*Looking for a New Venue for Spring Fling* Help Please

Cletus T.

We just got back from our annual Spring Fling Fishing trip and we’ve been doing this trip for 20 years now. When we first started doing this trip we held it down in Tifton at Paradise PFA for the first 5-6 years and then we tried the Brickyard Ponds over in Augusta for a change of pace and then back to Paradise for a year and then to Charlie Elliott (Marben Farms PFA) for about another 5 years. Around 2012 I became friends with a guy who owned Big Sandy Plantation down in Dry Branch Ga. And he so graciously opened his gates to me and my fishing buddies and from 2012 to 2016 we held it there and we always say that Big Sandy was the best thing to ever happen to us and yet at the same time the worst thing, because once we lost access to it there was no way we were going to find another place like that so it spoiled us rotten and we’ve been searching for the next Big Sandy ever since. We’ve tried big water and other PFA’s and then back to Charlie Elliott for the last two years and I’m dying to find a new venue for this trip.

2017 – Lake Guntersville Ala.
2018 – Hamburg State Park
2019 – McDuffie PFA
2020 – COVID (No Spring Fling)
2021 – Charlie Elliott
2022 – Charlie Elliott

Now – I know Private Places are private for a reason but I’m just throwing this out there to see if there is anything out there that could be an option for us. I made a post like this back in 2015 when we lost Big Sandy and I did get a few PM’s from folks who were willing to help and for whatever reason we decided to go a different route but here I am – asking again, does anybody have a place they would be willing to host our group? I don’t expect this for free either so we can pay good money to make this happen. We’re all better off finically now than we were 20 years ago when we started this trip so we would be willing to pay top dollar for access to your place. Here’s what were looking for / needing to handle our Spring Fling Fishing Trip.

This is a bass fishing trip so hopefully a well-stocked / managed group of lakes / ponds

3-4 hour drive from Metro Atlanta (in any direction)

Spring Dates = March or April

A Cabin or housing and a shower would be nice, but we don’t have to have that. We can camp just as well.

It’s a Thursday – Sat. Fishing trip and we would leave on Sunday morning. (We would leave your place clean too)

This trip is mostly of childhood friends with a few buddies that have come into the fold over the years but it’s about 20-25 guys. Some guys fish harder than others and some enjoy kicking the log around the fire more so than fishing so we have those guys too.

Also – maybe you have a suggestion that I don’t even know about – please share that if you don’t mind? I’ve been researching places online and I just haven’t been able to find anything to our liking or that fits our group needs. ALSO – I’m talking about next year (2023) so we have plenty of time to line it up but anyway – just throwing it out there so please let me know if you can help a brother out or point me in the right direction. We're a good group of dudes that just want to fish and eat and tell stories and laugh and make precious memories.

Thank you in advance to my GON Family

Cletus

hipster dufus

Our lil group rented cabins at highland marina. Docks w electricity. Don Carter we used a couple times. Older we get more comforts we need.

hipster dufus

I also can say old salem on oconee worked for us. Most guys we had was 12-15

GTMODawg

BANNED
Not even similar to the venues mentioned but there are a BUNCH of groups who do similar trips at Holiday Park in Wilkes County (Clark Hill). Its pretty primitive but they do have some sights with electricity (no water or sewage that I know of) or you can dry camp just about anywhere. They also have a proper, full hook up RV park that's about a mile from the ramp that is pretty nice for what it is.....and they normally do not have a lot of folks and have spots available on the lake or at the RV park. My wife and I just made a 4 night reservation over Memorial Day Weekend and they told me they had plenty of spots available. I had tried every camp ground and RV park and state park on the lake and none hade spots.

I don't know that there is a limit to the sites on the east side of the ramp but all of that used to be primitive camping only. They have made a lot of improvements since the mid 90's....it is still pretty primitive but it's in a good location for fishing most of the time and they are pretty lenient as far as campgrounds go as far as camp fires and alcohol....in my experience the people who use this park police it themselves and if a group is causing problems the other campers will handle it. I have never been when there was a problem but others have told me they have so it is possible. Mostly middle aged and older people so even when they get deep in their cups they just get sleepy and not rowdy. It is very common to see large groups of campers and tents all together and large groups sitting around a fire or eating together. It is a pretty good setup for what it is.

Dupree

If you don’t find something private with amenities, I’d recommend Rocky Mountain public fishing area as an option. Be somewhere different, and plan it during the beginning of the month so the trophy lake is open.

doomtrpr_z71

If you want to make it epic I'd talk to Rutland farms in Tifton and see if they'd let y'all do it there, the fishing wouldn't be an issue but you may be able to work out camping as I believe they have rv spots now.

Ocmulgee pfa would be interesting with the quality of fish present and they have camping as well.

Bananaslug22

I hear the fishing at Blalock Lakes just SW of Newnan is phenomenal but unsure how open they would be to what you need. You would just have to call.

Cletus T.

If you want to make it epic I'd talk to Rutland farms in Tifton and see if they'd let y'all do it there, the fishing wouldn't be an issue but you may be able to work out camping as I believe they have rv spots now.

Ocmulgee pfa would be interesting with the quality of fish present and they have camping as well.

Funny you say that about Rutland Farms as I did a bunch of research on it yesterday and was looking to see if there was a camping area close by and looking at it on google maps – it looks like a perfect place for us and paying $20 a day to fish is not a problem at all.

This place may be the ticket

doomtrpr_z71

Funny you say that about Rutland Farms as I did a bunch of research on it yesterday and was looking to see if there was a camping area close by and looking at it on google maps – it looks like a perfect place for us and paying $20 a day to fish is not a problem at all.

This place may be the ticket
Pm me if you have any questions we fish there several times a year.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
There is a state park pioneer camp that is an island. In south or middle ga. I cant remember the name but it looked cool and supported up to 40 people I believe. I've always wanted to go there.

crackerdave

I keep hearing this. That's a shame. West Point was always pretty technical but when you had it dialed in it was hard to beat anywhere in the south.

I think all the largemouths are hanging around the docks at Highland Marina,where they were released after tournaments!?