Learn to tie the Pheasant Tail Nymph Saturday, Sept 11, on The Tying Bench!

Steve Hudson

When Frank Sawyer came up with the Pheasant Tail Nymph in the 1950s, I wonder if he knew that the pattern he had created would become a staple of fly fishers all over the world?

Yes, the Pheasant Tail Nymph is that good.

This Saturday on The Tying Bench, we'll tie the modern version of the Pheasant Tail Nymph. We'll also talk briefly about a couple of variations, including the Flashback Pheasant Tail and the Soft-Hackle Pheasant Tail -- and if time permits, we'll even tie up an original-style Pheasant Tail Nymph much like Frank Sawyer would have tied it about 70 years ago!

I'm sure you'll enjoy tying the Pheasant Tail Nymph. Combined with the Flashback Hare's Ear that we tied last week, this great pattern will go a long ways toward rounding out the "nymph" side of your fly box.

I hope you can join me Saturday morning on Zoom for this exciting and enjoyable tying clinic!

MATERIALS NEEDED for the modern Beadhead Pheasant Tail:

Hook: Size 12, 2XL straight-shank nymph hook.

Bead: Gold-colored, brass or tungsten bead suitable for the hook you're using. Various glass beads can also be used.

Thread: 6/0, black

Tail: Made from a bundle of fibers from a pheasant tail feather.

Ribbing: Small or extra-small gold- or copper-colored ribbing wire.

Abdomen: Same pheasant tail fibers that you used to create the tail, handled as discussed in our class.

Wing Case (and the legs): Another bundle of pheasant tail fibers.
Thorax: Several strands of peacock herl. Alternately, you can use dubbing in a shade of brown.

MATERIALS NEEDED to tie the original Pheasant Tail Nymph, as tied by Frank Sawyer

Hook: Size 12, 2XL straight-shank nymph hook.

Thread: No thread is used (that's right...no thread!)

Tail (and abdomen): Made from a bundle of fibers from a pheasant tail feather.

Ribbing (and thorax): Small gold- or copper-colored ribbing wire.

Wingcase: Another bundle of pheasant tail fibers

SPECIAL MATERIALS / TOOLS YOU'LL NEED:

* Dubbing wax (if you use the dubbed thorax option)
* Scissors suitable for cutting the wire

ZOOM LOGIN:

Saturday, Sept. 11, 10 a.m. Eastern
Meeting ID: 874 4585 7222
Passcode: FlyTying11

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Here's the master himself tying it as he designed it. No sound but a great historical perspective of one of the all time great patterns. Be interesting to see the modern tie as the old one can be difficult using only wire. The key is using thin enough wire. Gil
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Thanks for posting the video Gil

Latest posts