Looking at new binos.

hoytslanger87

I’m looking at the Leupold bx4 pro guide, Viper hd and the Meopro hd. Anyone have experience with any of them? I got a pair of diamondbacks wanting something clearer and better in low light.

green thumb

I bought the leupold bx4 last year in 10x50s. Dad has Viper’s but not sure if they are hd because they are about 4 years old and not sure when the “hd” model came out. His are 10x42. The bx4’s are definitely brighter in low light but whether that is due to 50mm or glass/coatings I’m not sure. I went with the bx4s because I didn’t like the way the vortex binos seem to produce a fish eye effect with center being clear but edges not being as flat and clear. I don’t have any experience with the meopro but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the bx4s again as my binoculars are one of the most important tools I can take to the field.

Bubba_1122

I have an older Leupold Mojave BX-3 10x50. They’re good but not great.

I have a Meopta Meostar scope (I know you’re looking at binos and not scopes but the Meopta is amazing). It’s just high quality glass. Amazing light gathering ability ( yes - it can tempt you before and after legal shooting hours).

When I bought the scope I was looking for a nicer Leupold. Store owner pushed me to take a look at the Meopta. I’m glad he did. Whole different league.

If I bought another pair of binoculars they’d come from Meopta. Just impressed with the quality of their glass.

Last edited:

Kris87

I have 8x42 Leupold BX3 Pro Guide HD and they're great binos. I like 8x for use in the woods, especially in GA. You can't go wrong with Leupold HD glass. I can see deer in the dark on the ground underneath the stand well before I can with my own eyes.

ssramage

I upgraded from Diamondbacks (non-HD) to Viper HD 10x42 this year. Well worth the price difference and will do all that I need in GA. I will use them for everything from turkey hunting to bowhunting to rifle hunting powerlines/clearcuts. Great all around bino and very similar in size to the 8x Diamondbacks that I've been using for the last five or so years.

Jim Boyd

In that group, Meopta is the easy choice.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I have a pair of Vortex Razors, but if I was in the market today, I wouldn't purchase anything until I had looked at Maven.

D

Deleted member 35556

My brother bought me some Nikon Monarch 5 nockers. They're great. I got him some leupolds and now viper HD in 10x52. The Viper HD 10x52 are great as well.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
What about some less expensive Binos....I currently have on my watch list he Leupold Timberline, the vortex crossfires in 8 and 10 x 42.....the first two are well under $150 with chest case etc.. vortex gives a hat :biggrin2: 100s sold, good to great reviews on the vortex.

ddd-shooter

A good midrange HD glass is fine, I have some mid range leupolds. But if I buy again, I'll go all the way next time. Buy the best once and you'll never have to buy again. That'll be swarovski or something similar for me. But that'll be many many years, cuz my leupolds are so nice.

South Man

I’m looking at the Leupold bx4 pro guide, Viper hd and the Meopro hd. Anyone have experience with any of them? I got a pair of diamondbacks wanting something clearer and better in low light.
what is your budget?

hoytslanger87

What about some less expensive Binos....I currently have on my watch list he Leupold Timberline, the vortex crossfires in 8 and 10 x 42.....the first two are well under $150 with chest case etc.. vortex gives a hat :biggrin2: 100s sold, good to great reviews on the vortex.
I just sold a pair of Diamondback 10x42. I liked them but in low light they were useless.

Gaswamp

I have both meopta meopro 10x32 and Leupold bx3 in 8x32. I like both and am happy with both. My recommendation would be to call Doug at Cameraland and ask him which way to go and what he had a good deal on.

hoytslanger87

I bought a small pair for turkeys and ended up giving them away. Not even close to my Leupolds and not even in the state compared to my Mavens.
what mavens do you have? I’m looking at the bx4 Leupolds, but recent was told to look at the mavens.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Vortex 8x32. Don’t need more than that in GA and light enough to be very comfortable.