Losing my place again. Lease, Public, or Permission?

ASH556

Good morning gents,
I didn't grow up hunting except the rare occasion (once or twice) with my grandpa. I killed my first deer at 19 or 20 on some property my uncle owned. I had a pretty amazing run of 15 years on some family friends' 120 acres outside Athens where I really learned to hunt and had some success. They sold that place 2 years ago. I was fortunate for the last 2 years to hunt another piece they owned in East Hall and had some success there too, though it was much more difficult due to the terrain. Well, now that place is for sale.

At this point I've scratched the big buck itch well enough. I'm not interested in joining a QDM club. I primarily enjoy bow hunting and does taste great and fill the freezer fine. I've also passed on larger bucks when I was either out of tags or simply because the landowner had asked that I not shoot any bucks. Self control in this regard is not an issue.

I have a wife and 3 kids ages 5, 8, and 10. The kids like to go sit about once a season, but aren't really into it. My wife has no interest. However, they do all enjoy eating venison. In fact, for as long as our supply holds out, it has replaced beef 100% in our diet. Usually that means 2-3 deer a year, of course depending on size.

Time is currently the most precious commodity with money being a close second given we're a single income family.

Looking ahead into the 2023 season, what would be your recommendation for a place to hunt and get some venison? We live in Braselton to give an idea of geography. The idea of going to "deer camp" for a weekend just doesn't fit our lifestyle and would require a large sacrifice on my wife and kids' part. Therefore, I'm hoping for something within an hour or so from home. Get up and drive to hunt the morning or maybe even evenings in the early season.

There are a few farms around us that regularly have deer in the fields. I asked one farmer a few years back and was clear that it would be bow hunting only. He flatly refused. "They're just for looking at" was his response. I guess maybe I need to get over that and ask some more, but I hate the idea of bothering people. I tend to be more "live and let live."

Other options I see would be either public or try to find a lease not too far away.

Not looking for anyone's honey hole if public is the answer, but some input (even via PM) would be greatly appreciated. I did hunt Allen Creek some back when it was an archery only WMA and never had any success. Been on Wilson Shoals a few times too with the same level of success (no deer seen). That was about 12-15 years ago though. Maybe things have changed?

The final thing I've considered is hunting behind my house. I live on an acre lot in a subdivision and my lot backs up to woods. Only some of my backyard is fenced in with open woods behind that. We regularly see deer in and around the neighborhood. I could be well within my lot and up a tree with bow in hand. Is it worth starting to feed now to get them coming and then just trying for a backyard doe?

Waddams

I think the only WMA's in the distance range you're looking at are Wilson Shoals and Lake Russell? I've seen deer occasionally near the entrance that runs up to the shooting range. I know people have success are Russell too. The thing about public land is scouting. You basically have to scout 90% of the time and hunt 10% of the time when you think you find good sign.

The WMA's are going to have localized areas of habitat that attract deer, and areas that the deer don't go because there's no cover, no food, too many people, etc. The trick is to figure out the spots they like and what time of year they like them and why? Then you figure out where they bed and you can start formulating a strategy.

Wilson Shoals in particular, I don't think has a strong herd. Lake Russell is a bit better from what I've read. I've never hunted either.

If you're willing range a bit farther (up to 2 hrs) there are better public land options. If you're willing to camp out for a weekend occasionally, you dramatically increase your scouting time so your success rates go up, and camping out makes the longer ranging forrays more feasible. Doesn't have to be every weekend, but a few here and there during the season is plenty justifiable. Day tripping to unfamiliar public land is likely going to be a rough learning curve though. It will take you several seasons to scout enough to find the right spots before you start having regular success on them. I've been attending a quota hunt at the same WMA for several years, only this past season I got my first deer at it (although I almost had a good one first year based on blind luck - he just wouldn't step out from behind cover enough to expose vitals and I didn't want to risk an iffy shot on what I could see of him!).

I think the other thought of asking more farmers for permission is a good one. I'm in a lease club but my wife and I like camping out there. If I were like you with family that isn't interested, I wouldn't be in a lease, I wouldn't be able to make use of it to get my money's worth without turning my wife into a hunting widow in the fall.

Offseason scouting (like now before things green back in too bad) actually contributes greatly to public land success. Go find the rubs, scrapes, bump 'em from bedding some. I did a fair bit of that at the WMA mentioned above last year so I had my spots to hunt narrowed down with better intelligence for the quota hunt this year.

Balancing hunting with family life in your stage of life is hard when the rest of the family isn't into it. I feel for you, been there done that. There isn't a good solution other than save the money you'd spend on a lease and go find a processor at the end of the season that is selling deer meat that someone dropped off but never picked up to restock the freezer each year (I've done that too to top off the freezer for the year).

