Letting a friend hunt

Joe Brandon

Ok, your pic makes the whole thing a little more clear, and it makes more sense, sort of.

Looks like you got yourself a nice little hidey hole.

I'd be keeping it to myself, especially if your neighbors hunt their lots too.

Good on you for trying to help a friend with a spot to hunt. Your place, your rules.

Hope y'all get a big un slippin' in off the farmland!
And yes sir neither of neighbors on either side hunt. One is a single man over 80 been there 30+ years and the other is a young family.

hikingthehills

Be careful who you deer hunt with. I had what I thought was a good friend only to have him stick a knife deep in my back. I had got access from a guy who bought and sold a lot of property. The land I was hunting was loaded with deer. After my second year hunting it he mentioned wanting to get his wife on a deer so I cleared it with the land owner. They came up and sure enough on their first hunt she gets her a deer. I introduce him to the owner so he can start regularly hunting the property since he wasn't happy with the club he was in. BIG MISTAKE.

The property owner ends up getting more land and we started hunting it. Next thing you know his dad is out there and they have the place covered in stands. Every time I mentioned I was wanting to go hunt somewhere it magically was the same place he planned on hunting.

Well that goes on for a couple of years and next thing you know I found out the property owner has bought more property. The guy I invited to hunt with me has already been out there with his dad setting up stands and didn't even mention it to me that there was new land. I mention going out there to hunt and he gets upset about it. Then I find out he's cutting deals all behind my back with the land owner. This guy turned out to be a major piece of crap.

Not saying it's anything similar to the situation you have but friends can be lost over hunting. Going forward in life I won't mix friends and hunting, that whole experience changed the way I look at things. I own land myself and nobody will be hunting it unless it's immediate family.

Tight Lines

People are people. Deer hunting makes people do some really irrational things for whatever reason. I take folks regularly to one of my leases because we are overrun with deer and does...I don't care what they shoot, but due to rules that I didn't make, they can only shoot does...yet someone always decides the rules don't apply to him or her, and away we go.

It's really sad to me that people can't hunt or fish for the sheer enjoyment, and respect the rules whether they be state or club...

You can hunt a small property and if it's a funnel like my back yard, there are dozens of deer that traverse it every single day...

Friends will respect your wishes, and if they don't then I'm fine losing them as friends, because they were never a friend in the true sense of the word anyway...

Sounds like it worked out for the OP which is great...

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I appreciate you guys always.
Good deal.

I let my neighbor who was an autistic son go occasionally. I basically build him a box blind to sort of control where he hunts. We give him Sundays……we don’t hunt Sundays……church and family day. He’s killed two does. But I have to say no at times when he wants to invite others. It’s tough but……..I pay the lease.

Last edited:

godogs57

Let a friend of mine hunt my property years ago and he killed a tiny 4 pointer. He was told trophy only. Shoot it if you’ll mount it. He told me the buck was a cull buck and he was doing me a favor. I told him he was obviously NOT a game biologist because he had shot a yearling. Never invited back.

My best friend of all time hunted my spot three years ago . I texted him a pic of a small 2 1/2 years old buck moving in his direction with instructions to NOT shoot this buck. Five minutes later he shoots it. I show him the text and asked why he shot him . “Well I saw all those antlers and I just had to shoot it!” “What antlers? That’s a small buck I asked you not to shoot…and you did!” He had no answer. I told him he could only shoot does here from now on. “What if I see a buck?” “Nope.” He pouted and went home after I told him that. Hasn’t hunted my spot since then.

A friend asked if he could shoot “just a doe…just one doe”. I said “That’d be just fine…take a doe if you need one”. He gut shot a ten pointer that I didn’t find until weeks later, by HIS admission. I reminded him that sure as the dickens wasn’t a dang doe. “I saw all them antlers and just couldn’t help it buddy”. “What part of your request and my instructions did you NOT understand?” Like the first two instances, he earned a lifetime ban from hunting my spot.

hikingthehills

Let a friend of mine hunt my property years ago and he killed a tiny 4 pointer. He was told trophy only. Shoot it if you’ll mount it. He told me the buck was a cull buck and he was doing me a favor. I told him he was obviously NOT a game biologist because he had shot a yearling. Never invited back.

