Millet question

I have a couple of acres where we have planted a dove field each year for 10+ years. In the past, we planted sunflowers, but an uncontrollable infestation of pigweed forced us to millet last year (easily spray the pigweed with 24-D over the millet, works great). This month, the millet that was in the ground from last year's field germinated naturally - and after bushhogging the weeds this week - the field now (mid-June) looks great with the young millet. My concern is that this millet will mature well before the opening day of dove season.

My question... should I let this batch of millet grow (which would be so easy), or do I spray it with glypho, harrow, and replant the seeds in early July? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance for the input.

ChattBuck

I've got 2 acres of corn in a portion of my dove field this year. About an acre of that area was millet last year.

It's come back up LIKE CRAZY and has filled the rows of corn. With the 2 inches of rain last week it's now up 10-12 inches.

It's going to mature well before opening day but I figure plenty of seed will still be around when I start mowing strips in the corn a couple of weeks before the season.

Not much I can do about it at this point but accept that I'm getting some extra dove food!

sportsman94

I’m in the same situation bumper. I’m planning to work up half and replant and leave the other half as is. Figure the early stuff will get them used to coming in and the other will keep them there during season. Good in theory anyways

doomtrpr_z71

Dual would be a decent choice but I'm gonna be honest with you, that stuff makes so many seed the dual would just give whatever you planted a head start over the millet and that's about it.

Dual would be a decent choice but I'm gonna be honest with you, that stuff makes so many seed the dual would just give whatever you planted a head start over the millet and that's about it.
Is there a pre-emergent that would stop the pigweed from coming up, but would allow the millet to germinate?

ChattBuck

I only did Dual on my sunflower side of the field. I'll do it on the corn side as well next year and see how well it does.

I even sprayed GLY on the RR corn when it was 8-10 inches high and the millet started coming up a week or so later like it was nothing!

doomtrpr_z71

I only did Dual on my sunflower side of the field. I'll do it on the corn side as well next year and see how well it does.

I even sprayed GLY on the RR corn when it was 8-10 inches high and the millet started coming up a week or so later like it was nothing!
Thats the problem with it, it has so many seed it essentially becomes pigweed 2.0 in your corn, if you do dual on the corn make sure you buy a name brand with a safener and not a generic

ChattBuck

Thats the problem with it, it has so many seed it essentially becomes pigweed 2.0 in your corn, if you do dual on the corn make sure you buy a name brand with a safener and not a generic

Is my 2.5 gallon Me-Too-Lachlor II applicable or do I need an upgrade?