Lest there be any doubt

fishnguy

Rudy did not start at Notre Dame as an defensive lineman. Notre Dame was 8-3 that year and finished #17 in the country. Rudy was a walk on who wasn't offered by anyone out of high school who made the scout team at Notre Dame.

Stetson Bennett is UGAs Rudy with the difference being we are starting our scout team QB who is actually our second string QB for whatever reason. We can beat everyone on our schedule with our Rudy. Might even beat Alabama with our Rudy. May do it twice....but I suspect very little money would be wagered on our doing so. The upside is that should we manage to win a natty with what is, for all intents and purposes, our scout team QB it will be one of the greatest stories ever written in the annals of college football history....and Kirby Smart will have proven to be the greatest coach the game has ever known and it ain't close. Bear Bryant never won a natty with a scout team QB. Nick Saban couldn't do it. No one has ever done it. Kirby Smart may well be the first. I'd bet not many people would bet on it......
I think, if the TEAM(offense/defense) rallies around who ever is able to play, they have a decent chance!

BamaGeorgialine

Rudy did not start at Notre Dame as an defensive lineman. Notre Dame was 8-3 that year and finished #17 in the country. Rudy was a walk on who wasn't offered by anyone out of high school who made the scout team at Notre Dame.

Stetson Bennett is UGAs Rudy with the difference being we are starting our scout team QB who is actually our second string QB for whatever reason. We can beat everyone on our schedule with our Rudy. Might even beat Alabama with our Rudy. May do it twice....but I suspect very little money would be wagered on our doing so. The upside is that should we manage to win a natty with what is, for all intents and purposes, our scout team QB it will be one of the greatest stories ever written in the annals of college football history....and Kirby Smart will have proven to be the greatest coach the game has ever known and it ain't close. Bear Bryant never won a natty with a scout team QB. Nick Saban couldn't do it. No one has ever done it. Kirby Smart may well be the first. I'd bet not many people would bet on it......
Kirby greatest coach ever? Because Stetson Bennett was the quarterback? What in the world have you been smoking dude?!! That's the craziest thing I think I've ever heard. It would be remarkable! Amazing! A great story! But Kirby the greatest coach ever because of a fantastic defense and a 2nd string quarterback that will have about 12 starts by then. Good gracious man.

DannyW

Do you realize what you just wrote?

GTMODawg

BANNED
Kirby greatest coach ever? Because Stetson Bennett was the quarterback? What in the world have you been smoking dude?!! That's the craziest thing I think I've ever heard. It would be remarkable! Amazing! A great story! But Kirby the greatest coach ever because of a fantastic defense and a 2nd string quarterback that will have about 12 starts by then. Good gracious man.

No, Bennett being the QB would not qualify Smart as the best coach ever...winning a natty with Bennett at QB is another story entirely. To win a natty you are going to have to win 3 games against at least one pretty good team in the SEC CG and another against another pretty good team in the semi finals and then another against most likely a VERY good to excellent team in the Championship game. At least one of those teams is going to have a defense also, most likely...they aren't going to be using a gimmick defense where they are conceding the run like Arkansas did to prevent big plays down field. Bennet has shown what he is capable of against a defense. He threw 4 interceptions to 3 TDs in games last season against defenses and was 5 of 16 for 78 yards in one of those games. All of this was with one of the best receivers in the nation. If Smart manages to coach UGA to a natty this year with Bennett starting he will have done something the best coaches in the history of the game have never done...he will have won a natty with a scout team QB.

There is no question that UGA can beat everyone on the schedule with Bennett. Whether it will happen or not is yet to be seen but we will be favored in every game the rest of the way...until the post season. Bennett is perfectly capable of winning against teams who struggle defensively as each of the teams we have played this season, save Auburn with a lake, which made Daniels struggle, do. It is entirely possible that UGA plays 15 games this season and never needs a game winning drive that requires accurate passing into tight coverages. If we do we would arguably fielded the best team ever to play college football and the coaching job that it would require would be the best that had ever been accomplished. To go 15-0 or 14-1 in a season and NEVER get in a game where your offense has to be balanced and productive in adverse conditions is unheard of in college football....but it is entirely possible.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Just don't act like Athens is the mecca. It's really not

You're absolutely right. One other thing is for certain. CFB Mecca ain't located nowhere in Alabama.:bounce:

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
You're absolutely right. One other thing is for certain. CFB Mecca ain't located nowhere in Alabama.:bounce:

Darn straight. Pretty sure there's a REAL good reason the CFB HoF ain't there.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Do you realize what you just wrote?

Absolutely realize it. If UGA wins a natty this year with Stetson Bennett as the starting QB it will go down as one of the most unlikely national championships in the history of college football. It will have never been done before. In an era where top rated recruiting classes and QB play which allows natty winning QBs to go in the first round of the NFL draft we will have won a natty with a walk on scout team QB. One who had a 56% completion rate and lead the league in interceptions in JUCO in 2019.

