Most effective coon trap?

ssramage

Coins have become a problem on our "farm". They dug into our chicken coop and killed our entire flock last weekend while we were out of town.

Can you please point me in the right direction of the most effective traps? I've used the Havaharts with minimal success.

sportsman94

If you put an apron of hardware cloth around your coop it should prevent digging. I think mine sticks out about 18”. My experience with dog proofs is that you will catch a good percentage of them, but some generally end up wising up to them.

ssramage

Are you sure it was coons and not foxes?

100%. We've had this problem before unfortunately.

If you put an apron of hardware cloth around your coop it should prevent digging. I think mine sticks out about 18”. My experience with dog proofs is that you will catch a good percentage of them, but some generally end up wising up to them.

I have that as well but I just recently added more coop space and ran out of hardware cloth on one side. I left for a 2 week overseas work trip the next day. I hadn't had a problem with coons in about a year so I got too complacent. They dug through in the one gap I had. Scorched earth approach should knock them back again.

sportsman94

100%. We've had this problem before unfortunately.

I have that as well but I just recently added more coop space and ran out of hardware cloth on one side. I left for a 2 week overseas work trip the next day. I hadn't had a problem with coons in about a year so I got too complacent. They dug through in the one gap I had. Scorched earth approach should knock them back again.

Doesn’t help that you have to about take a second mortgage out to pay for hardware cloth these days! Good luck on scorched earth approach. A 160 or 220 conibear in the crawl under would handle them as well if you want another option (and no domestics are a possibility

B. White

I didn’t want to spend money on hardware cloth and was taking down a woven wire fence section and used it. Works fine so far.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I really like the Z push/pull DP traps, not good if you have cats though

Toliver

I've heard of those but never used them. Couldn't remember what the name of them were. Thanks! I'll order a handful of them now.
Just keep in mind they will also catch cats just in case you care. Possums, too, but that you probably don't care about since they're chicken killers, too.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Dog proofs are the easiest. Find out where they’re coming from and set them directly in the trail so they have to walk over it.
Make sure you stake them down good or cable them off to a tree.

Big7

The Oracle
live traps bait it with peanut butter
If it is Coons and not Foxes, the best bait I've ever used is Sardines in plain soybean or olive oil. No hot sauce, mustard or seasoning. Just plain.

Put a couple of tablespoons of crushed or chunked up meat behind the trigger plate then drizzle a tiny stream of oil from the can from just inside the trap opening out into open ground in front of the trap.

That's what we used to catch Coons to train dogs with years ago when the crowd I ran with was Coon hunting a LOT. Have did the exact same thing to catch nuisance Coons thru the years after that.

I rarely fails to catch the Coon(s) in question but plan on catching a Possum' now and then if you got Possums' around.

And try to use the Coyote size trap if you can/want to spend the extra money. They go in the bigger ones better. Tractor Supply has a set of 2, one Coon size and one Coyote size- if they still carry them that is. That brand works good. I still got mine.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Honey bun is the best coon bait you can use bar none. I trap em all the time to mess with dogs with. They can not resist a honey bun.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Black licorice is a very fine bait to use. Not affected by rain as other baits tend to be.

ssramage

Honey bun is the best coon bait you can use bar none. I trap em all the time to mess with dogs with. They can not resist a honey bun.
I ordered this with my traps to put me over the amount for free shipping. Seemed to work pretty well.