Muzzle loader/ammo question ?

Hillbilly stalker

Yes pellets have an up and down side. If you look closely at the pellet, one end will be black for about 1/8th inch. That side goes toward the primer. The second pellet is loaded the same way. Most are packaged with the black side down so you automatically put them in this way. I believe the black end is a finer powder thus ignites much easier.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Beginning to sound like a possible issue. I don't use pellets so I can't say too much about them.

I have not had any trouble with loose Pyrodex. There is a load of that in my rifle right now waiting for a deer tomorrow. The can that it came out of is at least 15 years old. I shot it about a dozen times the week before primitive opener and it went bang every time tossing a ball into a small gong at 100 yards.

Even I can't put loose Powder in upside down. At least I don't think I can. LOL

earlthegoat2

Supposedly, Pyrodex degrades after as little as a year whether it is loose or pelletized.

Anecdotally, I have used the same batch of Pyrodex pellets over a 5 year time span with no noticeable problems.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I needs to get a bigger rifle sos I can choot it up mo faster. I always wanted one of them little mountain howitzers.

F.A.R.R.

Yes, the first one goes a lot easier ! I think the powder is burning around the bullet if that makes sense . I know it’s about half as loud as the second shot .

Sounds like the base of the maxi isn’t expanding enough and Making a gas seal until it’s shot on a fouled bore. You could try another type conical or try the maxi with loose powder and maybe a higher charge to see if that makes the gas seal.

But if your other load’s been killin deer for 20 years it’s hard to top the confidence you got in it !

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Sounds like the base of the maxi isn’t expanding enough and Making a gas seal until it’s shot on a fouled bore. You could try another type conical or try the maxi with loose powder and maybe a higher charge to see if that makes the gas seal.

But if your other load’s been killin deer for 20 years it’s hard to top the confidence you got in it !
I’ve already switched back to the “plastic junk” lol . Also my first thought was maybe the pellets were old . I’ve probably been using the same box 6-8 years . So I got a new box and had same issue . I shot several of the sabots this week , all with a clean barrel and they all done perfect . And are noticeably tighter in my barrel , harder to load . My issue is fixed , I guess I was just really curious if anyone else had the same problem before , thanks to everyone .

Buford_Dawg

I had same issue Antharper when I got my TC Omega 10 years ago. Tried all kinds of combinations of bullets and powder. By far the best combo for my ML was 2 Triple 7 pellets with a 295 grain Powerbelt Aerotip. I havent looked back and it has been deadly ever time I pull the trigger. I will say this, the deer never runs more than 50 yards, but I hardly ever get much blood. Which is interesting given the size of the holes that are produced. The end result is very good for me though.

F.A.R.R.

Hadn't experienced it with a maxie- but a simialr kind of thing with a patched round ball. In one rifle have to use a thicker patch on a clean barrel than a thinner one if shot on a fouled bore- the accuracy was way off otherwise.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Ok , so I’ve always shot the Hornady sst ammo with the plastic junk as hillbilly calls it ? . Decided to try the TC maxi hunters just because of so many recommendations . Put a new scope on my muzzle loader and sighted it in with some of the Hornady ammo just to keep from wasting the maxi hunters .
Then I cleaned my gun /optima pro , loaded it up with the maxi hunters and it was almost like I had a misfire , I could literally see the bullet . Thought maybe my powder was bad . Loaded it again and boom , shot fine . Repeated this several times and on every clean barrel I seemed to get a misfire . Dirty barrel shoots good . Are these bullets to lose in my barrel ? I’ve went back to the plastic junk and I’m ready , just curious if anyone had ever had a similar issue . Thanks
I had a similar problem with Buffalo Ball-etts many years ago. When using Pellets it made more of a pop and fizzzzzz and the projectile left the barrel about as fast as you could throw a similar sized rock. I think the pellets are more of a controlled burn rather than the explosion gotten from loose powder and just push out and around projectiles that are not snug in the bore.
A thin tyvek patch just a little larger than the base of the projectile helps seal into the lands, or a fouled bore (pop 2 or 3 primers off after cleaning, those arent corrosive) or using a tighter fitting sabot/bullet or bullet are all solutions.

antharper

Staff member
I had a similar problem with Buffalo Ball-etts many years ago. When using Pellets it made more of a pop and fizzzzzz and the projectile left the barrel about as fast as you could throw a similar sized rock. I think the pellets are more of a controlled burn rather than the explosion gotten from loose powder and just push out and around projectiles that are not snug in the bore.
A thin tyvek patch just a little larger than the base of the projectile helps seal into the lands, or a fouled bore (pop 2 or 3 primers off after cleaning, those arent corrosive) or using a tighter fitting sabot/bullet or bullet are all solutions.
That’s exactly what mine done . I could literally see the bullet and it didn’t even make it to the target . I just went back to the Hornady sabots and they’ve all shot perfect .

antharper

Staff member
Removed my target off the sweet gum tree I was trying to kill and noticed this laying on the ground under my target . 9B396C81-9073-492D-86BD-753EA90AD2B7.jpeg

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
You need to take the kevlar vest off the tree too. LOL

antharper

Staff member
You need to take the kevlar vest off the tree too. LOL
I’m sure this was one of the dud shots that was lucky enough to hit the target b . On a side note I shot it 5 times today with the Hornady sst with the plastic junk , all on a clean barrel . They all shot perfect , got my confidence back up anyway .

Latest posts