Laws and Precedents Pertaining to shooting a bear out of season in defense of dog

Bkeepr

Bring your little beagle to court with you, hopefully the judge is a dog lover too and will let you off the hook.

I wonder how nuisance bears would like some large bottle rockets? It might make them want to pick another tree to snooze in.

oldmanbill

Just pretend you are buying your dog back from the state, it will be easier to live with.

fish hawk

Bass Master
If it were me I would go ahead and pay the fine and be done with it.$150.00 is less than most speeding tickets plus you dog is still alive!!!

besclavon

final update after court

I just got back from court a little while ago and i had good results. The judge was understanding and the charge was dropped entirely. I did get the assistance of a local attorney and everything went well.

After the fact, I have heard from multiple local sources that DNR in the county were notorious for bringing a bunch of cases to court that were dropped because they were too far out there.

This occurred in white county in the Chattahoochee National Forest wilderness area on private property in the forest.

Although it was a pain, i am glad to find out that with effort, the local legal system is reasonable. I think it was worth the effort to not be branded a poacher for life.

thank you for all the advice

Banned
I just got back from court a little while ago and i had good results. The judge was understanding and the charge was dropped entirely. I did get the assistance of a local attorney and everything went well.

After the fact, I have heard from multiple local sources that DNR in the county were notorious for bringing a bunch of cases to court that were dropped because they were too far out there.

This occurred in white county in the Chattahoochee National Forest wilderness area on private property in the forest.

Although it was a pain, i am glad to find out that with effort, the local legal system is reasonable. I think it was worth the effort to not be branded a poacher for life.

thank you for all the advice

Just found and read this thread glad things worked out for you.I would have done the same thing, shoot the bear,without a second thought.As some of the other posts said my dogs are my kids they look to me to take care of them,and they return that with unconditional love and I think they do all they can to protect us.Being in White county if this had gone to court and I had been on the jury you would have been acquitted.

Georgia Hard Hunter

I'm glad the Judge was a understanding and reasonable person, but DON'T CALL THE DNR IN THE FUTURE, JUST DO WHAT YOU GOT TO DO AND BE DONE WITH IT.

RangerJ

Congrats to you for not (rolling over).Glad you got a favorable decision.Sometimes them Rabbit Sheriff's can be unreasonable.Just my 2 cents.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Shoot, shovel, and shut up. I can't remember who I am quoting here, but it is some fine advice.

Luke0927

Shoot, shovel, and shut up. I can't remember who I am quoting here, but it is some fine advice.

You know its a shame to have to be like that when you want to do the right thing and call it in but your right I think you'll be better off, bout like hawks and the other predators messing with your animals.