Liquor collection

SC Hunter

@Baroque Brass post got me thinking does anybody here collect bourbon, tequila, or any likka in general?? I've got a few different bourbons (buffalo trace, makers mark, wild turkey, etc...) in various stages of drankness at home in a box waiting for the new house to be done. I'm thinking about finding a display type cabinet/ maybe a bar type deal to put in a man room/future reloading room/office type area. Heck if its classy enough my wife will want it out for our very few visitors to see in the main part of the house. Do any of our fine members collect such spirits and have nice displays? Or even just random bottle pictures will be just fine here too folks!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
@Baroque Brass post got me thinking does anybody here collect bourbon, tequila, or any likka in general?? I've got a few different bourbons (buffalo trace, makers mark, wild turkey, etc...) in various stages of drankness at home in a box waiting for the new house to be done. I'm thinking about finding a display type cabinet/ maybe a bar type deal to put in a man room/future reloading room/office type area. Heck if its classy enough my wife will want it out for our very few visitors to see in the main part of the house. Do any of our fine members collect such spirits and have nice displays? Or even just random bottle pictures will be just fine here too folks!
:rofl: My collection wouldn't last long. Likker's for drinkin', not lookin' at. :)

I'm kind of like Quill Rose, the old white likker manufacturer off of Eagle Creek. He said he heard people talking about how good aged likker was. He said he kept some for two whole weeks one time, and couldn't tell a bit of difference in it. :bounce:

sinclair1

I collected some old stuff when I had a bar at the house. I packed it up until we moved, I gave it all to the neighbor. He had never seen any unopened bottles with tax stamps.
Those bottles got him involved in trading 70’s bourbons and it became his hobby.
I kept those 70’s liquors while I was a raging alcoholic.

SC Hunter

@NCHillbilly I drink mine too I keep a few nicer bottles to sip and for when somebody stops by here and there. Buffalo trace and wild turkey gets rotated through with regularity I've got 4 or 5 jars of clear likka from my father in law some flavored some not and I sip on those occasionally also. Just a nip, much more than that I break out in handcuffs.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
I agree with NCHb. Doesn't last long here. We tried Buffalo trace this weekend. :hair: We'll stick with the cheap stuff. Evan Williams for the win.:fine: Woodford for mint julips once a year.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
:rofl: My collection wouldn't last long. Likker's for drinkin', not lookin' at. :)

I'm kind of like Quill Rose, the old white likker manufacturer off of Eagle Creek. He said he heard people talking about how good aged likker was. He said he kept some for two whole weeks one time, and couldn't tell a bit of difference in it. :bounce:
This rite here.
It ain't fer look'n at, it's fer drank'n... :bounce:

frankwright

My kids stock me up at Christmas, Father's Day and my Birthday.
I give them a detailed list so they don't screw it up.
For sipping: Four Roses Small batch, Woodford Reserve, Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace.
For Mixing: Jack, Crowne or Tito!

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Ah once got a bottle from old forge distillery in Pigeon Forge just because ah liked the bottle. Had an anvil on it. Ah run outta likker one day and ah opened it. But mah plan was to collect it origionaly

Waddams

My wife and I got into craft cocktails a few years ago while on a vacation to San Antonio. Wandered into a less trafficked spot just off the River Walk. Place was cocktails only, no wine, no beer, no food. No menu either. A true modern speakeasy. The bartenders were all true mixologists - just tell 'em you like smokey, or sweet, or spicy, and if you generally liked whiskey, vodka, rum, etc. Then they mixed you up a concoction. And our eyes were opened to true bartending!

We know have a home speakeasy. Comfy lounge chairs, a home bar cabinet that folds out, has a variety of nooks and crannies for bottles, glasses, mixing stuff, shakers, and even a drink smoker kit. Shot glass display case is mounted to the side on a wall. There's a poster framed with a bunch of classic cocktail recipes, and a bunch of decorations to go with the theme.

I don't have easy pics, but the liquor supply is usually some base of rye whiskey, bourbon, tequila, rum, vodka, and gin. Then there are usually some range of "adders" - aperol, campari, absinthe, creme de menthe, bitters, various infused liquors. Oh - we have an infuser, I've done jalapeno, habanero, cocoa bean, orange spice, etc. infusions of whiskey, vodka, and tequila. Occasionally we've played with adding creamers, or even a few drops of yogurt.

We don't drink much beer anymore unless at a brewery, wine sometimes makes an appearance when my wife's family is over, they're all a bunch of big league wine-oh's. It's scary how much they put down when they're all together.

SC Hunter

@Waddams good post! I've been to a bar similar to what you describe and it was truly an experience. My wife drinks wine occasionally but she's has even mentioned having a few bottles of "nicer liquor" and a little set up to make drinks. I guess my Natural lights and shine in a jar is too cavemanish.

You're set up sounds pretty dang cool.

Reactions: Dub

specialk

I gave my dad 3 wild turkey decanters about 30yrs ago and he left them to me. I bought 2 bottles of bill elliotts liquor from the dawsonville distillery next to the HOF, got to meet Chase that day....also met Tim Smith of Moonshiners at a liquor store promotion and got a signed bottle of his bottled moonshine. I recently inheirted a bottle of Old Forester that has an unbroken seal from 1968....

Baroque Brass

I’ve been told there are true collector’s liquors that can cost in the thousands per bottle. Like others have said, if I buy some I’m gonna drink it. It hurts my feelings enough to pay $50 for a bottle, no way I’m paying thousands just to display it.

DannyW

I have a bottle of Early Times with an unbroken seal that I believe is from 1965. My dad, who was not a drinker, got it as a Christmas present from a vendor. About 10-15 years ago I came across it in the back of my mother's cabinet. She told me to get it out of her house (she's not a drinker either!)

Think it's aged long enough?

Early Times.jpg

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Think it's aged long enough?
Liquor stops aging when it goes from the cask to the bottle... or so they say. I've got a bottle of J & B that my Dad got the same way back in the 50's, even has a metal "tilt & pour" frame it sets in, one of the first things I checked out when I got the internet was that bottle.

specialk

i've got a bottle of mezcal tequila (opened) with the worm....dont know the age but it came from mexico, not an english word on the bottle and it has a price tag in peso's....the label has cartoon like characters on it

SC Hunter

I’ve been told there are true collector’s liquors that can cost in the thousands per bottle. Like others have said, if I buy some I’m gonna drink it. It hurts my feelings enough to pay $50 for a bottle, no way I’m paying thousands just to display it.
I've got a good friend that is a real collector and won't drink it unless he has two bottles of a certain one. He's told me several times his liquor collection is worth far far more than his guns and he has a safe slap full. He's got one of those 2000 dollar bottles of some sort and I just want to taste it. He makes plenty money and that's his hobby so I can't judge.

@Nicodemus enjoys nice scotch from time to time if I remember correctly as well.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
I've got a good friend that is a real collector and won't drink it unless he has two bottles of a certain one. He's told me several times his liquor collection is worth far far more than his guns and he has a safe slap full. He's got one of those 2000 dollar bottles of some sort and I just want to taste it. He makes plenty money and that's his hobby so I can't judge.

@Nicodemus enjoys nice scotch from time to time if I remember correctly as well.
You ought to just get Ol' Nic a bottle of this Scotch. It only cost 109,999.99. I'm sure he'd appreciate it.;):bounce:
1674583452243.png