March 5 (Saturday) - Learn to the the Sparkle-Body Emerger on The Tying Bench!

Steve Hudson

The Soft-Hackle Emerger is an exceptional pattern for trout almost everywhere trout are found. This time-honored fly is usually tied with a dubbed body, but this Saturday we're going to depart from tradition and tie it with a flash body instead. I think you'll be delighted with the result, and I'm betting it will become one of your favorites on your favorite trout water this spring and summer!

Materials:

HOOK: Size 12 or 14 curved-shank (scud) hook

BEAD: Silver-colored brass or tungsten bead. Gold can also be used. Consider picking a bead color that complements the body (abdomen) color.

THREAD: Black, 6/0

TRAILING SHUCK (optional -- I tie some with it and some without it): White Antron or similar

BODY (ABDOMEN): Stranded flash material such as Crystal Flash or Flashabou...silver, pearl, gold, even root beer...get creative with your color choice!

RIBBING: Gold, copper or silver (or other color) ribbing wire. Small is a good size. And a secret insider's tip: Try blue ribbing wire on a silver or pearl body!

HACKLE: Mottled hen

THORAX: Grayish or brownish dubbing blend. I like a Hare's Ear Blend for this fly.

Other things you may want to have:

Hackle Pliers (to help you wrap the hackle collar -- very helpful!)

I look forward to seeing you Saturday as we tie this most interesting pattern!

ZOOM Login:

Saturday, March 5
10 a.m. Eastern
Meeting number: 850 7848 7286
Passcode: FlyTying05