Mineral Licks - Are they the same as baiting?

dutchman

OK, with all the conversation here lately about the B word, I figured I'd ask a legitimate question, especially for all you guys who are opposed to baiting.

Do you put out mineral licks? If so, why?

Are mineral licks any different than baiting with some type of corn or other food product?

I know what the law says. I don't want to read about what the law says. I want to know what you say.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
I have in the past.

I don't anymore.

Not that I have ever hunted over one.

I am also in the midst of a conversation with BassPro Shop managers concerning their practice of advertising and selling a mineral block that is formed so as to appear to be a big ole chunk of dirty quartz.

It's design is an obvious and blatant attempt to violate the law promoted by their store.

Larry Rooks

Yes, I put out mineral licks for the deer. I feel that it offers nutrients that they would not get otherwise. I am not talking about salt blocks or deer cocaine or similar attractants, but a true mineral lick.

JBowers

dutchman

JBowers said:
That's what matters.

That can get you in trouble.

Didn't say anything about hunting over 'em, now did I?

H

HT2

Dutch.........

Only if'n you hunt over them........

Just as feeders are bait if you're hunting over them..........

Don't hunt over neither one of them and you'll be O.K....... :)

FootLongDawg

It never ceases to amaze me. Those that attempt to rationale sitting in a elevated position above a game animal's normal view, equipped with modern technologically advanced firearms and optics or bows, using bullets & broadheads meant to deliver devastating accuracy and destruction upwards of 500 yards (in the gun's case), at the same time crying "not fair chase" about some useless gadget or product whose greater purpose and affect was to relieve the hunter of his money. :huh:

PWalls

No difference in the end result of hunting over corn pile, food plot or mineral site. All being man made and done to affect the wildlife in man's favor. Sure there are specific differences with regards to how you utilize all three and any side benefits and ethics and such, but at the core, no difference.

Randy

FootLongDawg said:
It never ceases to amaze me. Those that attempt to rationale sitting in a elevated position above a game animal's normal view, equipped with modern technologically advanced firearms and optics or bows, using bullets & broadheads meant to deliver devastating accuracy and destruction upwards of 500 yards (in the gun's case), at the same time crying "not fair chase" about some useless gadget or product whose greater purpose and affect was to relieve the hunter of his money. :huh:
We all have to draw a line somewhere! I mean what is the difference in driving 56 and doing drugs or adultry? It is all wrong. Each of us has a set of morals and ethics that we live by. Some are stricter than others. When do you loose your ethics or morals to be part of the group?

GAGE

GONetwork Member
FootLongDawg said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Good point FLD!

I put out minerals, run feeders and plant some pretty awesome food plots...WHY :huh: because I want too. I would like to think it helps the herd (whether they need it or not) I know two things are for sure, it doesn't hurt and I can!
Don't need to be all about me, but that is pretty much the unsugar coated answer!

Last edited:

Hawire

Yes,I put one out this year.I did it because I felt the deer needed the extra minerals. Yes I use a feeder too,but I also planted food plots. I will pull the feeders before season,but the lick I made is now part of the earth and I can't change that at this point.