Longbow for bowfishing?

Neocon

I'm thinking about buying a traditional bow. I am considering a longbow but I don't see a way to attach a reel for bowfishing. Is there a way to do this that I can't see?

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
frank has you took care of. that will do the trick !!!

Neocon

Frank thanks for the quick help. I'm still trying to make my mind up to go traditional but bowfishing sure looks fun.

Neocon

What do you guys think...would you recommend I get a 60Lbs bow for my first bow or should I work my way up?

GAnaturalist

Long bows are a pain in a boat, I screwed a AMS retriever directly into the side of my hickory bow (I left a little wood sticking out)

Notice the .22 pistol on my side for dispatching large gar.

The first pic is a 52inch PSE, barely clearing the edge of the canoe (inside wall).

Forget the long bow, I almost fell out the boat on several occassions, and when I hold horizontal I end up hitting the trolling motor.

Yes, I see there is a feather in my cap, long story.

Attachments

• Bow_Fishing.jpg
    Bow_Fishing.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 717
  • l_0f14c2b531d7b448d4a3c300a98ac43b.jpg
    l_0f14c2b531d7b448d4a3c300a98ac43b.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:

Neocon

So long bows are out for fishing. I want a bow that is easy to shoot (forgiving). Something that I can pracitice A LOT with. I would like something that I can use for fishing and hunting deer. Any ideas?

GAnaturalist

No such thing.

Just kidding. The MOST I can stand for bowfishing is 50 pounds, and that really is just pushing it.

I have tried everything in between, actually those two pics above are both 50#.

Compound bows......Browning makes a special bowfishing bow, just for bowfishing, as well as a couple of others now......Oneida too. Compounds are so handy in tight areas, and if you go light enough, I mean 30-40# pull (that is ALL you need) they can be accurate. BUT most are heavy, and some can be slow. However, they can dispense a lot of impact power, and you might need that to punch through heavy Gar scales, alligator, etc. Compounds can also be too destructive on carp, ripping a huge hole through both sides, then the arrow slips out during the fight. I once had a arrow fling out of the carp, out of the water, and into the air. I reeled the arrow back in and there was a air/swim bladder on the end of the arrow barbs. That carp probably did not make it that far. Compound shot.

So....recurve for Carp and Gar
*Recurve is great for quick shots, and really becomes an art. Where as with a compound I do not feel that connection.
Recurves are light weight and very accurate at close ranges.
If you get a bow, color it light blue or white. White/blue is camo in bowfishing.

Heavy pulls just don't work for me, and for a lot of other people too. I have 3 different bows set up for bowfishing. And I am a AMS retreiver man. Faithful to that set up for 10 years now.

I always wondered how much that bass below would have weighed. I could put my fist in its mouth and still have room for more. That pic does not even show the whole length either. No, I did not shoot the bass.....but man, can a bass look like a carp at a distance or what! lol.
The carp in the second pic (25#) pulled my canoe down river a hundred feet before giving up. After I shot it, the fish went strait in front of the boat and pulled. I burnt my palm trying to hold onto the nylon line. No drag with AMS retreivers. wrap your hand and hold on! I don't have any pics of the big ones. Those were average!
The big Moma Gar in the last pic took a bite of me after that camera snapped, right in the side of the face/neck....watch out!

Attachments

• somethings_fishy.jpg
    somethings_fishy.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 559
Last edited:

OconeeDan

I agree with GaNaturalist. 50 is all you need and you may want to start with less.
Just getting started? Try a used recurve and then go from there!
Dan

GAX

I know this is an old thread, but I had to add this.... I use a PSE Kingfisher 50#, it is a recurve, and can take abuse from banging around in the boat. It is also a good cheap starter bow as well as for experienced bowfishers. You can find these, for a little over $100.