I think that the thing that most folks fail to realize is how historic and what a unique story Stetson Bennett is NOW, let alone his winning a natty. Its not unusual for folks to miss such earth shaking events as they happen.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Absolutely realize it. If UGA wins a natty this year with Stetson Bennett as the starting QB it will go down as one of the most unlikely national championships in the history of college football. It will have never been done before. In an era where top rated recruiting classes and QB play which allows natty winning QBs to go in the first round of the NFL draft we will have won a natty with a walk on scout team QB. One who had a 56% completion rate and lead the league in interceptions in JUCO in 2019.

I think that the thing that most folks fail to realize is how historic and what a unique story Stetson Bennett is NOW, let alone his winning a natty. Its not unusual for folks to miss such earth shaking events as they happen.

I got just 4 words for you - Buck Belue.

GTMODawg

BANNED
I think, if the TEAM(offense/defense) rallies around who ever is able to play, they have a decent chance!

Me also. They have already proven this 2 years now. That is a coaching staffs job...to get buy in to the scheme. This staff is doing a remarkable job but best not point this out lest someone jump to the conclusion that you are higher than a Georgia pine.

Seriously...find ANYONE who predicted Stetston Bennett would be the starting QB for a national title winning team. That person would have made Nostradamus look like the piker he was....

BamaGeorgialine

No, Bennett being the QB would not qualify Smart as the best coach ever...winning a natty with Bennett at QB is another story entirely. To win a natty you are going to have to win 3 games against at least one pretty good team in the SEC CG and another against another pretty good team in the semi finals and then another against most likely a VERY good to excellent team in the Championship game. At least one of those teams is going to have a defense also, most likely...they aren't going to be using a gimmick defense where they are conceding the run like Arkansas did to prevent big plays down field. Bennet has shown what he is capable of against a defense. He threw 4 interceptions to 3 TDs in games last season against defenses and was 5 of 16 for 78 yards in one of those games. All of this was with one of the best receivers in the nation. If Smart manages to coach UGA to a natty this year with Bennett starting he will have done something the best coaches in the history of the game have never done...he will have won a natty with a scout team QB.

There is no question that UGA can beat everyone on the schedule with Bennett. Whether it will happen or not is yet to be seen but we will be favored in every game the rest of the way...until the post season. Bennett is perfectly capable of winning against teams who struggle defensively as each of the teams we have played this season, save Auburn with a lake, which made Daniels struggle, do. It is entirely possible that UGA plays 15 games this season and never needs a game winning drive that requires accurate passing into tight coverages. If we do we would arguably fielded the best team ever to play college football and the coaching job that it would require would be the best that had ever been accomplished. To go 15-0 or 14-1 in a season and NEVER get in a game where your offense has to be balanced and productive in adverse conditions is unheard of in college football....but it is entirely possible.
Dawgs won't blow everyone out with Bennett at quarterback. They'll be more three and outs which will flip field position and matter how good a defense is, when they are on the field a lot they'll get gassed. I'm not saying that the Dawgs won't win a championship or not go undefeated. They aren't blowing everyone out all through the playoffs though. They'll be a couple of legitimate test along the way. In the last decade, how many times does Bama get blown out? They'll lose some but, blown out? I don't think so

GTMODawg

BANNED
I got just 4 words for you - Buck Belue.

I figured someone would run that up and it is a valid point other than the fact that Buck Belue was heavily recruited out of high school and was the scout team QB. He aslo played in an ear where one back getting 40+ carries a game wasn't unheard of....and he did it on a team with one of the greatest CFB players to ever set foot on a football field. Buck Belue, in the absence of Herschel Walker, would not be a natty winner either. Good point. Its pretty notable when a mediocre QB like Belue manages to win a natty. Imagine the stories should a walk on scout team QB do so in this era......

MudDucker

Staff member
Just don't act like Athens is the mecca. It's really not

Talk about a homer. Tuscaloosa ain't got a thing on Athens .... well except being the home port of cousins.com. :bounce:

I've spent a good bit of time in both. Guess what, Athens ain't mecca, because we ain't muslims. Athens is just one of if not the best college town in the country.

MudDucker

Staff member
I figured someone would run that up and it is a valid point other than the fact that Buck Belue was heavily recruited out of high school and was the scout team QB. He aslo played in an ear where one back getting 40+ carries a game wasn't unheard of....and he did it on a team with one of the greatest CFB players to ever set foot on a football field. Buck Belue, in the absence of Herschel Walker, would not be a natty winner either. Good point. Its pretty notable when a mediocre QB like Belue manages to win a natty. Imagine the stories should a walk on scout team QB do so in this era......

Buck is like Stetson, he just won games. He won a lot down here in high school, because he had a good head on his shoulders and no quit in his game. He could make all of the throws, except for more than 50 yards.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Care to update this post G? Bennett had a stellar game yesterday.

BamaGeorgialine

Talk about a homer. Tuscaloosa ain't got a thing on Athens .... well except being the home port of cousins.com. :bounce:

I've spent a good bit of time in both. Guess what, Athens ain't mecca, because we ain't muslims. Athens is just one of if not the best college town in the country.
Ok