Merriam's callers

delacroix

BANNED
What are your favorite callers for those western birds? I have stuff that works, but it takes extraordinary effort to get matching sounds.

turkeykirk

The times I’ve hunted them I preferred to use my box call. It seemed to carry farther in the hills I hunted.

buckpasser

I strongly disagree with @JWT. Georgia/Florida hen talk has very little in common with western hens. I wish I could tell you what call sounds good out there, but all I know for sure is that raspy and “eastern” doesn’t cut it.

I suspect a very clean, high pitched call would be just what the doctor ordered. If you’ve ever heard the two varieties of hens mentioned do a danger putt, you know what I’m saying is true.

six

The two time I’ve been I just used my normal mouth call, no issues. The hens I heard sounded like any other hen. The only thing I noticed was maybe a slightly faster cadence out of the Merriam. Now the gobbles I could tell a big difference. The Merriams sounded like Bubba’s barn yard bird down the road.

I’ve hunted Merriams several times NM SD and Nebraska. A ceramic was the call that worked most for me. More specificity the K&H yella hammer with a Purple Heart striker it has bout zero rasp but still has a two note yelp just clear and whiny which is what most of the Merriams hens sounded like. First trip I went thru my vest and it seemed like nothing was getting a response, the YH was the ticket. The Merriams is pretty and so is the country...but I just can’t get used to the farm yard, gay sounding gobble.

earlyspur

They will gobble at all of it. You just want to make sure to get the decibel level up. Everything is higher volume with them. I guess its because of the need to communicate over longer distance coupled with the lack of ground foliage to break the sound. I have called them in with the throatiest raspy box in my vest and also with a no rasp glass. Don't worry about the call, just make sure you are in front of them. That's all that matters. You can call them from a mile away with about anything, but only if that's the general direction he is heading. Well at least with real mountain Merrriams. I have no experience with them below about 6500 ft.

GADAWGS

This was a New Mexico bird, responded well to the same calls I use for every other species.

Attachments

• nm (600 x 337).jpg
    nm (600 x 337).jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 8

goblr77

I’ve hunted Merriams several times NM SD and Nebraska. A ceramic was the call that worked most for me. More specificity the K&H yella hammer with a Purple Heart striker it has bout zero rasp but still has a two note yelp just clear and whiny which is what most of the Merriams hens sounded like. First trip I went thru my vest and it seemed like nothing was getting a response, the YH was the ticket. The Merriams is pretty and so is the country...but I just can’t get used to the farm yard, gay sounding gobble.

A ceramic worked best for me as well on my Merriam's hunt last year. I used a Stumpy ceramic with various strikers.

wvdawg

Staff member
I used a copper pot on all three of mine. Those birds are constantly on the go. Make sure you get out in front of them.

I can tell you for certain that raspy and Eastern will do just fine and bring truckloads of them to their demise. Don't overthink it.