Losing my place again. Lease, Public, or Permission?

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
I am sure I am gonna get the joke in a few minutes, but I will give ya an out.

Is this what you are saying? True Americans that hunt WMA and public ground (that the American people paid for) get separated from (and somehow stand above) these Euro trash people because these so called “trash” ask or seek permission for access, presumably on private ground?

Is this where we are on this one, sir??

I’d be right interested to know your stance.
I think he was saying we have public land and Europe does not. Also Americans are better than Europeans.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I like all 4 options , I’ve asked for permission/bartered , am in a lease , hunt in my backyard and hunt public land often . After losing my lease I’d been in my entire life I said I’d never join another , I lied to myself . I do think I’d really enjoy strictly hunting public lands . Almost didn’t join my lease this season but I did , I think mostly because I enjoy the year round experience the most . Planting food plots , making mineral sites and just the year round access

westcobbdog

So thankful for our public land!!! I love spending time in it. I have three WMAs real close to my house and the national forest little less than an hour away. I enjoy getting out exploring and of course getting some groceries.
I have a few places to hunt around Ga. but also but really enjoy any time I get to hunt 30 min west of me at Paulding Forest WMA. As Paulding County rapidly develops there are still a few mostly remote and peaceful spots that hold plenty of deer, not to mention some beautiful woods.

Timberbeast

Following a move to a new state a few years ago, I decided to hunt a management area mostly because of the high lease rates around me/difficult time securing a place. That turned into 3 years of hunting public land for both turkeys and deer. I was humbled real quick. I had folks bump into me and I bumped into them. Just have to let that go and respect those out there.
I developed a new set of skills and quickly gained appreciation for simply seeing a deer because it was tough. I will never forget how excited I was to get a doe on public land. I’ve fortunately got back to Georgia and have a little place of private land to hunt….I am thankful for the public land we have available and could easily find myself back on it any year.

chrislibby88

You don’t have to pick one. Seek permission, hunt local public land when it’s open, and join a decent lease IF you can find one. I’ve never been in a lease or club. I own my own land, 20 acres, and hunt it along with my in-laws 30+ acres next door. We eat more deer than I can responsibly shoot off my small chunk of land and it’s easy to burn out small acreage hunting it too often. I also have a drive to stretch my legs and explore new ground so I also hunt 3-4 local WMAs during archery and check in hunts, and travel to north GA public land twice per season for deer and bear. I may add in another non local deer hunt this next fall too. I hunt turkeys exclusively on public because I don’t feel like the turkey numbers are high enough to shoot the few birds that occasion my back yard land.
Public is a lot of fun but will take some time to figure out, or you may walk in blind and get lucky. It’s happens, to me, and almost anyone that does it long enough. I enjoy it, and despite the common complaints that you hear, I’ve never been in an unsafe situation and running into other hunters isn’t that big of a deal. It doesn’t take long to figure out where 90% of the folks like to hunt, then you hunt where they aren’t, or hunt WHEN they aren’t. Bow season on most WMAs isn’t crowded at all. Even the busiest places I hunt are ghost towns during archery. Give it a try. Worst thing that happens is you become a better hunter.

sprewett

I have a few places to hunt around Ga. but also but really enjoy any time I get to hunt 30 min west of me at Paulding Forest WMA. As Paulding County rapidly develops there are still a few mostly remote and peaceful spots that hold plenty of deer, not to mention some beautiful woods.

Attachments

• IMG_20221029_170832625_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221029_170832625_HDR.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts