Just took a 600+ mile trip in an EV.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Lots of folks getting rich on this scam.

If we can figure out compact nuclear reactors (which is coming) then electric cars will win

They have them figured out at least for vehicles like submarines so why haven't they started building them for the general public?

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
They have them figured out at least for vehicles like submarines so why haven't they started building them for the general public?

Other places in the wrld are forging ahead with them. According to a buddy of mine who is a engineer for Duke Energy and has been in charge of "mothballing" the neuclear plant at Crystal River, your good old US government does not have the talent hired at the NRC to understand them. That and the public perception that the media has created that nukes are evil, account for the majority of the small reactor aversion here.

Lilly001

And try to go from Newton County to Telfair County. The only place I imagine that you would find a charging station is when you cross the I-16 below Dublin.
There are a couple in front of the Burger King just north of I-16.

Qazaq15

What I don't understand is why they don't just push hybrids harder. Give them a short range battery that gives maybe 50 miles of range, then gas kicks in after that. That would cover the round trip of 95% of the population. Instead we have to go all out and swear off internal combustion completely, which we as a society are not ready for.

sinclair1

What I don't understand is why they don't just push hybrids harder. Give them a short range battery that gives maybe 50 miles of range, then gas kicks in after that. That would cover the round trip of 95% of the population. Instead we have to go all out and swear off internal combustion completely, which we as a society are not ready for.
I can’t figure it either. Hybrid wins the comparisons every time. I still don’t plan on a hybrid either, but that’s only because of battery expense. I have had my truck since 2012 with no issues.
I probably wouldn’t have it if a $10k battery was needed two years ago.
I would get use out of a battery to work during the week and then a diesel for when I need power to pull or extend my range.

cowhornedspike

I'd consider getting an EV if they could eliminate the charging time. Make it as fast as filling my fuel tank and I'd go with it if I could afford the vehicle.

DannyW

Question for you hybrid owners...when the battery goes bad after about 8 years, can you still use the vehicle by using the gas side? Or is that vehicle dead until you replace the $5,000 - $10,000 battery?

I'm guessing you can still use it on gas because it would kill the resell value if you can't. Not many people want to buy an 8-year old vehicle knowing they have to immediately replace a $5-10k battery.

Timberman

Question for you hybrid owners...when the battery goes bad after about 8 years, can you still use the vehicle by using the gas side? Or is that vehicle dead until you replace the $5,000 - $10,000 battery?

I'm guessing you can still use it on gas because it would kill the resell value if you can't. Not many people want to buy an 8-year old vehicle knowing they have to immediately replace a $5-10k battery.

I am not a hybrid owner but I sold and drove Toyota hybrids for many years and the answer to your question is no. When the battery goes it will not run correctly.

Typical battery life for a Toyota hybrid is 200k miles. On the Prius cars an aftermarket battery which is as good as OEM will cost around 2k plus maybe 1k installation.

I sold hybrids using this logic. Lets just say you going to get 45mpg which is really on the low end and you're comparing against a car that gets 30mpg. At 45mpg fuel usage would be 4444 gallons over 200k miles and at 30mpg would be 6667 gallons over 200k miles. 6667-4444=2223 gallons saved over 200k miles. So with fuel at $4/gal your savings is $8892 over 200k miles. But if you are like most people you will not keep the car for 200k miles so you will trade before you incur the cost of a battery. Sign here and press hard you're making 3 copies :)

I have found that logic to be sound in regards to the Toyota Prius.

Triple C

I'd consider getting an EV if they could eliminate the charging time. Make it as fast as filling my fuel tank and I'd go with it if I could afford the vehicle.
Never owned an EV and may never own one, but I'll never say never. I've just been around Tesla owners here in the office since 2015. The new F150 Lightning with upgraded battery package is around $80K. Bout the price of a loaded Lariat with all the bells n whistles. Rated @320 mile range. Every one of my coworkers with EV's has had an electrician install the required receptacle in their garages for bout $500. Teslas all pushing 300 mile range on the Model S. Drive it to work, drive it home, take a few trips and plug it in when you get home. We've installed a charger at the office. Hardly ever gets used as none are making 300 mile round trip commutes.

Tesla says battery life is 1 million miles. Take that for what's it's worth. Buy a used certified Tesla as some of my buddies have and you get a 5 yr bumper to bumper warranty including batteries. Window motor goes out and you hit the app on your phone and a few hours later a service technician pulls up in the parking lot to repair. Same for a flat tire. Hit the app, provide tire info and service vehicle delivers and installs new tire. Tesla still dominates the EV market for good reason. They have it figured out.

But after taking a ride in the Lightning, it's apparent to me that all the auto makers are figuring it out. Torque from a standing start is leaps ahead of my 2017 Sierra. Like I stated earlier, it EV's prove to be a better mouse trap consumers will auto migrate to them without any nudging. More and more doing it every day.

Gonna be interesting to see if Rivian delivers on promises for their pickups. If they do we will all wish we had bought the stock when it tanked.

tr21

I cant believe you dont know, all EV's have a hatch on the floor board on the driver and passenger sides ( think flintstones ) as a emergency motion device ! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Dub

Who benefits from us swapping to electric vehicles ?

Communist China...that's who. Positioning themselves to be the major supplier of batteries and will dominate the market.

The batteries themselves are a horrid affair and present too many problems....cradle to grave. The production & mining of ingredients to build the batteries, the sole supplier, CCP, setting the price and the handling of spent batteries.......no thank you.

It simply plays right into the hands of CCP.

We are hamstringing ourselves by forcing our country into this energy "transition".

It's a farce.