Lost One...........................

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I stuck my first deer with the recurve on Saturday evening.

And......I lost her...................

It sucks............................................. .

She came in late Saturday evening...

Popping Red Oak Acorns.

At one point she was 10yds directly behind. She stayed behind me long enough for the initial adrenaline rush to wear off. I was simply waiting to see what side of my tree she was going to walk by.

She chose the left side of the tree.

Everything was going great. She stepped out with no obstructions on my left side at 15yds. I burned a hole on a spot behind her shoulder, started to draw the bow and..... The bottom tip of my bow scraped up against the tree I was in...... I apparently forgot the bow is 5' 2" long and I had it canted too much... Put the deer on red alert.. I was already committed and had pulled the trigger in my mind and released the arrow.

The shot was good, but when the arrow was half way there, she crouched, took a step backwards and wheeled to her left to get out of the way...

Unfortunately she wasn't fast enough... Looked like the arrow buried in around where her shoulders meet her neck.. It made a loud thud and off she went with my arrow..

My buddy was hunting a 100yds away and my deer and the one with her spooked some deer around him and he saw my doe try to follow the other deer, but she stopped running and started walking slow with her head down. He said he knew I'd shot her because she looked hurt and wouldn't run after the other deer

Before he could call me and ask if I had shot a deer, I called him and told him.

Found minimal blood and my hunting partner had seen her walk into a thicket so we elected to leave her be for the night and resume tracking the next morning.

We hunted till 10:30 and got down and started looking.

Found some more blood but not much. We noticed in the thicket scratch marks from the nock of my arrow where she was walking and the arrow was bending and scratching the saplings..

We lost the trail and continued to search for a couple more hours...

Never found the deer or my arrow...

I feel like crap about it.... I know it's going to happen, but a miss and a maiming this season just plain sucks now...

Going to keep on trucking with this recurve. The little things I'm not paying attention to are screwing me up.... Learning each and every hunt. The hard way.................

gurn

Gone but not forgotten
From the sound of where ya hit her I'm thinkin shes gonna patch up and ya might see her again. Write it off as thats the way it goes sometime. I't happens ta all of us. Sounds like ya put ah good effort in findin her so you did your part.

Ellbow

It's okay. I believe that has happened to many. Just keep on fine tuning your shots.
Good luck to you!
El

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
From the sound of where ya hit her I'm thinkin shes gonna patch up and ya might see her again. Write it off as thats the way it goes sometime. I't happens ta all of us. Sounds like ya put ah good effort in findin her so you did your part.

I thought that too, but I'm worried because we didn't find the arrow. She didn't break it or get it out of her... If that arrow stays in, I think it's not good for her in the long run...

That part bothers me..

BkBigkid

I know it is heart Breaking to loose em like that but it happens and not just with Trad Gear.

I shot one some years ago with a Gun and walked right over it three times trying to find it in the dark with minimal light from the flashlight as the batteries were dying fast, Went back at day break the next morning to look for her. The only thing I found was one Foot and some Hair. the rest of her was gone. Whatever wild animals that are around will make sure it does not go to waste.

Sounds like you did everything to find her.

Blueridge

tough break , but don't beat yourself up about it. good luck these deer are tougher than you think. I hope you see her again.

broadhead

Bucky, as I told you yesterday, I understand how you feel. I am hoping mine shook the arrow. It didn't appear to go through any vitals and your's sounds similar. I think both deer will live. As much as we take this thing to heart it is hard to shake.

Barry Duggan

It happens...no matter what you are hunting with.

Jayin J

Think Positive, Tell yourself the Deer will be fine and move on to your next hunt......this happens to all of us.....Think Positive and move on.....I know it sucks, but the next one will work out and everything will be all right....

sawtooth

Hard to swallow, but it's all part of hunting, traditional or otherwise--it happens. Don't be discouraged, just keep doing what works for you and stop doing what don't. Experience is what you get the split second AFTER you really need it.

SELFBOW

It's okay. I believe that has happened to many. Just keep on fine tuning your shots.
Good luck to you!
El

When did become "OK" to wound animals? I don't think "real hunters" would agree with that;) just food for thought...

Last edited:

TNGIRL

Bucky, it was your first hit. No matter what happened, I believe you musta did your best to make the great killing shot AND to find the down deer when it was over. It didn't work for you this time....you are NOT ALONE on that shelf! I know for a FACT not one person on here hasn't missed a deer OR for whatever reason made a less than desireable hit on an animal OR been unable to find their game later. So beat yourself up a little, but learn from that hunts mistakes and do your best not to repeat them. I can say all this cause I haven't been lucky enough to kill a deer yet with my recurve...I have missed several, any one of them coulda been a less than desireable hit instead of a miss, cause I couldn't predict perfectly what the deer was gonna do!!!! I learned from each time.....Good Luck on your next hunt....it'll come together for you!!!:bounce:

charlie 2 arrow

these things happen. youll never kill one you dont shoot at, so break those eggs & make your omelet. gun hunters lose deer too.

gtfisherman

Bucky- These things happen but it don't make it any easier. If you know you gave it your all to find her then keep practicing and hunting. I lost one a few years ago that I know I buried the arrow right behind her shoulder. She bleed like anything for 25-30 yds. Then nothing. We never found that deer dead or alive. Never figured out what happened. People loose deer with guns too. So it's just part of hunting. A bad part. But part of it.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Wasn't really looking for all the kind comments and words of encouragement, but it was nice to read.:) Thanks!

Figured I'd spill the beans and let some steam off.

I'll be out there again tomorrow morning giving it another go!

Got some time in my work schedule to sneak to the woods tomorrow am.

Hunting a spot I haven't touched since last season. Usually see a few in there.

Fired a few confidence boosting shots into the target this afternoon and feeling good again!

johnweaver

Stay with it. Been there, done that, couldn't find the Tee shirt either.