My Last Dog

Nimrod71

Today my last dog pasted away. She was a wonderful Liver Brittany. I bought her May 25, 2007 at the Sportsman Show in Waycross, she was a pretty little thing, 8 weeks old. I named her Julie Belle after my wife. I already had a male Brittany, Ben a grandson of Walkers Gunner. I loved quail hunting and I planned a life of days in the field and raising puppies. Belle was a quick learner and very smart. Didn't take long to have her out pointing and retrieving. The first hunting trip she made the first point of the day with Ben backing. I was amazed at how fast she pickup pointing and holding. I never had to train her on the wow post. We spent many a wonderful day chasing birds. She was even good at retrieving dove and squirrel. I was guiding two hunters and one shot a quail and it fell in the middle of a pond. When I released Belle she didn't even stop at the water, she just jumped right in and swam out and retrieved the bird. Another time I was at a dove shoot and my stand was next to a cotton field. I shot a bird and it fell in the cotton. I walked out and looked but I couldn't find it. I walked back to my stand and Belle was gone, she had followed me in the cotton field. After about 10 minutes she came out with the bird in her mouth. She was always a soft mouth dog she never chewed them.

I could go on and on about Belle and never tell all the stories and things she has done. I can tell you there is a hole in my life now. Will I fill it with another dog, I don't know, at my age a new dog would out last me. We will see.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
My favorite dog ever was Cisco, my Brittany. He did some pretty incredible feats also.
He was a great companion, even if he did range a little far sometimes...
He was also tough to lose. I'd have another one in a heartbeat if I didn't live in The Burbs.
Please get another one! For me. For you. And the dog.
Treat it well, it will help you from missing JulieB, and give you purpose and pleasure and things to look forward to.
Good luck to you either way...

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Sorry to hear of your loss. She'll live forever in your heart. I have a friend who got a Lab in his mid-80s. He has found someone who agreed to take him if and when he leaves this mortal coil before the lab. Gil

Mark K

Banned
Sorry for your loss. Please continue posting her hunts as you see fit. Her memories are what somewhat eases the void. I lost my Luke Dawg several years ago and still tear up from time to time. They make an impression on us for sure.

coachdoug87

I am sorry to hear about this. I hope you decide to get another dog. Based on your posts, you are a true sportsman and I hope you continue in the sport.

SC Hunter

Sorry for your loss. A good dog is a very special part of life. I am absolutely dreading the day my Charlie and Sadie leave us. Their the 2 best dogs I've ever had and I'll get another dog after their gone. Get another dog it will help you and it will give the dog someone to love. That is really all they want is someone to love.

Hillbilly stalker

I hate to hear of your loss. Seems few people understand the value of a good dog. There is nothing as healing as the fresh breath of a puppy tho. A old timer told me once that a dog teaches us 2 things, how to love and how to deal with a loss. Those words ring true to me. Memories are a great thing, but making more even seems a little better. Sorry for your loss.

nrh0011

Sorry for your loss, keep on telling her stories. Enjoyed reading about her, I want me a female brittany someday...

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
I'm very sorry for your loss. My heart broke when I lost my first Bossi Girl. That's what my son called her. She was supposed to be his dog but he knew when he grew up and left home she wouldn't go with him. She was the best deer tracker. She didn't seem anything like any beagle I'd ever heard of. She never left the yard unless it was with me and we lived right in the middle of the woods on the river. It was a year before I could bring myself to get another puppy. I should have done it sooner. I picked one that looked just like her. Some might not agree with it but I named her Bossi too. She will be 9 years old in November. I don't know how but she turned out just like my Bossi Girl. She doesn't roam the woods, doesn't go wandering off in the woods unless it's with me. She's a fine deer tracker too. I've never once regretted getting another. She filled an empty place in my heart. Please think about getting another puppy. They all deserve someone that can love them like you did Belle. This first picture is my first Bossi in 2007. The next 2 pictures are my second Bossi in 2016 and 2019. bossi1a.jpgBossi2a.jpgBossi2e.jpg

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Sorry man,
The special ones put a dent in you for sure.

There is only one way to get over it. That's to get another one. Last one I had put down on Monday. Got a puppy on Saturday.

coveyrise

Today my last dog pasted away. She was a wonderful Liver Brittany. I bought her May 25, 2007 at the Sportsman Show in Waycross, she was a pretty little thing, 8 weeks old. I named her Julie Belle after my wife. I already had a male Brittany, Ben a grandson of Walkers Gunner. I loved quail hunting and I planned a life of days in the field and raising puppies. Belle was a quick learner and very smart. Didn't take long to have her out pointing and retrieving. The first hunting trip she made the first point of the day with Ben backing. I was amazed at how fast she pickup pointing and holding. I never had to train her on the wow post. We spent many a wonderful day chasing birds. She was even good at retrieving dove and squirrel. I was guiding two hunters and one shot a quail and it fell in the middle of a pond. When I released Belle she didn't even stop at the water, she just jumped right in and swam out and retrieved the bird. Another time I was at a dove shoot and my stand was next to a cotton field. I shot a bird and it fell in the cotton. I walked out and looked but I couldn't find it. I walked back to my stand and Belle was gone, she had followed me in the cotton field. After about 10 minutes she came out with the bird in her mouth. She was always a soft mouth dog she never chewed them.

I could go on and on about Belle and never tell all the stories and things she has done. I can tell you there is a hole in my life now. Will I fill it with another dog, I don't know, at my age a new dog would out last me. We will see.
I have a lot of friends in their 90s that are still raising dogs. Dogs make you live longer and I know in my case they keep me in shape. I can’t ever imagine not having a good bird dog. Hope you decide to bring another one into your life. Sorry for your loss.