Morgan Falls Huge Sandbar Bad for Fishing?

HydraYak

Kayak fished Morgan Falls today.

There's a huge sandbar sitting right smack in the middle of the Hooch just below the tunnels.

I was able to get out of the yak and basically wade fish the tunnels. Been fishing this spot for years and never seen anything like it. The area where I am standing was 6' of water last year with a rocky bottom. No double it's a result of all the rain we've had to start the year. Sorry to say below Morgan falls dam might not be the fishery that it's been years past. Less water less space for fish to hid.

Here's a video that I shot while I was out there showing the giant sandbar -

HydraYak

Nah i never fish it. I'm targeting striper and i've never seen them on the other side of the wall.

Teh Wicked

Catch anything? I have never fished the tunnels, but was thinking about going one day to give it a try.

HydraYak

Got skunked. Striper haven't moved in yet.

I did see one confused stocker rainbow trout darting around so food is there.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
My buddy caught a 15-lb HOG there a couple of weeks ago...

little rascal

Ya'll need Judah to come back and show you how to get it done! He caught'em before the live bait ban and after! Then he went Saltwater.

jocko755

There has always been a shallow spot in that area but I remember it being shallow rocky. I hope it stays. Nice spot to wade and not have to fight the current.

Yeah - it's early.

I have fished behind the wall and around the island. I've caught shoals, spots, and LM.

Anyone kind enough to offer an update on the status of stripers below the dam? I've never caught one before and have been looking into going for my first this season.
Did a drive by the dam this afternoon but there was no one in a kayak fishing the dam discharge.

I hooked one about three weeks ago that was a monster. I think it was about a 10-12 pound fish. It broke off my 20 lb braid! Rarely have I been fishing and felt overwhelmed but I think this was one of those times that I wasn't prepared for the size fish I had on. Drag was screeming! Was glad to catch a manageable one today.

FOLES55

:cool: Valid point

j_seph

The first rule of summer river striper fishing is don't talk about summer river striper fishing. :ROFLMAO:
Stripers in a river @Worley always told me they stayed in 120 foot of water right against the dam walls in the summer

Worley

Stripers in a river @Worley always told me they stayed in 120 foot of water right against the dam walls in the summer
Well that and brush-piles tell it all....Since u made it public

RamblinWreck

Oh, snap.

:cool: