Mountain Bikes or Electric Powered Bikes

Yak4Food

I have been thinking of using a mountain bike and then possibly an electric bike for hunting. I just wanted to get anyone's opinion who has used either and their recommendations

LittleDrummerBoy

Biking is not something you can turn on in the hunting season if you are not practiced in it beforehand.

Mountain biking is not hard, if you can do 10 miles a day in the months before the season, you are good to go 10 miles a day during the season.

If you are a lard butt before the season, you will still be a lard butt during the season.

You gotta practice and prepare.

They work great on public land for getting in to where there is less pressure. There are a couple of companies marketing electric bikes specific for hunting. They have wider tires and a rack for gear.

dhsnke

Are electric or motorized bikes legal to you passed a locked gate on WMA's in Georgia?

shdw633

I have a Rambo electric bike that I use to hunt wth. It allows you to be that lard like a previous poster stated but still get all the benefits of using a bike in a hunting situation. I loved it during archery season because I could ride right up to my stand and it was invaluable using in Michigan to get across a couple of miles of corn fields to my hunting areas. You need to check with state/federal laws regarding whether they can be used on your public land and even if they are you still have to get the permission of your WMA as well. In Illinois an electric bike is legal in public land but the WMA I hunted wouldn't allow them during tree season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yak4Food

Biking is not something you can turn on in the hunting season if you are not practiced in it beforehand.

Mountain biking is not hard, if you can do 10 miles a day in the months before the season, you are good to go 10 miles a day during the season.

If you are a lard butt before the season, you will still be a lard butt during the season.

You gotta practice and prepare.

I am not worried about the fitness aspect. I have that covered

Yak4Food

I read somewhere they are legal on wma's but I am not worried about it because 99% of my hunting is on private land. Funny you mentioned a brand of electric bike because now in the advertising space the company's bike is displayed.

Worley

Mountain bike “no problem“ in hunting season I traveled many a miles on one before it got stolen. Now obviously if your talking Cohutta Wilderness area you better be in elite condition ?But for most low land north / middle Ga you will be surprised how deer react, I’ve had em stare at me pedaling thru the woods, no joke....

Buckhead

Used to Mtn bike to stands often on private land. Mostly on logging roads. Very quiet - fast way to get around. Jumped several deer this way. Big negative was inability to carry ancillary gear. Tried putting an ATV gun/bow rack on my handlebars and backpacking, but didn’t work that well.

20 years later, I ride an ATV. I know, but am old, so there.

35 Whelen

Nothing with a wheel is allowed in a designated "wilderness area."

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I read somewhere they are legal on wma's but I am not worried about it because 99% of my hunting is on private land. Funny you mentioned a brand of electric bike because now in the advertising space the company's bike is displayed.

Not in Georgia, nothing motorized is allowed behind a gated road. Regular bikes are fine though.

LittleDrummerBoy

Having mountain biked for 30+ years and introduced many others to the sport, I should remind folks that providing the power is only part of the challenge over uneven terrain. Newbies on trails reckoned as "beginner" (like Cherokee Bluffs) often express more challenge and discomfort on the downhill sections where the main issues are balance, steering, and braking rather than pedaling. The more gear you add, the trickier balance, steering, and braking become (and power when going uphill).

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that some practice is in order over terrain of comparable difficulty as you'll really be covering to get to your hunting location. Thought would also be needed regarding how one gets the deer out with a bike.

Dennis

Having mountain biked for 30+ years and introduced many others to the sport, I should remind folks that providing the power is only part of the challenge over uneven terrain. Newbies on trails reckoned as "beginner" (like Cherokee Bluffs) often express more challenge and discomfort on the downhill sections where the main issues are balance, steering, and braking rather than pedaling. The more gear you add, the trickier balance, steering, and braking become (and power when going uphill).

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that some practice is in order over terrain of comparable difficulty as you'll really be covering to get to your hunting location. Thought would also be needed regarding how one gets the deer out with a bike.
All this and in the dark mountain biking can be tough and sometimes painful

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE

Nutin to it.
Tried my boys 20”. Worked great for several hunts so I left it at the truck one hunt and shot a buck 750 yards from the gate. The drag was enough to finally pack the next one out. The bike has stayed at home since but my wife got a mountain bike for Christmas that I’ll borrow next September and beyond.
The hardest part was without the bike.
Riding a cycle is easy.
A doe spotted that bike and turned trails on me so you might hide your bike if you try it but yeah easy as a scooter well almost. But worth it!

shdw633

shdw633

Because lots of folks get off the walking trail and make new trails. Disturbing/ destroying habitat

How is that any different from a mountain bike doing the same thing and being legal to do it. A bicycle is a bicycle regardless of how it gets its power.