It’s Hard to be Seeker-Sensitive When You Work for Jesus

Double Barrel BB

Please forgive me if there are misspellings or I should say miss typings... I re-typed this from a pdf that I was unable to grab the text from... The only link I have for this is:

http://www.umph.org/pdfs/circuitrider/4813IHtb.pdf

<O:p
It’s Hard to be Seeker-Sensitive When You Work for Jesus

By: William H. Willimon

Many of you can testify that Jesus, the better you got to know him, did not fulfill all your needs but sometimes gave you needs you did not have before you met Jesus!

I believe that today’s “seekers” are seeking many things, but I am unsure that many of them are seeking a crucified savior or a cruciform life. That’s fine since the Bible hardly ever, almost never depicts anybody seeking Jesus. Rather, the story is about God’s relentless seeking of us in Christ.

The way I read church history, most of our really great theological mistakes were made in the interest of evangelism. In so wanting to lean over and speak to the world, sometimes we fall in face down.

The seeker ought never to determine the content of the One who is being sought.​

Preaching at seeker-sensitive service? User friendly church? We preachers have got a problem. And the problem is named Jesus.

On a billboard outside of town I saw, “WE’VE GOT WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, COME GET IT.” Below was the name of a local church, its location, times for services, and website.

Perhaps it’s because I work with young adults, but I thought to myself, “I know what these people are looking for – some of it is both immoral and illegal! Is that church giving them that?”

We live in a consumer – driven, avaricious society where everything is turned into a commodity, even the gospel, and life is said to be fulfilled only through our choices, our ability to consume cars and cloths and, even Christ. In such a climate, we must be careful about turning Sunday worship into just another opportunity to say, “Give me some of that.”

That’s to me the biggest problem in using contemporary music in Sunday worship. It may be true that Charles Wesley or Martin Luther used some popular music of their day in their hymns. However, in our day and culture, contemporary music, including allegedly “Christian” music is owned by Madison Avenue. Advertising and merchandizing dominate the (appropriately named) “music industry.” Music is primarily used to put the make on people, to sell. Once you’ve heard those rhythms and syncopations for the millionth time in TV ads, it is very difficult to wrest them from the grip of consumerism, almost impossible for them not to transform Jesus into just another means of stroking my narcissistic ego.

Jesus is not simply about meeting my felt needs; he is also about rearranging my needs, not only about fulfilling my desires; he is also about transforming my desires. Jesus is wonderfully nonchalant about so many of my heart-felt desires. It’s amazing how many of my needs (material affluence, security, sexual fulfillment, happiness, etc.) appear not in the least to interest Jesus. Many of you can testify that Jesus, the better you got to know him, did not fulfill all your needs but sometimes gave you needs you did not have before you met Jesus!

I recall that great preacher, William Sloane Coffin, telling us Yale Students, “I don’t see how you attract folk to Jesus, by appealing to their basic selfishness – ‘Jesus can fix everything that’s wrong with you’ – and end up offering anything like the self-less, self-denying faith of Jesus.”

When, in Seeker Services, do we pull out the cross? When, as we’re touting all the benefits of choosing Jesus, do we also say to them, “By the way, Jesus said that anyone who bought into his message would also suffer and die.”

I believe that today’s “Seekers” are seeking many things, but I am unsure that many of them are seeking a crucified savior or a cruciform life. That’s fine since the Bible hardly ever, almost never depicts anybody seeking Jesus. Rather, the story is about God’s relentless seeking of us in Christ. Alright, the poor prodigal son (Luke 15) did finally stagger back home to a waiting father, but when he did, the father took over, jerked him around, threw a party, shocked and surprised him, in short, transformed his whole life. Nothing we can know about these alleged “Seekers” is as interesting as what we know of this seeking, searching God.

The More I think about it, all services of Christian worship are “Seeker Services,” in that all of them are opportunities to get jumped by the loving, resourceful, seeking God who just loves to seek and to save the lost.

The way I read church history, most of our really great theological mistakes were made in the interest of evangelism. In so wanting to lean over and speak to the world, sometimes we fall in face down. We give away the store. We pare down the gospel to something that can fit on a bumper sticker, letting the consumer be the judge of just what can be demanded, said, and expected in the name of Jesus. We use the world’s means of speaking only too late to realize that the medium has changed the message rather than the message transforming the world.

In the end, we are left with a desiccated gospel, an accommodated Jesus, and a faith that is more a projection of us at our worst rather than a call to be done over, born again, transformed in to God’s very best.

In a new book, The New Young Evangelicals, Wheaton’s Robert Webber says that the era of what he calls “pragmatic evangelicalism” is over, the era began by Billy Graham and ending with Bill Hybels, the era whose watchword was, “what’s good is what works.” The gospel is reduced to a minimalist set of slogans and techniques and “what works” becomes the utilitarian test for what is done and said by the church.

Webber things, and I hope he is right, that we have a new generation of younger, smart, evangelicals who respond to orthodoxy, a “thick” theology that is intellectually demanding, they are eclectic about worship loving the historic sacramental life of the church as well as newer worship forms. We’ll see.

