Just purchased my first bow, what now?

mbaker8686

I just purchased my first bow, Fred Bear Authority RTH package. It is sitting on my doorstep currently. I have always hunted with a rifle, but I want to go ahead and start getting ready for bow season next September. What is my next step? I know i need to get my draw length set correctly and purchase arrows that are fit to my draw length. Past that, I have no idea what the next step is.

Thanks in advance from someone brand new to the addiction.

BlackEagle

Banned
Find someone to tune it for you once you have arrows and what not. Then start shooting. Shoot in all possible conditions. Heat, freezing cold, rain, snow, dim light ect. Shoot at all distances and angles you possibly can. I promise you that deer isnt going to sit there at 30 yards and let you shoot it.

DuckArrow

Find someone to tune it for you once you have arrows and what not. Then start shooting. Shoot in all possible conditions. Heat, freezing cold, rain, snow, dim light ect. Shoot at all distances and angles you possibly can. I promise you that deer isnt going to sit there at 30 yards and let you shoot it.

Very good advice!

Especially the shooting at all distances and at all angles. Whether it is difficult or not. Believe me they aren't going to walk out and stand broadside and perfectly still at 15 yds. Plus, make sure you go ahead next season and kill a doe the first opportunity you get. Everything you do to prepare will not 100% prepare you for the actual thing standing in front of you. Experience is the best coach.

BlackEagle

Banned
Many bow hunters fail to practice properly.

Here's a tip for you, set up a target quartering away (hard quartering away) now back up to 70 yards or the farthest pin you have. If you say to yourself, "I'm going to lose this arrow" then you're ready to start. Don't be afraid to miss! Take impossible shots, it will make you a better archer. Learn to consistently make hard shots. If you become consistent at making the more challenging shots, the easier shots become a more simple task. When I practice, I shoot at really long distances, out to 100 yards.

Smackem

I just purchased my first bow, Fred Bear Authority RTH package. It is sitting on my doorstep currently. I have always hunted with a rifle, but I want to go ahead and start getting ready for bow season next September. What is my next step? I know i need to get my draw length set correctly and purchase arrows that are fit to my draw length. Past that, I have no idea what the next step is.

Thanks in advance from someone brand new to the addiction.
Next step is sell your gun, you will have no desire to shoot it anymore once you get addicted to archery.

MCNASTY

Very good advice!

Especially the shooting at all distances and at all angles. Whether it is difficult or not. Believe me they aren't going to walk out and stand broadside and perfectly still at 15 yds. Plus, make sure you go ahead next season and kill a doe the first opportunity you get. Everything you do to prepare will not 100% prepare you for the actual thing standing in front of you. Experience is the best coach.

Yeah go ahead and learn to kill deer with the bow before you get picky. I'd be shooting everything I could legally until you get the hang of it. You sorta have to have the mentality of a relief pitcher. A short memory can be very helpful. Because your gonna miss, your gonna get frustrated, you gonna watch them out of range, and you'll eventually lose a deer or two. Let it go and move on......this is bow hunting there's a reason everybody don't do it.

mbaker8686

Awesome! Thanks for all the advice! I took my bow to ace hardware in social circle, it's all set up and ready to shoot

The Fever

All this great advice and I am sitting here thinking "get it inside before someone steals it. "

merc123

Once you get it all set up go shoot in 3d archery shoots. Makes for some realistic shooting "in the woods" as everything looks different with trees.

The Fever

Once you get it all set up go shoot in 3d archery shoots. Makes for some realistic shooting "in the woods" as everything looks different with trees.

Isn't that the darn truth! I am pretty good but I seem to be blessed. I had a learning curve also. Get a cheap rangefinder unless you live on hilly ground. Then get one that adjusts for angle.

cocrymes

Watch Cameron Hanes youtube videos. He's mainly an Elk hunter but a complete BA, talks a lot about shooting in general and all of his advice is useful

Mission

for sure. i keep a ladder stand setup at my house for practicing out of. keeps it fun...a few targets/diff yd shots/angles