Mineral Site - Block, Rock, Granules

Addicted to Antlers

What is your secret to success for mineral sites? How do you build yours? Do you use block, rock, granules or fine mix?

I have been trying a few different brands. 4SWildlife, Trophy Rock, Lucky Buck and a few more. What is working for you?

Dupree

Lucky buck has had the quickest results for establishing one for me. I use it and trophy rocks also.

Fork Horn

I also use trace mineral blocks. We’ve always put our blocks on the top of stumps. Deer will lick both the block and the stump as well as dig a bit around the stump. As far as my secret of success, never let it run out. When one block is about gone, I add another, regardless of the time of year. Once deer find it, they’ll remember it and come back to it year after year.

sleepr71

I just get the Brown mineral Blocks from Tractor Supply for about $10. They have most of the minerals that the $25-30 blocks do & once the Deer discover it…they will come back year after year. Been doing this for about 15 years & just drop a new one down in the hole they’ve created. No rocket science involved ?

SakoL61R

Redmond all natural mineral blocks, loose mineral, and their conditioner.
Same thing/source/parent company as Trophy Rock, but much less cost.

furtaker

I also use the plain old trace mineral blocks or bags. I have one lick I started about 6 years ago that is now about 7 feet wide and a foot deep.

I also like putting a lick in red clay if possible.

treemanjohn

Banned
Most if the "trace mineral " block are mostly salt. You really need more than that if you're placing it for nutritional benefitScreenshot_20210710-194920_Brave.jpg

glynr329

Two I took pictures of this morning

Attachments

• 20210710_073253.jpg
    20210710_073253.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210710_071708.jpg
    20210710_071708.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 26

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Regular ole trace mineral block.

CAA321E7-8A32-4268-8441-EE37B6E1FB1A.jpeg

furtaker

Same here, it really helps to identify your deer head, especially bucks before season kicks in.
Yep. I love salt licks in the summer. I don't get very many pictures of big bucks though. Mostly does and little bucks. I've noticed that a lot of times the biggest bucks only visit about once or twice a month.

KevChap

Banned
When I was a kid my dad would buy that ice cream rock salt and mix it in hot water he'd clear out a spot and pour about 3 or 4 gallons out... the deer loved it.

Fork Horn

When I was a kid my dad would buy that ice cream rock salt and mix it in hot water he'd clear out a spot and pour about 3 or 4 gallons out... the deer loved it.
I worked for a therapeutic wilderness camp for troubled teenagers for a bit of time and occasionally the counselors would make ice cream for the campers. They’d usually pour out the melted ice (full of salt) in the road (just a private dirt road) near the cafeteria building and for about a week or so afterwards deer would spend a great deal of time trying to get the salt. There was never any doubt when more was dumped out; it was always interesting to see the increased deer activity as they were after that bit of salt.

buckpasser

I wonder if it’s effective (or not) based on your region? I’ve seen quite a few attempts in my area, but they’ve never turned into the beat out holes I see posted here from other parts of the state. I’ve seen a little action on the trophy rocks, but the red mineral type blocks and salt blocks typically just get eroded by rain in my area.