Lipstick on a pig

slow motion

My Dad had one of those same releases also, and I used to have a set of pins like that on an old Browning Cobra back in the early 80's, I think my slingshot was faster than that Cobra, but I killed a deer or two with it anyway
I've got to start searching for a new release. Think most are made to shoot off a d loop. At least the ones I've tried. Need 1 that clips on the string. All so far are for a smaller diameter.

transfixer

I've got to start searching for a new release. Think most are made to shoot off a d loop. At least the ones I've tried. Need 1 that clips on the string. All so far are for a smaller diameter.

I haven't shot a compound in years , the last release I remember having was one that just clipped on the string like that one, but it was a thumb trigger instead of like that one, I don't remember which one I liked best to be honest, been a long time,

Sixes

I used that same release for a long time. Same sights but string puffs instead of whiskers. It would rain and at the shot, I would get a face full of water.

I had an old Browning Mag Reflex. then a Mirage, then switched to Golden
Eagle with an overdraw and then High Country on up to modernish Hoyts

slow motion

I used that same release for a long time. Same sights but string puffs instead of whiskers. It would rain and at the shot, I would get a face full of water.

I had an old Browning Mag Reflex. then a Mirage, then switched to Golden
Eagle with an overdraw and then High Country on up to modernish Hoyts
I'm happy with the release I have but it will eventually fail. Need a new one for that day

NWS

My 1st 2 Bows were recurves. A Shakespeare Yukon and a Bear Grizzly. At UGA in the 70’s for PE credit, I took 2 quarters of archery. The RA assistant professor was my roommate and good friend. He would give everyone a safety briefing at the archery range and then leave us on our own to shoot. I got a kick out of shooting Coca-Cola cans at 30 ysrds. Later I “graduated” to a gorgeous Browning Bantam compound bow, which I wish I still had today,
Ended up with a couple of PSE mach flight bows which I still have today. I currently have two recurves, a Browning Nomad and a Bear Grizzly. I’m seriously thinking about dusting them off.

DSGB

When I started bowhunting about 20 years ago, I hunted several years with my dad's old PSE Phaser II before buying a new bow.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't shot a compound in decades, but I have an old Black Bear from the 80s laying around somewhere that has the little round pullies, a four-pin sight, and a quiver of aluminum arrows with old three-blade muzzys on them. I might have to get that thing out and stick a deer with it. It would be fun.

henrydaviss

That's very cool. I still have Hoyt bow from the 90's and thought about fixing it up but i took it a bow shop in Cherokee County to have a new string put on it and they said they wouldn't do it because it was to old. Any suggestions?

slow motion

That's very cool. I still have Hoyt bow from the 90's and thought about fixing it up but i took it a bow shop in Cherokee County to have a new string put on it and they said they wouldn't do it because it was to old. Any suggestions?
If you can find a string maybe do it yourself?

slow motion

If you can find a string maybe do it yourself?
Disclaimer: Potentially dangerous.

Changed one with the help of my brother once. Basically I drew the bow back. Kinda like placing in a bow press as limbs are bowed in. While I held the draw he placed a new string on. I let down. Clipped on new string. Drew back and held while he removed old string. Could possibly just cut old string after placing new string on as well. Method may not work for you or anybody else. Be careful. If it seems unsafe DONT DO IT.

87Warrior

We used to keep a spare string that was “ shot in” stretched with peep installed in our tournament quivers in the event of a primary string malfunction. Changed them out during a shoot if needed in the manner Slow Motion described above. One word of caution, the old cables with the double tear drops were prone to failure as they aged. I witnessed one break off with enough force to penetrate the archers hand requiring a trip to the ER to have it removed. I would not trust any cables that are of the age of the equipment we’re referencing in this post.

slow motion

We used to keep a spare string that was “ shot in” stretched with peep installed in our tournament quivers in the event of a primary string malfunction. Changed them out during a shoot if needed in the manner Slow Motion described above. One word of caution, the old cables with the double tear drops were prone to failure as they aged. I witnessed one break off with enough force to penetrate the archers hand requiring a trip to the ER to have it removed. I would not trust any cables that are of the age of the equipment we’re referencing in this post.
Good advice. With my track record for mishaps no doubt I should follow it as that's the exact setup on this one. Unfortunately I'm not known for making intelligent decisions. About to walk out back and let the Sow squeal a few times. Don't try this at home children. I am a professional. Well maybe not. So I'll quote Pop. "Do as I say, not as I do."

slow motion

Dang I'm getting weak in my old age. Had a tough day at work so that's what I'll blame. :bounce: Didn't get many rounds before I got tired and was trying to rush the shots again. Bright side though started at 30 today and feeling pretty good there. 1st pin at 20. 2nd at 30. Will eventually practice 3rd pin but not sure on if I'll actually stretch much past 30 hunting.

ghadarits

I killed my first bow deer with a Bear White Tail compound bow in the late 80's. That thing didn't have a heavy draw weight so lobbed arrows compared to todays bows. I have to say it was a good bow I killed a lot of animals with it but not compared to what I did with my Bear Golden Bear recurve bow and wooden arrows. I was hard on squirrels, chipmunks, fish and birds if they wondered too close. When I first got that bow I wasn't tall enough to hold it vertical I had to slant it. LOL!! It was rare at the time to see a deer where I grew up so it was small game or nothing.

I still have that bow it's one of the few remaining items from my childhood and probably the most used Christmas gift I ever received.