Scope ring help/torque

Doesn't this scope an exposed elevation turret? I think the BDC is calibrated for .308 rather than .270. I might zero it at 100 and just dial up if I have good DOPE on the rifle.

Nikon has an app called Spot On that you dial in your preferred zero, caliber, and grain bullet for this scope. The scope works across most calibers. Its gives you the bullet drop readout for the reticle.

I gotta get the scope to stay in place before I start dialing up ranges.

Last edited:

bullgator

Every mount/rings manufacturer has different torque specs. Sometimes there can be different specs from the same manufacturer with different lines of mounts. It’s best to go on their website to find out.
I recently found a company called Fix It Stix that make inch/pound torque drivers with either specific limiters or an all-in-one limiter. It was an answer to my long search for just such a tool.

lonewolf247

I’ve mounted scopes all my life for myself, and many others, without a torque wrench, and no issues. I recently picked up a fat wrench, to try to go by the specs, in the future.

I’ve always used a regular Allen wrench or torx style wrench, with the short side in my hand, and tighten as much as possible. Then usually just a pinch more with the long side, to seal the deal.

I use blue loctite on the bases, and have gone to no loctite on the rings. If you tighten the rings enough, I’ve never had a scope slip in the rings, never! The only couple of issues, I’ve had, were over a long period of time, the base screws got loose. Just from years of recoil and cleaning the action with oil I guess.

rosewood

You can always put a dab of the blue locktite on the scope under the ring, won't take much but may be just enough to keep scope from moving. Cleans off pretty easy with alcohol or acetone later.

Rosewood