Is it legal to sell you deer mounts?

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking through the Carrollton Shopper this afternoon and an ad caught my eye. A person is selling a 9pt. and a 6pt mount. Both are in the $150 range. I was wondering if this is legal? If it is why would you sell your deer heads?

Snakeman

From the General Hunting Regulations:

Unlawful Activities:
--Sell or purchase any game species or parts thereof, except antlers, hides, and tails of legally taken deer, tails of legally taken squirrels, and legally taken alligator products.

So the answer to the question is YES, so long as the deer were legally taken.

When I was in South Carolina, it was illegal to sell deer parts (it may still be, I'm not sure), but the way around the law was to charge for the mounting of the deer, not the deer itself. In other words, you were recouping the fees that the taxidermist charged you, not necessarily selling the antlers/hide of the deer.

The Snakeman

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Snake. Thats what I was looking for. I guess they must be in a pinch, because I don't know any other reason for selling your deer.

short stop

No They Sell Em On Ebay All Day Long ----i Just Couldn't Claim A Deer On The Wall I Didnt Tag Myself .-- Ss

Dough

selling hides/mounts

that's where some stores get the mounts they display.

Used to be, if you had a legitimate business, you could contact AK Dept of Public Safety, and they would ship you illegal kills or pick ups, instead of destroy them. You had so many days to prove you were displaying it, etc...
Some businesses used this to get Moose mounts, and Sheep heads, and Brown Bears.

Skipper

Banned
Just had this conversation with a Kentucky Warden.

It is illegal in Kentucky to sell "Any Part of any game animal" regardless of the legality of how it was taken. For example, if meat or antlers were shipped in from a deer farm, it would be illegal to purchase them.

Say for instance a slaughter house has a left over deer that someone won't come get and he wants to sell the meat, can he?

The answer is yes and no. Yes he can sell the meat to someone but only for his normal processing fee. If he normally charges $35 to process a deer, that's what he can charge.

A Deer head and antlers could similarly be sold for the cost of mounting them. Otherwords, if Woody has an un picked up deer head he wants to sell, and he normally charges $150 to mount a deer head, he can sell that head for $150.

You can sell in Kentucky finished products from game animal parts. Example: A bone handled knife can be sold. A wing bone turkey call can be sold, and those antler light fixtures that Bass Pro sells.

Now, does KDFWR spend their time tracking down people for selling their own deer head mounts? NO.

Skipper