Letting a friend hunt

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I have a friend who has 5 acres and I could probably go every day. I’d prefer him to get one so I kinda push him to go. I brought out a feeder and fill it too. I enjoy his excitement and this year we had a few really nice ones come through. Sounds like y’all were having fun together and it’d be nice to see that again. If that’s all ya got and you hunt it hard, limiting others is gonna be necessary for success probably.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you invited him to hunt, and didn’t set any rules for him, then got mad when he killed a deer, then you’re way in the wrong, not him. Sorry. There are literally millions of deer, friends are precious. I really don’t understand the idea of making antlers more important than friends. If that stings, sorry, but it should. Because all this deer management jealousy and teenage drama crap is stupid. If I invite someone to hunt my land, I’m happy for them to kill a deer that makes them happy. If I don’t want somebody to hunt my land, I don’t invite them to hunt it.

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
If you invited him to hunt, and didn’t set any rules for him, then got mad when he killed a deer, then you’re way in the wrong, not him. Sorry. There are literally millions of deer, friends are precious. I really don’t understand the idea of making antlers more important than friends. If that stings, sorry, but it should. Because all this deer management jealousy and teenage drama crap is stupid. If I invite someone to hunt my land, I’m happy for them to kill a deer that makes them happy. If I don’t want somebody to hunt my land, I don’t invite them to hunt it.
I agree. 3 or 4 years ago I let my buddy and his dad and daughter hunt my place during the rut right after me and my family had hunted and left for the week. My buddy’s dad sat in my stand and hadn’t been there 2 minutes and killed a big 10 we had been hunting all week and year. I wasn’t the first bit mad just happy that someone was able to kill a good buck and it happened to be one we were after and a good one. I would do it all over again if things were the same.

Well said

Big7

The Oracle
Hey guy’s question. I have a really good buddy who I let hung my land last year. Granted I just have over 5 acres. We’re in Waleska and we have a very healthy deer population. Well last year my buddy came to hunt 2-3 days out the week, always wanted to bring his adult son or his brother with him. Well his soon ended up shooting a little this years deer and it ticked me off. Granted that’s on me because I never set parameters I recon I just assumed. Anyway fast forward this year and I told him this year he’s only welcome once every two weeks, only him, and only mature bucks or does.

I feel a bit guilty because he has been very good to me, done me a lot of favors as a neighbor and friend. With that said I don’t want my 5 acres over hunted. I look at it as my sanctuary God has loaned me while I’m here.

Any thoughts and have any of you guys experienced this? Thanks!
I haven't read all the responses yet but I will.

Prolly already been said but buddys is one thing, setting boundaries on hunting land, ESPECIALLY on a small tract, should be a given.

He shouldn't have a problem with it and he should be grateful to have a place, even a small place to hunt.

Just lay it on him and tell him it ain't personal BUT... THIS IS HOW IT'S GOING TO BE:
Then list out the conditions and not what you want, but what you are going to REQUIRE for hjm to have the PRIVILEGE to hunt your dirt.

A)......
B)......
C).....
D).....

So on and so forth and make it clear that these are RULES and the are NOT NEGOTIABLE. PERIOD.

Or... PM me his number and I'll straighten him out. :wink:

Last edited:

FlipKing

Yes and no. Sounds like friend was taking advantage of his generosity and would have soon ruined his 5 acres. I think having open communication is good and just let him know the expectations and why. I try to help people where I can and take them hunting but at the same time I'm sweating doing the work and budgeting the money to create the opportunities. I'm probably going to guard those opportunities a little bit.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I think what you have asked of your friend is perfectly fine .
If I had 5 acres that I liked to hunt and I invited a friend to hunt it I wouldn’t want 2-3 people on it 2-3 days a week .
And if you’d like to have a chance at a mature deer that ain’t likely gonna happen with that much pressure.
If he is truly a friend I say he understands and will go by your wishes . Good luck

fullstrut

Don't feel guilty. I finally was able to purchase my own land and lease adjoining property and only me and my Sons will hunt it for the first time this year. I'm not a selfish person by any means ,but I have even made rules for us 3 to hunt only a few weeks this season and not over hunt the property. Your property your rules. Like said before a true friend would understand your concerns.

ucfireman

Its your land, he has no "right" to it unless you give it to him.
If you dont care what he shoots than let him hunt it. If you care what is shot then dont allow him on it.
My experience is folks will shoot what makes them happy not what makes you happy.

A buddy hunted my place a few years ago. I told him "big buck or mature doe with no fawn". He shot a mature doe, told me when he went to her he could have shot another doe too. "it just sat there and watched me". I knew it was her fawn and he never came back, neither has anyone else.
I was happy for him and never said a word about the situation.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I share my farm with friends to hunt and have done so for decades only asking that they lend a hand at some of the work involved with hunting. I have taken a lot of pleasure from being able to share it through the years.

But if I only had 5 acres I don't think that I would allow anyone to hunt it but me and my immediate family. The pressure put on a 5 acre tract would be incredible if it is hunted very often because there would be so few places to set up.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My only rule on my land is DO NOT shoot a doe. Ever. And I will make that very clear at the onset to anybody hunting on it. I could care less about little bucks, big bucks, whatever. The does are the most important part of the deer population, and are the future. Bucks come and go. As long as you have a good doe population, there will always be bucks, of all sizes.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Man, I've pulled some nice bucks off less than 3 acres a few times. It all boils down to being at the right place at the right time is the #1 thing I've learned hunting.
A couple of the best spots I've ever hunted in my life were 5-15 acre properties that were all funnel. But, realistically, whatever you do on five acres is not going to have the least bit of impact on the local deer as a whole.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Absolutely. It’s deer hunting.

Ok, your pic makes the whole thing a little more clear, and it makes more sense, sort of.

Looks like you got yourself a nice little hidey hole.

I'd be keeping it to myself, especially if your neighbors hunt their lots too.

Good on you for trying to help a friend with a spot to hunt. Your place, your rules.

Hope y'all get a big un slippin' in off the farmland!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, your pic makes the whole thing a little more clear, and it makes more sense, sort of.

Looks like you got yourself a nice little hidey hole.

I'd be keeping it to myself, especially if your neighbors hunt their lots too.

Good on you for trying to help a friend with a spot to hunt. Your place, your rules.

Hope y'all get a big un slippin' in off the farmland!
This. Just set rules if you expect people to follow them. Most folks don't have ESP. And, a friend is still worth more than a deer.

Latest posts