"Jesus needed them more"

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
atlashunter, have you ever held the hand of a dying person and told them that everything was going to be OK even when you knew it wasn't? If it were your child would you tell them they were about to die and that was just how it was?

It is in human nature to try to comfort others in distress. It is also in human nature to try to resolve personal stress if possible. I doubt that the statement quoted would be comforting to an Atheist, but it would be to a believer. I suspect that an Atheist involved in a similar situation would try to resolve his own stress and to comfort others.

Your interpretation that the speaker has blamed the event on Jesus is ludicrous and you know it. Our opinions differ and that is not a problem but intellectual dishonesty is not helpful.

I held the hand of my dying mother in hospice. When I told her it was going to be ok, I also told her it was ok to go. She then gazed at the ceiling, beyond whatever we could see and started singing her favorite hymn in her weak faint voice, then she passed.

It was enough to tell me there was more out there because she saw it and I couldn't.

Not everything in this life or on this earth can be explained by science or reckoned with logic.

My wife has been an RN for 30 years. She has worked in three different hospitals on the Post Op Floor. Each and everyone of them had a presence, specter or ghost if you will that has been identified by multitudes of dying patients. At one it was a little boy, and each described him to the tee, though nobody else in the room could see him. He showed up in various intervals before the patient died.

My father n laws mother was in a coma for three weeks. While the family was in the room one afternoon she sat straight up in bed and started looking at one corner of the room then started speaking in a loud firm voice that her work wasn't done here and she was not ready to go. Then she laid back down into the coma. The next day she came out of it and lived a normal life for another five years before passing.

I could go on, but strange things happen in a hospital that no logic or science can dismiss.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
"Intellectual dishonesty" is synonymous with Atheism. The fact that the his comment, aside from being infantile, is laughably false to anyone who reads the article is of no consequence to him. Anyone identifying as an Atheist has to first lie to themselves and swallow it. It should come as no surprise that people who can do so have no regard for the TRUTH.
There is no greater intellectual dishonesty than a self identifying christian trying to point fingers at others in here.
You have provided us with more ID examples than most.
Priceless SFD.

atlashunter

There is no greater intellectual dishonesty than a self identifying christian trying to point fingers at others in here.
You have provided us with more ID examples than most.
Priceless SFD.

I'm glad he swings by on occasion. It's entertaining. :bounce:

PappyHoel

atlashunter, have you ever held the hand of a dying person and told them that everything was going to be OK even when you knew it wasn't? If it were your child would you tell them they were about to die and that was just how it was?

It is in human nature to try to comfort others in distress. It is also in human nature to try to resolve personal stress if possible. I doubt that the statement quoted would be comforting to an Atheist, but it would be to a believer. I suspect that an Atheist involved in a similar situation would try to resolve his own stress and to comfort others.

Your interpretation that the speaker has blamed the event on Jesus is ludicrous and you know it. Our opinions differ and that is not a problem but intellectual dishonesty is not helpful.

This...well said

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I'm glad he swings by on occasion. It's entertaining. :bounce:

Not me. He reminds of the ill mannered neighbor kid that just shows up in the yard during adult gatherings and kicks shins and runs away. At least I can lock my gate here.

atlashunter

Not me. He reminds of the ill mannered neighbor kid that just shows up in the yard during adult gatherings and kicks shins and runs away. At least I can lock my gate here.

Every time he throws out the "intellectually dishonest" bit it just makes me laugh.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Every time he throws out the "intellectually dishonest" bit it just makes me laugh.

No doubt, and then his claims of self defining christians not acting like Christ....
Pot meet Kettle

Artfuldodger

It's exactly what was quoted in the article.

"I lost a lot of friends and family this morning, but that just means Jesus needed them more."

It's possible the person saying this actually does believe it. Many Christians do believe everything is controlled by God.
Satan did have run it by God to mess with Job.

The Word was with God from the beginning. Therefore the purpose for the Word was in place or in God's word/mind from the beginning.
We've actually had this discussion concerning the death of Jesus on the religious forum.

It's a tough discussion.

Artfuldodger

When an Atheist kills, it's based on his individual will or his will influenced by Satan.
When an Islamist kills, he is doing it based on instructions from his God.
Therefore I guess we could say, some kill for religious reasons and some just do it out of evilness.

Artfuldodger

Is it possible that just a belief in any god makes individuals or a nation less evil than not having a belief in a god. We can look at Jews, Hindus, and most world religions and see various crime rates and how they compare with Christianity and Atheism.
So maybe even when one believes in the wrong god he gets some of the benefits of that religion's morality. By the same token he could also get some of that religion's bad traits as well.

atlashunter

It's possible the person saying this actually does believe it. Many Christians do believe everything is controlled by God.
Satan did have run it by God to mess with Job.

