Gift Rifle

Well, the scope for the gift rifle for next month's gift hunt arrived yesterday, so I just mounted it atop the Savage M11 Lightweight today.

The rifle is a .308 and I decided a good choice for the cartridge and compact rifle would be a Leupold 30mm VX-R in 2-7×33. It's set in Talley lightweight ring/bases combination and just barely fits the scope's mounting surface.

It's been bore-sighted and now just awaits a range trip for sight in. A couple pictures of the rather unique Savage with it's lightweight mods. It has a scalloped receiver, fluted bolt, cutouts in the forend and light profile barrel.

0116191235-1.jpg0116191242-1.jpg0116191243-1.jpg0116191257-1.jpg

lonewolf247

Someone is going to be mighty happy with that rifle! I think that wood grain Savage looks really nice .

Yes just barely got by with that scope and those mounts. Savage seems to have excessive spacing on the holes for the scope mount. If it were the 111, you’d probably have to go with a picatinny rail or similar to accommodate that scope.

Either way, it’s locked down and looks great! Let us know how it shoots.

Last edited:
There's nothing more fulfilling than presenting that deserving veteran that gift rifle the first night in camp, as a complete surprise to them. To be able to give them a small token of appreciation for what they did for all of us is enough to make any man tear up watching their reaction.

Our guest this year is a Georgia man, our second. We previously hosted a young Georgia Marine back in 2015 and that story was published in GON. This will be my 8th such hunt to sponsor and I plan to continue until my Buddies refuse to help me get into the woods.

My wife of 41yrs has been very supportive of my desire to do this and I'm very thankful for that.