Leasing AG land Question

catch22

The land we have leased in the past has been almost 100% wooded.

We may have an opportunity to lease a couple smaller tracts from a farmer for next year. The thing is, the land is mainly agriculture land. There are strips of woods or small portions of the land that are woods. Example, one of the tracts is 70acres and the other is 140. The first piece probably only has about 15 acres of woods and the larger piece has maybe 30.

Are these types of properties still negotiated on price per acre.....or more of a flat rate deal??

Anyone who has experience with this would be appreciated. We want to be fair and honest with the farmer, but we also dont want to overpay for land that doesnt really have a ton of huntable "woods".

Rebel 3

No way I would pay the normal price per acre to hunt a field unless it was in a special place such as next door to some extremely well managed land.

Worley

U might not want to pay it however there will be plenty of people who will pay for the entire acreage including field. I wish you
Could negotiate woods only, I’d have a lot more cash in hand that’s for sure.

uturn

Dirt is dirt whether loaded with trees or beans has been my experience!

I will say that it only takes one great strand to change everything has also been my experience!

Good Luck!

aabradley82

What kind of agriculture? Cow pasture less likely for my money. Late beans planted back to wheat quickly, get you a good prop and plenty of bullets

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Price land for lease in the Midwest! Most of it is tillable land but you pay premium price for the entire track.
Gotta ask yourself, just how much is a deer worth.

Buckstop

Most situations you pay for all acreage including the field. The field feeds and attracts deer most the year and greatly enhances the carrying capacity of the tract. Your going to want to shoot deer in those fields too.

When those fields are full of beans and deer you may feel different and wonder if you really need to lease the woods too.

brdyhll

Had a farmer tell us he had some guys that didn’t want to pay for the fields. He said ok and leased them the woods instead. He then told a neighbor he could hunt the field which wasn’t leased and the guy killed a stud. Leasers were super mad. But they didn’t want to pay for that spot and another guy took advantage. I’d go with the offering a smaller amount and see if he takes it but if it were me I’d definitely lease the whole piece

catch22

If a buck chases a doe onto one of the fields, do you want to be able to legally shoot it?

Let me clarify from my original post. I dont have any desire to split the land or only lease the woods. I will lease the whole thing (field and woods)....I was just asking if the price is still kind of the same when land has alot of ag on it.

Im also well aware that AG means food and food means deer.......again, not trying to say that I wont hunt over the fields......

but there is a difference in "huntable" locations on a woods lease versus a lease with a ton of AG.

Thanks for all the responses.

Buckstop

but there is a difference in "huntable" locations on a woods lease versus a lease with a ton of AG.

True. Different approach on what a spot actually is. Takes some adjustment. But gotta remember your hunting dozens of trails and hundreds of yards all at once on a field. Use the wind and right access and you get lots more sits without having to bounce around.

We don't really enter the woods around our ag fields much at all. Nobody wants to go sit in the woods anymore and see just 30 yards and four deer, when they can sit on a field and see four or five times as many. It will make you lazy though. Got a garage full of climbers gathering dust that havent seen the woods in several years now.

treadwell

The other thing is, are you hunting it by yourself? If not, is the "huntable" woods going to be a sore spot once the season starts?

Meriwether Mike

Pasture land for cows leases at a much higher per acre rate than hunting land. I am not sure about Ag Land? Ask them what rate they want if it is Ag land? I would suggest you lease it if the rate is reasonable to keep other hunters out.

Dbender

True. Different approach on what a spot actually is. Takes some adjustment. But gotta remember your hunting dozens of trails and hundreds of yards all at once on a field. Use the wind and right access and you get lots more sits without having to bounce around.

We don't really enter the woods around our ag fields much at all. Nobody wants to go sit in the woods anymore and see just 30 yards and four deer, when they can sit on a field and see four or five times as many. It will make you lazy though. Got a garage full of climbers gathering dust that havent seen the woods in several years now.
Yep, if you go beating small patches of woods up those deer will just move over to the next patch that you don't have hunting rights on