Montana blue lining

ryanh487

Don't want to hijack this tread.....but spend the $40-$50 on bear spray, forget the gun. Bear Spray is much more effective anyway.....plus if you really do back country fishing you can keep the spray close at hand while wading.

Until you're downwind of the bear... and I'd trust 230-300 grains of lead moving at 1400 FPS+ over some pepper juice mist when it comes to fending off a half ton predator any day.

fishndoc

Making a kill shot with a hand gun on a charging bear (& they don't give you warning) is something most of us can't do. Bear spray just has to be aimed in the proper quadrant to be effective.

I remember reading a report out of Alaska reviewing bear-human confrontations, showing you were much more likely to survive the attack using spray vs. a gun.

Plus, if you are hoping to take down a big grizzly, you need a 44 magnum (I've read Alaska guides call 357's "bear ticklers"), and lugging that around on your hip all day would get old.

That said, now that my wife often fishes with me, here in the southeast, if we are going to isolated area I usually do carry a 9mm, but it's for two legged predators.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I remember reading a report out of Alaska reviewing bear-human confrontations, showing you were much more likely to survive the attack using spray vs. a gun.

Was it this one?

https://news.byu.edu/news/byu-study-shows-bear-pepper-spray-viable-alternative-guns-deterring-bears

I've fished in several places where I wasn't the top predator anymore. I usually carry both pistol and bear spray, but the bear spray would be the first thing I reach for in an encounter.

That BYU study had some real eye opening stats. 92% of bear/spray encounters ended well for the person. Only 67% of the bear/gun encounters ended well for the person.

I guess it's a lot like using a little caliber like a .22 or a .32 for self defense. Yeah, you might kill your attacker, but not before they've killed you too. You might pump enough lead into a grizzly to eventually kill him, but not before he's turned you into carpaccio.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Knowing my luck, I'd probably spray it all in my eyes instead of the bear's, then he'd have hillbilly ala cayenne.

Dean

Bear Spray

Just returned from my 25th trip hiking, camping, fishing in the deep back country of either MT or WY. Spent many, many, many days and nights in prime grizzly areas, often +/- 10 miles back from the nearest trailhead, or +/- 40 miles from cell service etc. We have had encounters with bears; both black bears and grizzlies. In the early days, we too carried a pistol into bear country as our only defense. That is until we did a lot of research....

More than spray or guns the best thing is to be 'bear aware' on the trail, and on the water. Keep a clean camp, understand the differences in black bears and grizzly's, and know what to do in case you have an encounter with either.

In the meantime, for the record, I have yet to meet or talk to anyone in recent memory that lives (multigeneration natives), works (MT/WY F&W, YNP rangers, outfitters, guides) or plays in MT/WY that recommends a gun over bear spray for use at the time of an attack. I have seen published data that reports a 40% more likelihood of being mauled when using a gun as the only defense when attacked. Bear Spray properly placed in a hip/belt holster can be accessed as quickly as any gun.

Carry what makes you feel safe, but don't have a false sense of security simply because you are packing a gun when all the evidence shows that bear spray is simply a more effective deterent in case of attack.

fishndoc

I was lucky enough to fish with West Yellowstone guide Nick Nicholas a couple of times (he passed away about a year ago). Nick said in 40 years of full time guiding in Yellowstone country, with more than a few bear encounters, he had only removed his spray from its holster 3 times, and never had to actually use it.

So, for the occasional yellowstone fisherman, you are probably about as likely to win the lottery as be attacked by a bear.
The REAL reason to buy and carry bear spray is the security you feel from having it on your belt, lets you enjoy the fishing even more.

BTW, if you buy the bear spray from Blue Ribbon Flies, they will store it for you until your next visit (you can't fly with it).

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
I carry both (and practice with both) but I feel like you can't be too safe. I'll be in the Beartooth Mtns at the end of the month for a week of R&R.
For the definitive book on bear encounters and attacks I recommend,
Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance by Steve Hererro.
You can pick one up used on Amazon for around 10 bucks. It's more than you can really absorb on black bear and grizzly attacks and how to keep from being a stat.

A little tip I learned out west to help identify what kind of bear scat you may be looking at: Black bear scat is full of leaves, berries and occasionally fur. Grizzly scat has bells in it and smells like pepper.

Reactions: Mac

TheTroutWhisperer

Awesome to hear about everyones Montana experiences. I was out there at the end of March and had a blast. The weather was cold and windy but the fish did not mind. I fished the upper Madison around Ennis and caught 16-18" ers until my elbow hurt. If your in that area around Bozeman Rivers Edge West and Steve Smith is one great guide. Will go to Colorado the first week of September to fish with my brother on the Roaring Fork, Taylor and Frying Pan. 28 days and counting!!

Mac

Good read, hope to go to that area this summer.

westcobbdog

Personally, if I was that close to the Madison, it's the only place I'd be fishing.

But..... if blue lines are your thing... There's a dandy one on the right if you're traveling west between Hebgen lake and Quake lake. There's a gravel road on the right that parallels the creek for several miles. I believe it's called Beaver creek and the views up that valley are spectacular. Last time I was up there, we encountered 3 bull moose and a cinnamon bear.

A little closer to town is Grayling creek, a tributary of Hebgen lake. It's a small creek that's right beside 191. I hooked the largest wild rainbow I've ever had a hold of in a little 90 degree bend in Grayling creek once. It was over 24" and jumped a few times before snapping my tippet.

If you'll walk a little, there's some stretches of the Gallatin that bend away from the road and get less pressure. Float a hopper along some of those undercut banks and hang on!
Saw that earthquake lake once, just beautiful. Think in that same day hit the glory hole, fire hole, Madison, ect...