe the guy who died out there had more mental problems than ever came out in the movie.

DannyW

It seems there might be more to the story about the guy who died in the magic bus. A cabin was broken into not very far away from where the man died in the magic bus. The cabin was broken into and torn up inside. Another cabin had roof damage from a pick ax. Also the mans backpack was found with multiple I D's and 300 bucks in cash in his wallet.

Surely the man could have saved himself if he is the person who found and broke into the cabins. And why would he damage the inside of anyone's cabin instead of trying to survive there? And it was determined that it was not a Bear who broke into the torn up cabin a Bear doesn't use a pick ax to damage a roof either. Cabins are usually left with food inside just in case someone might become lost in the wilderness and need help for survival.

Maybe the guy who died out there had more mental problems than ever came out in the movie.
Interesting theory.

Redbow

Interesting theory.
I have seen that interesting theory on the internet twice today about him breaking into cabins while staying at the bus.