Looking to upgrade crossbow

Gophfer

I have an entry-level Barnett crossbow and took a couple does with it last year.

I want to upgrade and found a Tenpoint s400 actually a little below what I was willing to spend. With extra bolts and broadheads it should work out.

Anyone have experience with the Tenpoint s400?

James12

I have an entry-level Barnett crossbow and took a couple does with it last year.

I want to upgrade and found a Tenpoint s400 actually a little below what I was willing to spend. With extra bolts and broadheads it should work out.

Anyone have experience with the Tenpoint s400?

Never tried one. What Barnett do you shoot now?

catch22

no experience with it, but 10point is a leader in xbows....I cant see them making a bad product. I have also heard their customer service is top notch

Taco4x4

I have had my Raptor Fx since they were introduced in 2014. Have taken 10 or 12 nice bucks with it one turkey and a Yote. I thought about upgrading myself but then I tell myself why. It has never failed me other than the scope that came with it had some internal injuries. I put a Nikon on it and wow what an improvement. Still shooting the original strings and cables and considering upgrading those just because they are 10 years old and probably stretched out a little.

I hope that 10point works out for ya. I just can't give mine up yet. 6 pounds and only 16" axle to axle when cocked. Can't wait till Sep 9th. Good luck this season.

Deerhead

I have a Wicked Ridge 410. Its made by Tenpoint. It is blazing fast and accurate. The Accudraw on the Tenpoint is better than the one on my Wicked Ridge. Both work great but the 10pt is just a litter easier. Cant go wrong with either one.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I too have an entry level crossbow. I researched quite a bit before my purchase 6 or so years ago. 10 pt always came up as Top of the Line and outta my budget. Can’t imagine going wrong with a 10 pt.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I picked up a used 10 Point LTD a couple weeks back. Finally got to shoot it last night. That thing is nice. Pappy is planning on a major doe slaughter in a few weeks so he can grow a garden next year. Dang things ate all my green beans, peas, and okra. Even nibbled at my bell peppers.

Deerhead

Its a Spiderweb target. This model will handle 500fps bolts.
It's truly a two finger bolt removal. Wish I bought one years ago.
The are also sold on Amazon for free shipping.

Buckstop

My buddy has had a ten point viper s400 for a couple years and loves it. The accuslide cocking/decocking is really handy. I just ordered a viper 430 this afternoon. Pretty much the same but a tad faster.

ScLowCountry

If you want to upgrade, look no further than Excalibur. Upgrading is not worth it unless you go to recurve. The new fangled compounds are complicated. Excalibur crossbows are almost maintenance free. You can change the string yourself. There is no tuning involved. You can decock them easily. If you are going to spend money on another crossbow, please do not waste your money on anything other than an Excalibur.

earlthegoat2

If you want to upgrade, look no further than Excalibur. Upgrading is not worth it unless you go to recurve. The new fangled compounds are complicated. Excalibur crossbows are almost maintenance free. You can change the string yourself. There is no tuning involved. You can decock them easily. If you are going to spend money on another crossbow, please do not waste your money on anything other than an Excalibur.

I’ve been giving this advice for untold years and so far I think only my dad has heeded it.

I guess the recurves aren’t sexy enough.

I worked at an Excalibur dealer for several years and right when some of their first ones hit the market. This was when crossbows were not as prevalent or legal for hunting in many areas.

I was sold right out of the gate and they have only gotten better since. They just aren’t as fast as others which is all marketing and means very little in real world use.

More recently I have been more closely involved with the crossbow industry and without getting into details, Excalibur has fewer problems, recalls, or user influenced issues across the board.

But I guess that is not what this is about. TenPoint has a good reputation regardless and anything they make can be trusted and the company can be trusted for support. Those are the primary features you should be looking for in a crossbow or any modern archery equipment for that matter, before you even start looking at specs.