My boy's first buck...and it's a good one!

Kris87

My boy has killed 3 or 4 does already with his crossbow, and he's had several really good encounters with big bucks already, but has never closed the deal. I'm glad he hunts with a crossbow and not a rifle, as I feel he's learned a lot more about deer and also the way I hunt with a bow. Last night we probably saw 20+ does and a couple of small bucks, and he had already made his mind up he was passing all the does to hopefully get a chance at his first buck. As it got closer to dark, I figured no more deer were going to show at his blind, so I gave him the OK to shoot the next doe that came in. Then this guy pops his head almost inside the blind as he walked by at about 10 yards. Luckily the wind moved from west to some south in it, or he would have busted us. With it nearly dark, he had some trouble finding the buck at first through the scope. Once he finally got lined up on him, he was facing us, head down eating. When he turned broadside, he started to walk away, and I gave him a good mep to stop him. Normally he waits on me to give him the go ahead, but he didn't wait this time. He blew the top of the lungs out and I watched the buck jump straight in the air. With all the deer scattering, I didn't actually hear him crash, so I wasn't sure about the shot. He didn't go 80 yards and the bloodtrail was easy to follow. To say he was ecstatic is an understatement. Never did I think this would be the first buck he'd shoot. I hope it doesn't spoil him. As good as I felt shooting my buck on Thanksgiving Day, it doesn't hold a candle to this! IMG_20191201_184922-756x1008[1].jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_191202_094508085_crop_3226x2419-806x604[1].jpg

Hillbilly stalker

Congratulations to the young man. That's a real nice buck ! Good on you too dad !

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Congrats on a great first buck!!!!

kevan tyler

He doesn’t look much older than I was when I killed my first buck! Hopefully he is more addicted than ever !

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Congrats to the young man,

The first deer I killed was a big buck. It ruined me for awhile. I was determined to shoot one just as big or bigger. I got over it though.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Man what an awesome buck!
Congratulations to you both!

fullstrut

Awesome buck. Congrats to both of you. Looks like your freezer is reaching full capacity.