Making use of a home warranty

SarahFair

They are sending out A Royal Flush today.
I guess they go off the repairs the plumbing company recommends?

Im going to ask the guy to look at the lines. It was suggested to me that I cut back and replace the lines until I get "clean" copper lines to avoid more pinhole leaks in the future.
Im going to also ask about the water heater causing the problems, if it is a ticking time bomb, etc.

To me it would be in the warranty issuers best interest to take preventative measures than risking a full blown plumbing issue down the road.
I guess it just depends on how much they like to gamble?

If all they put on is that little press fitting or cut out that small section of the line and replace it Im going to talk to the warranty company about it.
I dont want to void the warranty by doing repairs myself, but if its cheaper for me to do repairs myself than paying the $50 service charge, than we are going to have to come to a different solution. :huh:

SarahFair

They are replacing the leaking pipe and water heater, installation included.
The only thing we are paying is the service fee. :banana:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Merry Christmas to you. You need to go buy a lottery ticket while your luck is holding

SarahFair

The guy replacing it acted a little surprised too.
He said he KNEW the warranty wasnt going to cover bringing the drain pipe up to code and he KNEW it wasnt going to cover the cost to fix the leaking pipe.
When we asked for a ball park price he said maybe about $500-600. We told him to just call the company and find out what all was covered.
10 minutes later he knocked on the door, said we dont have to pay anything they are going to cover everything and he was turning the water off and going to get a new water heater.

My realtor told me she asked for this warranty when we made our offer. She said that her friend had this very same one and her AC unit went out and they replaced it with only the service fee. :huh:

Killdee

Thats a great outcome. I do home repairs and quite often re repair shoddy work done by home warranty repair guys. We repair a lot of pinhole leaks between floors and walls in 1980s built homes and its almost always cerro brand copper. Thanks s is a nationwide issue and has been linked to cheap copper, city water changes and electrolysis.

westcobbdog

Good outcome Sarah, ya'll be sure and ask for a 1 year home warranty not to exceed $600 or $650 in every offer you write..

SarahFair

Thats a great outcome. I do home repairs and quite often re repair shoddy work done by home warranty repair guys. We repair a lot of pinhole leaks between floors and walls in 1980s built homes and its almost always cerro brand copper. Thanks s is a nationwide issue and has been linked to cheap copper, city water changes and electrolysis.

How can you identify Cerro brand copper??
After this pin hole, which I caught just by happenstance, Im a little scared of other leaks in places we are not in often.. (ie, the crawlspace)

Cmp1

BANNED

I remember reading about this awhile ago,,,, Sarah,,,, do you have dielectric unions on your h20 heater?

Killdee

She will on the new one cause they come installed on em now, well the Rheem models do any way.