Leaders: Myth and Reality

Qazaq15

Seems to be the trend these days, a favorite exseal team gig. I attended a conference in San Diego where the speaker was a exseal team member and we were provided his leadership book.

I agree, the level of adulation these guys get is a bit much, and it makes me question their motives. Are you a Seal because you love your country, or are you just trying to cash in on a book contract?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
From a people perspective the military training that has been of value to me was SOF Cross Cultural Communications. How to use the values of indigenous peoples to achieve goals. Knowing what makes folks tick of different cultures definitely aids in team building.

BeerThirty

Haven't read the book but I've worked closely with veterans in both my professional business career as well as leadership positions in non-profit organizations.

I personally don't think the military is any better (or worse) at producing good leaders. One commonality I've seen with veterans is they tend to be "my way or the highway" kind of leaders and I wonder if that comes from chain-of-command system and obeying orders.

As far as some common traits that I've seen in good leaders, I would say (and in no particular order): confidence, humble/humility, positive-mindset, ability to talk-the-talk, hard-working, optimistic and a teamwork mentality.

oldfella1962

And that makes him knowledgeable about being a corporate executive how?
The military is in many ways a corporation, and there is some overlap to some degree. Both have people in management positions that require (or at least function more optimally with) people who can indeed lead versus manage.
Another thing to consider is a Navy SEAL Commander has more experience and people skills to offer to a corporate executive than a corporate executive has to offer to a military unit leader. A mission is a mission is a mission, whether military or corporate. Both have deadlines, priorities, internal politics, personal & professional conflicts, etc. etc. that can be dealt with better by having managers/leaders with better leadership skills.

oldfella1962

I agree, the level of adulation these guys get is a bit much, and it makes me question their motives. Are you a Seal because you love your country, or are you just trying to cash in on a book contract?
Why not both? :huh: It's a volunteer military since they abolished the draft, but it's not a "volunteer" military, and everyone has bills to pay.

Qazaq15

Why not both? :huh: It's a volunteer military since they abolished the draft, but it's not a "volunteer" military, and everyone has bills to pay.

They get a salary, and hazard pay and combat pay, tax free if it’s overseas. Delta Force does the same work the Seals do and they keep their mouths shut.

Tight Lines

Just to be clear, this book is not about the military or specifically military leaders...it is a hodge podge of leaders, some of which happen to be military, and it was written by former military guys interested in leadership...

Latest posts