My #4th summer garden, continued: Harvest Season!!

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Last’n got locked down before I could post some pics. But, it was so much fun I’m hoping erybody who participated will jump in here n show pics of the seasons’ harvest. Bonus points if it’s plated up! We went out this evening n got enough to keep us busy tonight puttin it all up…..can’t tell y’all how much I love this stuff!

IMG_5737.jpegIMG_5742.jpegIMG_5739.jpegIMG_5740.jpeg

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I keep tellin em they will be very proud of this work when they are my age. I didnt have a garden when I was young. I very much respect folks who have grown up around a culture of living outdoors and growing their own food.
Wish I'd paid more attention growing up about the signs and all.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I keep tellin em they will be very proud of this work when they are my age. I didnt have a garden when I was young. I very much respect folks who have grown up around a culture of living outdoors and growing their own food.
When I was growing up, that was the norm. The grocery store was for coffee, flour, and sugar.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
When I was growing up, that was the norm. The grocery store was for coffee, flour, and sugar.

I wish I grew up like that. Seems like a great life, and something to be proud of.

Trying to give my kids a bit of that life. Gardening, huntin, fishing, processing all our own deer. Hopefully we can have some canning success this year too.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Our peas are about done. We did good with them. Lots of work for a small return. Some corn did ok. Yours JB looks great. About have our ears looked that good. The okra is starting now. It didn’t seem to be a bumper crop either. The squash was plentiful.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Our peas are about done. We did good with them. Lots of work for a small return. Some corn did ok. Yours JB looks great. About have our ears looked that good. The okra is starting now. It didn’t seem to be a bumper crop either. The squash was plentiful.

Thanks Kmac!

Our okra is just now starting to get going. I was crawling around out there pulling weeds earlier while the kids were picking beans n corn. Really hoping the purple hulls show up in force. That which was picked was the front end. Looks they they ain’t got going good yet.

WOODIE13

They did everything by the signs, till, weed, plant, etc. and always had a beautiful garden. My Mamaw Weis had 3 at one time, as she got older they started getting smaller and smaller

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Good stuff Brent!
I grew up picking vegetables, corn and tobacco, baling hay.
Unfortunately we didnt own any of it :bounce:
Did have a small family garden though.

Thanks Walt! I’m hoping my kids are as proud of the work they are doing today as all y’all who grew up doing it are. I keep saying it, but I’m a very blessed man. I absolutely love this stuff!

WaltL1

Thanks Walt! I’m hoping my kids are as proud of the work they are doing today as all y’all who grew up doing it are. I keep saying it, but I’m a very blessed man. I absolutely love this stuff!
They'll remember it.
I can remember like it was yesterday picking tomatoes with my grandfather from his garden and setting under a tree with a salt shaker and eating tomatoes with him.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They did everything by the signs, till, weed, plant, etc. and always had a beautiful garden. My Mamaw Weis had 3 at one time, as she got older they started getting smaller and smaller
My grandma always said, I plant by the signs. My daddy said, I plant in the ground. They gardens always turned out about equal.

WOODIE13

My grandma always said, I plant by the signs. My daddy said, I plant in the ground. They gardens always turned out about equal.
I will say hers hardly had a weed in it after the first hoeing, here and there.

She also would plant the 3 sisters (corn, runner beans and squash) together in places, usually after the first rows of corn came up, hardly any weeds

WOODIE13

Cow and chicken manure were king.

Burn a brush pile, till it up and plant lettuce and spinach

Latest posts