"Jesus needed them more"

oldfella1962

I don't agree with "Jesus needed them more" but if that helps them cope with their tragic loss I won't fault them for saying it. Sorry but I would think Jesus can wait - if you are going to be with them for all eternity anyway then what's the rush? Regardless I wish the shooter would have used that new rifle to take out his frustrations on coyotes or something instead of people. :mad: or better yet start by putting the first round center mass of his own head.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
re:

Although that is not at all what was quoted in the article, those quoted are confident in the eternal security in Christ and have peace in the midst of their tragedy and full confidence in Him, even in their great loss! Sounds like true evidence of the power of the eternal perspective to me!

atlashunter

Although that is not at all what was quoted in the article, those quoted are confident in the eternal security in Christ and have peace in the midst of their tragedy and full confidence in Him, even in their great loss! Sounds like true evidence of the power of the eternal perspective to me!

It's exactly what was quoted in the article.

"I lost a lot of friends and family this morning, but that just means Jesus needed them more."

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
It's exactly what was quoted in the article.

"I lost a lot of friends and family this morning, but that just means Jesus needed them more."

It's an expression and their way of dealing with their loss. Doesn't mean Jesus needed them more and doesn't mean he's responsible.

atlashunter

It's an expression and their way of dealing with their loss. Doesn't mean Jesus needed them more and doesn't mean he's responsible.

Exactly. Just one of many feel good platitudes to help ease the pain of a harsh reality.

atlashunter

The woman in the article blames it on Jesus. I guess mass murder isn't so bad if Jesus is behind it. :crazy:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
atlashunter, have you ever held the hand of a dying person and told them that everything was going to be OK even when you knew it wasn't? If it were your child would you tell them they were about to die and that was just how it was?

It is in human nature to try to comfort others in distress. It is also in human nature to try to resolve personal stress if possible. I doubt that the statement quoted would be comforting to an Atheist, but it would be to a believer. I suspect that an Atheist involved in a similar situation would try to resolve his own stress and to comfort others.

Your interpretation that the speaker has blamed the event on Jesus is ludicrous and you know it. Our opinions differ and that is not a problem but intellectual dishonesty is not helpful.

atlashunter

They did blame Jesus although I realize that wasn't their intent. That is simply the logic of what they said. It would be intellectually dishonest to claim otherwise. It's also dishonest by definition to tell someone a comforting lie. I don't recall having ever done that but if I have or if I ever do then I'm in the wrong. I absolutely understand the need for comfort in the face of sorrow and pain. Just don't think being dishonest with yourself by engaging in fantasy and delusion is the way to go about it.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
re:

Just don't think being dishonest with yourself by engaging in fantasy and delusion is the way to go about it.

To them and to me it is never fantasy and delusion!!! We believe in the eternal God and Jesus Christ our Lord. The choice you've made is your choice and respected! But your choice doesn't make everyone else delusional, except in your own mind!

atlashunter

To them and to me it is never fantasy and delusion!!! We believe in the eternal God and Jesus Christ our Lord. The choice you've made is your choice and respected! But your choice doesn't make everyone else delusional, except in your own mind!

Years ago I lost a cousin and one of her identical twin daughters in a car accident. She was in her early 20's and the girl was 7. Also in the car was a woman her age with an infant. The infant was thrown from the car and survived but the mother died. I was still a believer at that time but even then I knew that the claims of "Jesus needed them more" were just bull squeeze platitudes to try to deal with a tragic loss. It struck me as dishonest then as it does now. They were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. It happens. Had I genuinely believed Jesus was responsible for leaving the other twin without her mother and sister that would have turned me against Christianity right then and there.

j_seph

I see this as a work of the devil, nothing more nothing less. This guy was of evil, there was no Love in his heart. Just like in Job when the Lord asked Satan from whence comest thou? He replied From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. He does this today just the same.

atlashunter

I see this as a work of the devil, nothing more nothing less. This guy was of evil, there was no Love in his heart. Just like in Job when the Lord asked Satan from whence comest thou? He replied From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. He does this today just the same.

Yep. Responsibility lies with the man pulling the trigger. Pretty simple. For the theist it does bring up the problem of evil.

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
― Epicurus

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Good grief. Do these people actually stop and think about the the implications of what they say?

Good Grief!!!! Do you people stop and think about the implications of what you believe?

SemperFiDawg

For the theist it does bring up the problem of evil.

For the the Christian, Evil isn't a problem. Christianity provides the explanation and solution, whereas Evil is a subject Atheism can't even address without contradicting itself and self destructing.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
For the the Christian, Evil isn't a problem. Christianity provides the explanation and solution, whereas Evil is a subject Atheism can't even address without contradicting itself and self destructing.

There is your claim. Back it up

atlashunter

For the the unthinking Christian, Evil isn't a problem. Christianity provides a failed explanation and an empty promise of a solution, whereas Evil is a subject Atheism makes no attempt to address.

fify

You're welcome. :cheers:

SemperFiDawg

Your interpretation that the speaker has blamed the event on Jesus is ludicrous and you know it. Our opinions differ and that is not a problem but intellectual dishonesty is not helpful.

"Intellectual dishonesty" is synonymous with Atheism. The fact that the his comment, aside from being infantile, is laughably false to anyone who reads the article is of no consequence to him. Anyone identifying as an Atheist has to first lie to themselves and swallow it. It should come as no surprise that people who can do so have no regard for the TRUTH.