Mounting 55 gallon drum to a tree

habersham hammer

Ok I’m working on feeder # 3 and it’s going to be a gravity feeder. What is the best way to mount this to a tree if that’s the route I want to go. Would strong ratchet straps hold it up? Any suggestions, ideas or pictures?

Attachments

• IMG_5125.jpeg
    IMG_5125.jpeg
    378 KB · Views: 12

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Railroad spike and big square washer.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
My uncle used heavy ratchet straps, been there for 20 years with all the bears we got

Tight Lines

More expensive than ratchet straps but I use a couple of these:

WOODIE13

View attachment 1235969
I had these brackets made to hang my feeder up. Not cheap. Never really known of folks strapping 55 gallon gravity feeders to the side of a tree.
Got a lot of bears there?

We will put a pulley on a steel cable, run 2 4 to 5 ft sections of PVC on either end of the pulley, then run the cable between two trees with no overhanging limbs close, then hang it @ 15 to 20 ft up.

WOODIE13

Some will put big sheets of tin around the trees too.

Got a lot of bears there?

We will put a pulley on a steel cable, run 2 4 to 5 ft sections of PVC on either end of the pulley, then run the cable between two trees with no overhanging limbs close, then hang it @ 15 to 20 ft up.
No sir no bears around me.. that tin sounds like a slick idea

frankwright

I have built and put up several just like this.
This is not my picture, I borrowed it.
55 gallon drums like everything else are made flimsy now. If you strap around the barrel it will oblong it making it a real pain to get a round lid back on.
I bolt the 2x4's securely to the barrel with sturdy bolts and washers.
Be sure to let the lid stick up above the 2x4's so it doesn't interfere with putting the lid on and off.
Put it high enough so a deer can't hit it and break the motor. (Lesson Learned)

Attachments

• deer feeder.jpg
    deer feeder.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts