Looking for a use for hog hide.

slow motion

Needing to grind some venison this weekend for breakfast sausage. Found a marked down pork shoulder. Got it chucked up and freezing the chunks individually on a baking sheet so I can use what I need and keep the rest frozen for later. Put the bone up for beans or soup. Had a good bit of skin attached. Haven't had a dog since Sam. Looking for a use if there is one.20240205_153001.jpg

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Needing to grind some venison this weekend for breakfast sausage. Found a marked down pork shoulder. Got it chucked up and freezing the chunks individually on a baking sheet so I can use what I need and keep the rest frozen for later. Put the bone up for beans or soup. Had a good bit of skin attached. Haven't had a dog since Sam. Looking for a use if there is one.View attachment 1287268
Fry it and render the lard, then eat the pork rinds.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
^^Beat me to it.

slow motion

Thought pork rinds were actually pork fat not skin.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thought pork rinds were actually pork fat not skin.
Nope, you're thinking about cracklin's, which are the crispy stuff left over after you render lard. Pork rinds are actual fried, puffed skin.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good deal. Gonna fry em up. Probably tomorrow. Told the Nurse and she said well let's fry em up then.
Looks like the consensus from stuff I've looked up is to boil them about fifteen minutes, then let them completely dry until they're hard, then fry them for a couple minutes and season.

slow motion

Looks like the consensus from stuff I've looked up is to boil them about fifteen minutes, then let them completely dry until they're hard, then fry them for a couple minutes and season.
Thanks brother

ucfireman

be sure to tell us how they come out.

Years ago my dad bought some pork skins from some place and we fried them up. They were already prepared and cut into 1/2 3/4 inch squares.
We fried them, only took a about 30 seconds ,salt and mmmmm good.

Redbow

I love some good ole pork rinds. When we killed hogs wish I had thought to cut the ears off and clean them then fry them in the old cast iron wash pot with the cracklin's bet they would have been good. I used to buy pigs ears for my dogs, they craved them.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Mom would fry fatback for breakfast and I'd eat every bit of it but the hard rind but then wrap the rind in a piece of foil and take it to school for a snack.

slow motion

How would you suggest I let it dry? Refrigerator? Oven? Have yet to do anything. Not even sure if I slice it into small pieces before boiling. Probably end up freezing as is and work it up a bit later. Good resource for research? Did a quick search and wasn't satisfied with results. Most talked about baking it. Used to buy em at little festivals (gold rush in Dahlonega, moonshine in Dawsonville, etc.) Seen em cooked at fair in Hiawassee but never been involved in prep.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
How would you suggest I let it dry? Refrigerator? Oven? Have yet to do anything. Not even sure if I slice it into small pieces before boiling. Probably end up freezing as is and work it up a bit later. Good resource for research? Did a quick search and wasn't satisfied with results. Most talked about baking it. Used to buy em at little festivals (gold rush in Dahlonega, moonshine in Dawsonville, etc.) Seen em cooked at fair in Hiawassee but never been involved in prep.
I'd say on warm in the oven? The Mexican video I saw, they were drying them in the sun. I would cut it to size before boiling it. Keep in mind it'll probably shrink a good bit when you do.