Long Range .308 build

HuntinJake_23

Hey y'all decided to get into long range shooting for fun, and once I'm comfortable hopefully I can snipe some hogs from a couple hundred yards. Here's what I got so far:
- The Rifle: Remington 700 VLS .308 has 26 inch heavy barrel
- The Stock: while the original stock is beautiful I wanted something more versatile so I went with the Magpul Hunter 700 in stealth grey and added the bottom metal from Magpul that takes the AICS mags.
- The Bases and Rings: leupold two piece base with the leupold 30mm rings(have them on my other two 700's and have no complaints)
- The Scope: in the process of getting a Vortex Viper PST FFP 6-24x50mm with the MOA reticle.
The bi-pod: didn't feel like paying $300 for an Atlas so I bought the $65 green blob and no complaints yet.
The Bullets: I reload Sierra MatchKing 168grn for target shooting and Nosler 165 ballistic tips for hunting. Can't wait to get down range.
- Also added a KGR bolt knob

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,281

pdsniper

need to try the 175 Sierra MK much better BC and the best powder to use from extensive testing is AR Comp, welcome to the world of long range shooting but you must be warned its addictive!!!

GregoryB.

The 700 VLS is a great rifle. I have one that I swapped a Bell and Carlson stock onto. Loved it so much I use to carry it into the tree stand with me.

Flaustin1

Id like to recommend trying the Hornady A-max'. Ive not found a rifle that they don't shoot good in. As a plus, theyre a fine hunting bullet as well.

wareagle700

Looking good.

I also recommend trying the 175 Sierras or 178 Hornadys. They fly better than the 168's.

GunnSmokeer

Looks like a great set up.

That 26" long barrel is not going to give you any greater accuracy per se, but it will let you burn more gunpowder and boost your velocity up to 30-06 levels if you want to handload that hot, and shoot supersonic out to 1000 yards with the right "very low drag" bullets.

If this were my build, and knowing that in my situation I would not be shooting beyond 600 yards, I would have gone with a shorter barrel just to make the weapon easier to handle and carry.

UNLESS I thought that one day I might want to mount iron sights on it-- in which case I'd rather have a real 26" barrel than a more common 22" barrel and a "bloop tube" on the end to gain extra sight radius.

Dub

Great looking rifle.

I like what you've done.

I'm a huge fan of those Nosler BT's in .308, too. Tight grouping deerslayers.

HuntinJake_23

It's finally finished!!!

Well after several months of saving up and deciding on which scope to get, I've finally finished my build. I went with the Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50mm with MOA reticle and turrets. I thought the plain gray stock was boring, so I gave it a custom camo type paint job... here's the end result!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3535.jpg
    IMG_3535.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 777

pdsniper

Lets see some targets to see how she shoots, if she shoots as good as she looks it aught to be impressive

Klondike

An odd two cents

Shoot a lot but I bet if you truly compare your shooting from a bipod vs sandbags you will find bags are better.

I have a high end bipod I simply don't use. Bags at the range and day pack or improvised rest in the field.

Fore end control is also your friend