My best friend of all time hunted my spot three years ago . I texted him a pic of a small 2 1/2 years old buck moving in his direction with instructions to NOT shoot this buck. Five minutes later he shoots it. I show him the text and asked why he shot him . “Well I saw all those antlers and I just had to shoot it!” “What antlers? That’s a small buck I asked you not to shoot…and you did!” He had no answer. I told him he could only shoot does here from now on. “What if I see a buck?” “Nope.” He pouted and went home after I told him that. Hasn’t hunted my spot since then.

A friend asked if he could shoot “just a doe…just one doe”. I said “That’d be just fine…take a doe if you need one”. He gut shot a ten pointer that I didn’t find until weeks later, by HIS admission. I reminded him that sure as the dickens wasn’t a dang doe. “I saw all them antlers and just couldn’t help it buddy”. “What part of your request and my instructions did you NOT understand?” Like the first two instances, he earned a lifetime ban from hunting my spot.
I hate to be selfish but this is the kind of thing I want to avoid. My dad which hasn't hunted in years is going to come out with me this season. Heck if he shoots a spike I'll cheer him on but nobody but pop's gets that sort of invite. Me and the wife are letting any buck under 3 years old walk. We'll probably only take 1-2 does max, the rest of the meat for the freezer will come from public land.

Kebo07

I have been very fortunate over the past few years to be shown great kindness by fellow hunters, landowners and friends. I would happily allow each and every one of them come to my new little 40 acre piece and kill whatever deer made them happy.

If you do set limits or place restrictions and make those clear ahead of time, folks that hunt on your place should follow those.

Kebo07

Agreed. I am very fortunate to own that little piece and have loved every minute of it. Leasing land or having permission is a gamble. Crazy to think of all the back stabbing, under-cutting, and hardships that have occurred between folks just to kill a pine goat.
Wishing everyone here a very safe and successful season however each individual defines success.

jNick

If i had to stress and think about the subject long enough to create a thread over it I would wash my hands of it and be done with the subject completely.

Joe Brandon

If i had to stress and think about the subject long enough to create a thread over it I would wash my hands of it and be done with the subject completely.
Hey I got some great advice from like minded men. I am always grateful for good council when I have soothing troubling my mind and spirt, I needed to handle this the right way. Got exactly the answers I needed.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Unless you own it, never get hooked on a place and fall in love with it. All good things come to an end.
This! I fell in love with Pinelog and she’s gon! But like some fine looking women in my life, I replaced her and moved on! Sometimes new can be a great thing!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
If you invited him to hunt, and didn’t set any rules for him, then got mad when he killed a deer, then you’re way in the wrong, not him. Sorry. There are literally millions of deer, friends are precious. I really don’t understand the idea of making antlers more important than friends. If that stings, sorry, but it should. Because all this deer management jealousy and teenage drama crap is stupid. If I invite someone to hunt my land, I’m happy for them to kill a deer that makes them happy. If I don’t want somebody to hunt my land, I don’t invite them to hunt it.

Yep. You got to establish the rules up front. Friends don't have a problem with that. If you don't establish the rules up front then there are no rules other than "come hunt my land".

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

earlthegoat2

I very judiciously let people hunt my property. I have to know them well. They can only hunt when I am hunting.

However, I will let them shoot anything they want as long as it’s legal.

If they get something then that is the last time they hunt until next year.

jdgator

I have had the pleasure of introducing a number of people to duck hunting over the years.

One of the things I've learned to do is explain is (very generally) the expenses and effort that go into making the waterfowling opportunity possible.

I also talk a little about wildlife management and how an area can only tolerate so much pressure, and that it needs rest to be productive.

If the new sportsman seems to have gotten bit by the hunting bug I try to point them to a good club.

jNick

I have had the pleasure of introducing a number of people to duck hunting over the years.

One of the things I've learned to do is explain is (very generally) the expenses and effort that go into making the waterfowling opportunity possible.

I also talk a little about wildlife management and how an area can only tolerate so much pressure, and that it needs rest to be productive.

If the new sportsman seems to have gotten bit by the hunting bug I try to point them to a good club.

I too have taken many new guys who still hunt with me to this day. The one requirement is that they do not have a duck boat or the means to get one soon. Lol. Too many spot stealers already.

Latest posts