Late season dove plot?

zaraspook04

Any suggestions on what to plant now for a late season dove shoot in the Statesboro, Ga area?Thanks for any suggestions!

Gut_Pile

Truly too late for anything. Pearl millet matures in 45 days. If you can find some, that could possibly work if we don't get a frost until mid November.

Turkeytider

Wheat or rye, maybe? If you can get weeds or grasses growing that produce seed, you can have birds. Some of the best dove hunting I`ve ever been on was on some non-descript field in the Missouri bootheel years back that just happen to have a carpet of grasses and weeds. Go figure.

Gut_Pile

Wheat/rye will not do any good for this year due to it not having a seed head yet.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Not sure of the dates but I think a certain date u can plant wheat and hunt over it , there’s always plenty on top of the ground when I get done planting

across the river

Not sure of the dates but I think a certain date u can plant wheat and hunt over it , there’s always plenty on top of the ground when I get done planting

This is going to be you best bet, but you have to plant during the time period recommended by the extension office for your region. You also can't just put the seed on top of the ground and not attempt to drag or cover it at all. The link below lists the planting dates for each seed type, and it has to be planted in that window. I think triticale has the latest window, and it is usually pretty cheap if you can find it.

https://extension.uga.edu/publicati...title=Planting Guide for Row Crops in Georgia