The Henry Single Shot .308 is DONE!!! Meet Ol' Cottonmouth! Ready to STRIKE...☠️

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Well, as of 0300 this morning, my scope mount is on the move in St. Louis Mo...

Now says Monday delivery...

Let's hear it for USPS..(n)

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Things just don't always go as planned...My Talley mount arrived today, and I installed the old Bushnell Banner. Stepped out back to boresight and shoot it a bit.

The old scope does not track predictably at all. Doing weird stuff. Clicks are not uniform, and an inch ain't equalling an inch. I chased the walk-in for seven rounds, got mad, and pulled the scope off...?

Up next is a Leupold M8 fixed 6x, that has killed a bunch of critters...

IMG_20220429_190419457~2.jpg

IMG_20220429_191150230~2.jpg

The Talley One Piece is very nice, very clean, and was worth the wait.

I'll see how this one works over the weekend. I was too mad to waste any more ammo today...:LOL:

As for the new/old Bushnell, I am not quite ready to give up on it yet, but I pretty sure it ain't no good...Will try it on a .22 I KNOW what to expect from, before slinging it in the woods...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Ok fellers!

Ol' Cottonmouth is ready for action.

It's amazing what can happen when you stop and think for a minute, and get back to the basics.

I was so invested in making that Bushnell work, that yesterday's range session was a total waste. I got irritated, when the expected didn't happen, and it all went in the crapper from there...:LOL:

Today, I started fresh with a new attitude. Two walk-in shots at 50, and a minor adjustment up and right from there.

A move to 100 and three more shots gave me two dead clays, and a dead snuff can for a finale...

Five shots and done is how it's supposed to work. It's nice when you get the results you know you should be seeing.

Might fine tune a bit before hunting season.

Or I might not.

It'll kill a critter just fine, long as I do my part.

oppthepop

Howdy, mens!

My little Henry finally showed up, and my Old School Single Shot Project is underway.

I gotta say I am happy with it. This is a NICE piece of shooting equipment folks!

Wood is pretty, it has a nice heft to it, everything operates very smoothly, it points nice, balances well, and if they had problems with previous triggers, nobody told this rifle!!

I don't have a gauge, but my finger says it's a crispy four pounds. Plenty good for a huntin' gun!!

I fired five different rounds just for a function check, and guys I sure wish I could still see good enough to use this thing as is, with no scope.

Because I sure would.

I did a little trimming on, and installed the butt cuff cartridge holder, installed my moccasin hide sling, and hammer spur.

I'm going to take tip from @Jester896 and try the spur facing left, as a righty. Five shots in, I like it...

Still waiting on my Talley mount, but here's some pics to look at while we wait on the postal service...

View attachment 1148488

View attachment 1148489

View attachment 1148491

View attachment 1148490

Y'all look close, and see who can find my extra "old school" touch...

I'll add to this when the scope mount arrives, and I get it put together and sighted.

If every rifle is supposed to have a name, I guess this one will be called...

Ol' Cottonmouth...
Man that's a beauty! COngrats!

frankwright

Looks really nice!
Can you see through the scope with your head on the stock?

I can't on mine and had to add a cheek riser!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Looks really nice!
Can you see through the scope with your head on the stock?

I can't on mine and had to add a cheek riser!

To be honest, you gotta use more of a "jaw weld" than a cheek weld.. ?

The stock is not really designed with a scope in mind, especially when you consider the height necessary to clear everything...

I'll live with it, since I ain't gonna be trying to shoot "one hole" with this thing. I'm not gonna ask anything better than "snuff can at 100" of this one...

Having said that, I am interested in how you accomplished the riser....;)

Jester896

Senior Clown
leather straps sewn to/under the cuff over the comb. It would open the tie portion up a good bit...that might be one way :huh:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I like they way you used snake skin. Wonder how it will hold up long term?

With an armor all wipe once in a while, I bleeve it'll hold up just fine. It's been used for boots, wallets, belts, etc. forever. It's tougher than you'd think.

But we gonna find out... ?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
When you`re dealing with snake skin remember, the more it flexes, the quicker it will wear out.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
When you`re dealing with snake skin remember, the more it flexes, the quicker it will wear out.

Well, Nic... You've messed with snake hide a lot more than me, what's your prediction?

Sling is double stitched, and glued smoothly and securely with DAP contact cement, per Anvilhead's suggestion. He said it would work well and remain flexible...

This thing turned out better than I thought it would, in any case... ?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Well, Nic... You've messed with snake hide a lot more than me, what's your prediction?

Sling is double stitched, and glued smoothly and securely with DAP contact cement, per Anvilhead's suggestion. He said it would work well and remain flexible...

This thing turned out better than I thought it would, in any case... ?

The cartridge loops should last a long time. The sling, well, keep it the Armorall to it and it should last a goodly spell too. It won`t flex as bad as a belt will under normal use.

In my younger days I made a snake belt for a work belt. It lasted a couple of weeks. And as I`ve said before, I have a hatband that is getting close to 50 years old.