Lime- When to apply ?

chpeterson

With fall food plots, is it best to apply lime say 4-6 weeks before you plant ? Or is fine to just apply when you plant ? Should you harrow it in ? Thanks in advance

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
January 2022 ..... and incorporated in :) It takes time to work

Top 10 Liming Questions.JPGTop 10 Liming Questions2.JPGTop 10 liming questions3.JPG

If your using ag lime spread in January if your using pelletized lime spread 2 to 3 months before planting if your using fast acting lime 4 to 6 weeks prior to planting for best soil amending. It’s best to use ag lime it last longer and is generally the cheapest. It’s harder to spread without the right equipment. I always used pelletized like as it was the easiest to use and not the most expensive. As Canuck posted in that info it’s best to plow it in after spreading for best results

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
With fall food plots, is it best to apply lime say 4-6 weeks before you plant ? Or is fine to just apply when you plant ? Should you harrow it in ? Thanks in advance

Agreed plowing in is best.

If plowing it in is a deal breaker go ahead and spread the lime. It will get into the soil.
Farmers spread lime on pastures and hayfields without plowing.

Ihunt

I did a soil test on a plot late November last year. Ph was 5.8. We put out about 2 tons on a .66 acre field. Pulled a sample last week and the ph was 6.3.

Now, the ph would probably continue to get better without any additional lime but we put out another 1200lbs today. We are planting alfalfa and clover late September and I seriously doubt the ph will get over 7.0

Lime takes a while to work. Not real sure how quickly those “fast” acting limes actually work but if they do work fast they will also fade just as quickly.

On both of my applications, the lime was tilled in using a pto tiller.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Agreed plowing in is best.

If plowing it in is a deal breaker go ahead and spread the lime. It will get into the soil.
Farmers spread lime on pastures and hayfields without plowing.
As well as orchards

Ihunt

D71A0773-9B48-4A71-9F2A-C48BDF34693A.png

Attachments

• BA9DD155-CDCB-4595-A636-C00DABEF9FD9.png
    BA9DD155-CDCB-4595-A636-C00DABEF9FD9.png
    291.1 KB · Views: 11

Ihunt

It was December and not late November. About 7.5 months between the two soil test.