The Word was with God from the beginning. Therefore the purpose for the Word was in place or in God's word/mind from the beginning.
We've actually had this discussion concerning the death of Jesus on the religious forum.

It's a tough discussion.

Yeah maybe so. And why not if you're an immortal being simply transitioning from life in one realm to the next? Makes sense. Seems to cheapen the preciousness of this life to me. :huh:

red neck richie

I held the hand of my dying mother in hospice. When I told her it was going to be ok, I also told her it was ok to go. She then gazed at the ceiling, beyond whatever we could see and started singing her favorite hymn in her weak faint voice, then she passed.

It was enough to tell me there was more out there because she saw it and I couldn't.

Not everything in this life or on this earth can be explained by science or reckoned with logic.

My wife has been an RN for 30 years. She has worked in three different hospitals on the Post Op Floor. Each and everyone of them had a presence, specter or ghost if you will that has been identified by multitudes of dying patients. At one it was a little boy, and each described him to the tee, though nobody else in the room could see him. He showed up in various intervals before the patient died.

My father n laws mother was in a coma for three weeks. While the family was in the room one afternoon she sat straight up in bed and started looking at one corner of the room then started speaking in a loud firm voice that her work wasn't done here and she was not ready to go. Then she laid back down into the coma. The next day she came out of it and lived a normal life for another five years before passing.

I could go on, but strange things happen in a hospital that no logic or science can dismiss.

Testify Brother. I found that the aaa's don't like personal testimony because they cant explain it. Their go to card is what about the other religions that claim the same.

atlashunter

Testify Brother. I found that the aaa's don't like personal testimony because they cant explain it. Their go to card is what about the other religions that claim the same.

It's a pretty good go to card. Lots of people make lots of claims but when pressed for hard evidence they can't come up with it. That's why skeptics discount it and believers retreat to it when arguments that are easier to test fall apart. I used to retreat to personal experience too when I was a believer. Eventually I realized it was because I didn't have any other leg to stand on.

red neck richie

It's a pretty good go to card. Lots of people make lots of claims but when pressed for hard evidence they can't come up with it. That's why skeptics discount it and believers retreat to it when arguments that are easier to test fall apart. I used to retreat to personal experience too when I was a believer. Eventually I realized it was because I didn't have any other leg to stand on.

OK hop along repudiate the mans testimony then. You people don't believe anybody. Don't be a one legged duck either.

Dr. Strangelove

"Jesus needed them more"

Without getting into why would God/Jesus/The Great Spaghetti Monster "need" anyone if he/she/it is an all-powerful god, let me tell you a story about my ex-wife.

She was raised Catholic, in France, her home country. She's from a small village in the Champagne region, in the north of France near the German border.

When she was seven years old, a girl from a neighboring village was abducted, raped, and essentially tortured to death. Being upset by these events (my ex-wife, a seven year old girl), her mother took her to the village church to speak to the priest. After hearing her pour heart out and her fears, he told it was God's will.

That was the day when she stopped believing and became very much against organized religion, to the point that I had to walk her out of several family/friend weddings and funerals.

She decided then and there that if that was "God's will" then she no longer wanted to be associated with a church, or any church, that worshiped such a being.

Telling someone "it's God's will" or "Jesus needed them more" is simply trying to pacify them. If that gets you through the pain, then fine, but the truth is the world is a dirty, nasty place and everyone is responsible for their own actions. Sometimes you can do everything right and still get hosed.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

Quick on answers, short on thought, typical Ritchie reply.
Ritchie, the aaa's include atheists, agnostics and apologetics. You are saying that all three don't like personal testimoney. Well thought out.

"Their" go to card is a good card indeed. You use personal testimony as proof of your god and in the next breath dismiss personal testimony as proof of another god. If it is proof of one it is proof of all. If it is not acceptable for all it cannot be accepted for one.

I would wonder why is there a little boy specter roaming the halls and rooms of a hospital. He is not in heaven, he is not in h3ll. He seems to be between realms. How does seeing an apparition automatically give credence to a particular diety?

The AAs that use those questions have yet to be refuted, that is why the card is so good.
Run it till they stop it.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
See ritchie, you either forget or purposely ignore the personal testimony that most of the atheists and agnostics have shared in here. The testimony does not align with your wishes so you dismiss it.
You are guilty as as any other.