Recently, I left a service at a United Methodist Church where I had attempted to preach. I was shaken. The preacher told me, “We’ve tried to make our services more seeker sensitive.” That meant that most of the historic Christian metaphors and images had been expelled from the service, the music was mostly about “me, my, mine,” and the preacher chattered throughout the service about “Jesus loves you,” with the emphasis on the “you.” I came away wondering if the Christian faith could survive another decade on such drivel. By the end of the service, I wanted to stand up and shout, “If there are any of you Seekers out there, I promise to you that Jesus is ten times more interesting than this!”

I’m as concerned as the next person about the woeful inadequacy of most of our evangelism, our United Methodist membership decline, and all the other signs of our failure to reach out in the name of Christ. We ought to seek Seekers, but we preachers must never forget that we are seeking them in the name of Christ. The Seeker ought never to determine the content of the One who is being sought. You know from your own experience of Sunday worship that one of the great things that sometimes happens is, you come to church seeking consolation, comfort, something to take away some of the pain – and before the service is over you get something so much better.

You get Jesus in all his glory and demanding wonder. You get discipleship. You came, hoping to find God, only to be transformed by God finding you. This is us at our best. This is what those Seekers are seeking, even if they don’t yet know this is what they are seeking.

Tell me what you’ve got a better Christian rock band than the Baptists across town, that you have a Sunday drama group that could go to Broadway, that all your sermons are in Powerpoint, that last Sunday a hundred Millennials and Boomers joined the church. I’ll still want to ask, with Father John, “But did you offer Christ?”

William H. Willimon is Dean of the Chapel at Duke University and Professor of Christian Ministry. He is the author of Paster: Theology and Practice of Ordained Ministry (Abingdon). He preaches each Sunday in a service at Duke Chapel which “while aggressively traditional still manages to attract lots of Seekers!”

fivesolas

Banned
Excellent. Sums up the problem with evangelicalism.

Banjo

Seeker sensitive is such a misnomer as the Bible clearly states fallen man is dead to Spiritual things:

THERE ARE NONE THAT SEEK....

Only those who have been granted the Holy Spirit are able to open their eyes to Spiritual things...

rjcruiser

Yup..I'll agree with most of it.

I do know a lot of contemporary music that focuses on Christ and not on the individual. That was the only thing that I noticed....but understand the intent of the author.

Thanks DB for typing that whole thing out :)

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
God bless you for posting that.
It seems to me that many churches today have turned into the Lions Club, or the Optomists Club.

These days Jesus comes in assorted flavors. Add water and there you go. How ever you want Him, we'll make Him that way.

Thanks for the post.

Huntinfool

Recently, I left a service at a United Methodist Church where I had attempted to preach. I was shaken. The preacher told me, “We’ve tried to make our services more seeker sensitive.” That meant that most of the historic Christian metaphors and images had been expelled from the service, the music was mostly about “me, my, mine,” and the preacher chattered throughout the service about “Jesus loves you,” with the emphasis on the “you.” I came away wondering if the Christian faith could survive another decade on such drivel.

I know! It's terrible. Songs that use the word "me", like "Jesus loves me"; Songs that use the word "my", like "My redeemer" or "My Savior" or "My God"; Songs that use the word "Mine", like "Savior of mine"....

It's sickening!!!! :hair::hair::hair:

JESUS LOVES YOU! How ridiculous! What drivel! I too hope the church recovers from such non-christian and irresponsible notions.

If this isn't stopped, we're likely to come away from a worship service with the impression that we have a loving God who sent his only begotten son to die on a cross for our salvation. We're likely to think that God wants a personal relationship with......wait for it......ME!

It's disgusting! :hair:

(please not sarcasm):bounce:

fivesolas

Banned
So, is the central message of the BIble us or about God?

What is most important to God?

fivesolas

Banned
The central message of the Bible is God seeking us....

So God created mankind with the intent to let them fall so he could spend thousands of years seeking mankind who hates his guts? :huh:

Huntinfool

I'm just telling you what the message is. I don't hate his guts...do you?

The point of the OP, though, is that it is not ok to celebrate the fact that God loves us. That's an insane idea. I agree that some churches have taken God out of the message of God. But there are many more churches that are contemporary, have compassion on those that are lost around them and still follow a very conservative doctrine and theology.

Why does the exception make the rule for so many people?

rjcruiser

I agree that some churches have taken God out of the message of God. But there are many more churches that are contemporary, have compassion on those that are lost around them and still follow a very conservative doctrine and theology.

Why does the exception make the rule for so many people?

C'mon Huntin....I think it is the other way around.

And I'll go as far as to say that it isn't just seeker sensitive churches that have lost their compassion for the Word of God and their compassion for the lost.

Maybe I should start a poll on here....

Do you participate in your Church? (ie teach Sunday School, help with set-up/tear down, help out with Awana, nursery etc etc)?