Good luck!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I give you props for having the courage to ask! I’d recommend trying again. Meanwhile go online and use the maps on the go hunt Georgia sight….you have options not too far im sure of it

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Oh
I give you props for having the courage to ask! I’d recommend trying again. Meanwhile go online and use the maps on the go hunt Georgia sight….you have options not too far im sure of it
yeah, hunt behind you house too

SC Hunter

Get on qpublic and look for mid size lots of land 20-75 acres and go ask people. "Good evening sir/mam I noticed you have some beautiful property here and I'd like to ask permission to bow hunt your property. I'd be happy to help with yard work, a little money, deer meat etc if you would be willing to allow me to hunt your property." If you do get permission take care of the land owner. Buy Christmas presents, send them Christmas cards etc. Make that person love your family and you like their family.

I'm on the opposite end of the state from you so I have no idea about public land around you.

basshappy

BANNED
@ASH556 couple thoughts:
1. Speak with a few processors and see if they typically have unclaimed (unpaid) venison at the end of the season and ask them how you could go about purchasing it.
2. If you live in an area that you can legally hunt that might be an option. If your yard gets sunlight plant some Clover, turnips, and / or corn. Natural food that will attract deer (and not coons, squirrels, etc).
3. Find a WMA and scout it all Summer long. Find the indicators and find a few spots to post up in depending on the wind.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Also start applying for state park hunts.Panola mountain ,Hard Labor Creek,and Fort Yargo are all withing driving distance.

ucfireman

I would ask the local "farmers", that area up there is booming with construction. Maybe you can get fortunate.
I would look at Quota hunts, Clybel and the state parks. May not get to hunt them every year but its an option.
Like said Redlands is bog and not too far.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Braselton is only 1 hour from Redlands WMA. Lots of land there
What about White county? War woman comes to mind……but I can’t remember. It seems like there is a reservoir in the Northeast corner of the state too, that may have USACE opportunities.

Long Cut

I hunted WMA’s only from 19-27 years old. I’ve hunted all over South, Central and West GA. Mainly Bowhunting but we’d hit a Quota and/or check in when the opportunity allowed.

I now am a member or lease 3 separate properties. I’ll hit a Quota or Check In hunt sparingly nowadays compared to years past.

The difference between Public & Private land in my experience is noticeable. I can show up, climb a pre-set stand and guarantee to see deer. When I shoot a deer, it’s an easy retrieval out. There’s no 1/2-1 mile drags or de-boneing a deer to stuff in a frame pack at dark-30.

Having said all that, I’d try finding someone that will let you hunt. Barter services or offer to help around the property. Knocking on doors or mailing letters is challenging. I’d try sparking up conversations with folks in public and getting the word out.

Don’t get me wrong I love hunting WMA’s, but a man strapped for time is not one I’d recommend to hunt them... Especially with a bow. Unless you can convince the Wife/Kids to go scouting with you February-March but even then, the quality of scouting will be negligible.

My long winded .02 hope this helps

Jim Boyd

I personally would find private (one way or another) but it is worth it to me - even tho it elevates costs.

Good luck.

Hoosier06

DIPSTICK yankee
WMAs/public are what separate Americans from the euro trash who have to ask permission. I never noticed a shortage of deer on any georgia wma that I ever stepped on.

Jim Boyd

WMAs/public are what separate Americans from the euro trash who have to ask permission. I never noticed a shortage of deer on any georgia wma that I ever stepped on.

I am sure I am gonna get the joke in a few minutes, but I will give ya an out.

Is this what you are saying? True Americans that hunt WMA and public ground (that the American people paid for) get separated from (and somehow stand above) these Euro trash people because these so called “trash” ask or seek permission for access, presumably on private ground?

Is this where we are on this one, sir??

I’d be right interested to know your stance.

sportsman94

I like the idea of hunting public mostly, but it’s not quite feasible on my local wmas. Quota hunts at the beginning of turkey season puts your start date in the middle of April at the earliest. Deer hunting is only a couple weekends out of the year for the bonus buck hunts. It just doesn’t fit my style so I vote private. Nobody is stopping you from hunting public too. I love spending time on our wmas in Turkey and deer season, but also utilize private land when I can. I’d assess the open dates for your public land and see how it fits your schedule

Jim Boyd

I like the idea of hunting public mostly, but it’s not quite feasible on my local wmas. Quota hunts at the beginning of turkey season puts your start date in the middle of April at the earliest. Deer hunting is only a couple weekends out of the year for the bonus buck hunts. It just doesn’t fit my style so I vote private. Nobody is stopping you from hunting public too. I love spending time on our wmas in Turkey and deer season, but also utilize private land when I can. I’d assess the open dates for your public land and see how it fits your schedule

I’m still hung up on what seems to be second class Euro trash that have to ask permission.

I fear, with some trepidation - that with my Scottish roots and my leased ground (along with ground I simply have permission to hunt), our friend @Hoosier06 may consider me Euro trash.

Just trying to see how I should be characterized.