Letting a friend hunt

Joe Brandon

Hey guy’s question. I have a really good buddy who I let hung my land last year. Granted I just have over 5 acres. We’re in Waleska and we have a very healthy deer population. Well last year my buddy came to hunt 2-3 days out the week, always wanted to bring his adult son or his brother with him. Well his soon ended up shooting a little this years deer and it ticked me off. Granted that’s on me because I never set parameters I recon I just assumed. Anyway fast forward this year and I told him this year he’s only welcome once every two weeks, only him, and only mature bucks or does.

I feel a bit guilty because he has been very good to me, done me a lot of favors as a neighbor and friend. With that said I don’t want my 5 acres over hunted. I look at it as my sanctuary God has loaned me while I’m here.

Any thoughts and have any of you guys experienced this? Thanks!

Tight Lines

It's your land...unless he has a right to it, which it sounds like is only granted by you, then you should not feel guilty.

Had a guy kill a 3.5 yo 8 pt. on my lease when we were supposed to be whacking does at season end. His son shot it, and I didn't say a word to the son, but I let the dad know that was his first and last deer on my property. We're still friends but we don't hunt together anymore.

Fences make good neighbors...

rstallings1979

Hey guy’s question. I have a really good buddy who I let hung my land last year. Granted I just have over 5 acres. We’re in Waleska and we have a very healthy deer population. Well last year my buddy came to hunt 2-3 days out the week, always wanted to bring his adult son or his brother with him. Well his soon ended up shooting a little this years deer and it ticked me off. Granted that’s on me because I never set parameters I recon I just assumed. Anyway fast forward this year and I told him this year he’s only welcome once every two weeks, only him, and only mature bucks or does.

I feel a bit guilty because he has been very good to me, done me a lot of favors as a neighbor and friend. With that said I don’t want my 5 acres over hunted. I look at it as my sanctuary God has loaned me while I’m here.

Any thoughts and have any of you guys experienced this? Thanks!
Sorry to hear your situation. I have put myself in similar situations in the past and I have had to set guidelines up front. I have found if you give a little up front they will try to take a little more and more each time and you have to stop it at the beginning.

Jim Boyd

Tough call.

I put family and friends on my place all the time and I put no restrictions. To me, it is just one more deer.

Again that is a tough call.

With 5 acres I might not put anyone on it

Best of luck……

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Your land, your rules.

I'm real selective of who I will let hunt my land. And I always let them know up front what my rules are.

If they don't like it, tuff.

basshappy

BANNED
@Joe Brandon put it out to us here in the peanut gallery and you will get the responses you probably already expect to read. What matters is what you think and feel about it - your friendship, your land, hunting, etc. Sounds like you could have an easy conversation with your friend and share with him what you shared with us. Too often folks are totally unaware of something. You and your friend could have a healthy chat and see what the outcome ends up being. Think of what you want and are open to before you talk, and then go have a chat.

bullgator

If you feel further explanation is needed, tell him the truth. You only have 5 acres and there are certain things you’d like to see accomplished that over hunting won’t allow. You’re pretty much splitting your own time on the property with him which should be enough. Just remember, blood is thicker than water.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Let him know that on a club, fifty acres per person is a hard crowd.
And at that rate, the land will not support the constant harvest of each member's wishes.

Lilly001

I have a good buddy who I allow to hunt my place. He follows my rules and is always available to help.
He just bought land nearby and his rules mirror mine.

turkeykirk

Took a buddy to some property I had permission to hunt. Told him I couldn’t bring him but once. Went back later and found him and another guy hunting it. Never hunted with him again. Guess I should have blindfolded him on the way in. :biggrin2:

kingfish

Got a buddy with the same type of situation. Small parcel, but holds some good bucks as they come and go. He told his family that he is now trophy hunting only, and it's just him. He averages a good buck every other year or so. No one bothers him any more.