KY is about to ruin GA hunting for me...

across the river

You are correct. It does drastically change your perspective . I went for a long time and rarely hunted Georgia, and spent as much time as possible out of state hunting for both ducks and deer. Then I became a parent, time became more and more precious, and the number of out of states days dropped to the point that I rarely go out of state anymore,(one trip a year tops). I know it will never be here what it is out there, but you never get the time back with you kids either. The multitude of activities doesn't leave a lot of free weekends (or weekdays for that matter) to hunt in Georgia, must less Missouri or Arkansas. I will be a full fledge empty nester here in three years, so I may ratchet the trips back up then.

GregoryB.

Christian County has some nice deer. Hunted all around that area when I was stationed at Ft Campbell . Lots of AG fields to fatten up those deer.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Buyer beware,
Especially if you live in one of the poorer areas for Ga. deer hunting. You may never be the same. Sometimes i wish id never went to Ky.

Kris,
From my experience following Ky. hunting. Christian county is a great place to be. My brother dosent live in Ky. anymore. Its been several years since ive been. I miss it.

TomC

Fella I know up here came in from hunting a bean field last night (Livingston County) and said he saw 20-25, half were bucks, two shooters out of range. I'm just getting acclimated up here but this is type of hunting experience I am not familiar with. Just normal to the locals!

South Man

Good luck out in Illinois this year Jim. It’s Iowa for me this year. I think we got lucky when we drew tag with 3 points. Not complaining one bit, VERY excited for November to get here!
you did for sure! I had three and wasn't so lucky! But-I am ready for 2021!!!!

Hunted Georgia my whole life...went out of state twice and hunted public land...it was just unreal how awesome it was and the amount of deer and mature deer you get to see....There is a reason those celeb hunters don't make footage in Georgia/south carolina/Alabama...they wouldn't have enough footage of killing mature deer to make a season full of hunts...even the show The Hunt Public guys have been very successful but when they come to the south to Mississippi...they just didn't have that success like they do in the midwestern states...we have good deer here, but its harder to kill them

Kris87

So what does a lease in KY run?

I only have to lease one of my properties. The other farms I hunt my friends actually farm, so we don't pay for those, but they are primo. The farm I lease we pay $20/acre for 220 acres, and that's cheap. A really good lease, especially in Christian county where I am, would normally be in the $30-35/acre range. The bad part about paying lease prices here is most of the farms are in ag, and only small portions are normally huntable, but you're paying for the whole thing.

ssramage

I got that same feeling after I lost access to the subdivision where my inlaws used to live. They were some of the first residents in a 3000+ acre subdivision when the recession hit. For most of their time there, about half of it was totally undeveloped and I had free reign. I chased some BIG deer around that place and it was not uncommon to see 30+ deer per sit.

The couple of years after I lost access were pretty miserable. I finally got the bug back though and managed to mentally change my standards of success.

uturn

That’s why I love to travel...Kentucky is the gateway to the mid west if you go that way, it’s just different than the piney woods! For a lot of reasons!

All you have to do is go one time and you’ll get it!

Sounds like you got it goin on for sure...congratulation!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Word is the turkey hunting is better south of Columbia and the deer hunting is better north of Columbia???

About right. We've been 30 miles east of columbia for the last 5 or 6 years. Kinda the best of both worlds. Incredible turkey hunting and incredible deer hunting but the deer don't have the genetics for giants like a few counties north.