I wonder how many complain about their church dwindling and yet do nothing to help out or never invite someone to their church.

Double Barrel BB

I can vouch for RJ, he has been after me for awhile now to come to his church...

RJ,
I plan on making it there before we move...

DB BB

Huntinfool

How many churches have any of use visited in the past couple of years?

Me? One.

How 'bout you guys? 15? 20? I'm guessing the answer is one.

How do we know what is going on in other churches? Guys like William Willimon, who have an ax to grind, write articles....and we buy it.

Huntinfool

and your assesment of those 15? Is the church collapsing around us like the doomsdayers say? Are they all selfish, self-focussed country clubs?

Or is God worshipped?

rjcruiser

How many churches have any of use visited in the past couple of years?

Me? One.

How 'bout you guys? 15? 20? I'm guessing the answer is one.

How do we know what is going on in other churches? Guys like William Willimon, who have an ax to grind, write articles....and we buy it.

Well, I'm like DB BB. About 3 years ago, the church my family attended splintered...bad situation...and it was a doctrinally sound church (I add that to say that it can happen to any church). For the next year, my wife and I visited many churches. Every Saturday night we had the conversation...so where are we going to go tomorrow. It was one of the most spiritually trying times in my life.

I can honestly say, that from the 15-20 different churches we visited, I'd be able to count on one hand those that preached the Bible with a focus on God. Most were a verse or passage read at the beginning with 5 points on how to make life easier and bunch of personal stories and jokes mixed in.....never another mention of the Bible.

And then we wonder why we've got debate in the spiritual forum on whether or not a person who is Gay can be a Christian...whether or not a woman can be pastor (that's for you Huntin ::ke::bounce::bounce:)...whether or not the Bible is without error....whether or not you can get to heaven through other means than Christ Jesus?

It amazes me at how lazy the typical church goer is. Not studying the Word on a regular basis. Going to church wanting to hear a feel good message....one that is entertaining....one that isn't too long...one that won't convict too much...one that covers more than just one verse. Going to a specific church because they like the music rather than focusing on the preaching and the ability for them to serve the greater church body.

Double Barrel BB

and your assesment of those 15? Is the church collapsing around us like the doomsdayers say? Are they all selfish, self-focussed country clubs?

Or is God worshipped?

This is only my opinion, from what I have observed...

my opinion... I would say that about 2/3's are more interested in getting numbers in the doors, than the souls of their visitors...

Only about 3 of the churches we have visited, called during the week after we visited, to talk with us... 2 deacons from one church came to our doorstep...

The 3 that called and the one visitation we had, all came from small churches, that leaned to the more traditional side of worship... there was one that was probably in the (in-between) style... none of the contempory churches called, sent a card, or came for a visit... I know this could be due to their larger audience... and people falling through the cracks so to speak...

From an outsiders point of view, (this could be biased on my part) the contempory churches seemed to be more "self" serving, I wouldn't say selfish, but more of an air of "it is about me" kind of attitude...

Some of the smaller more traditional churches were more interested in who you were, trying to build a relationship with you, and ask about your background and all...

Of course you are going to all types in all types of churches... these are just my experiences...

Again these are just my opinions and HF I have not been to your church, it maybe totally different...

DB BB

Edited to add: I am sure that God was being served by some in the congregations, I can only base my opinion on what I know... and seeing and hearing the preaching and worshipping, I have to say I saw much less serving God than serving themselves...

Double Barrel BB

well, i'm like db bb. About 3 years ago, the church my family attended splintered...bad situation...and it was a doctrinally sound church (i add that to say that it can happen to any church). For the next year, my wife and i visited many churches. Every saturday night we had the conversation...so where are we going to go tomorrow. It was one of the most spiritually trying times in my life.

I can honestly say, that from the 15-20 different churches we visited, i'd be able to count on one hand those that preached the bible with a focus on god. Most were a verse or passage read at the beginning with 5 points on how to make life easier and bunch of personal stories and jokes mixed in.....never another mention of the bible.

And then we wonder why we've got debate in the spiritual forum on whether or not a person who is gay can be a christian...whether or not a woman can be pastor (that's for you huntin ::ke::bounce::bounce:)...whether or not the bible is without error....whether or not you can get to heaven through other means than christ jesus?

It amazes me at how lazy the typical church goer is. Not studying the word on a regular basis. Going to church wanting to hear a feel good message....one that is entertaining....one that isn't too long...one that won't convict too much...one that covers more than just one verse. Going to a specific church because they like the music rather than focusing on the preaching and the ability for them to serve the greater church body.

amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huntinfool

I suppose I'm just more of an optimist.

I don't see the church at large like that. I do agree that there are a bunch of folks in every church who just want to be there to make themselves feel better or to fullfill their "christian duty".

But I'll also say that at every one of those churches, there is typically a core group (and sometimes a very large one at that) of people who do seek God, who do serve faithfully and who do want to grow.

If you find a church that doesn't have that core, give me a shout. I would argue that those churches don't survive long after the core dies.