My pack weighs 68lbs...........

Fortenberry

I would bring more toilet paper than one roll and some diff. medicines in case the freeze dried meals don't agree with your stomach.

reylamb

Byron, make sure you have something, and also a backup plan, to start fires, that is a gotta have. Take all the dryer lint you can find and put them in some old school 35mm film cannisters, you can pack a ton of the lint in them, great to have as a source, along with something to start the fires with....and again, a backup. While you may not think a fire is necessary, get caught in a downpour and the body temps can drop enough to actually set in hypothermia. Gotta have a way to start fires.

I would add another roll or 2 of TP, downscale the number of knives, and yes, take 2 compasses....other than the reasons nic stated, just in case you misplace 1.

If it were me, I would also downsize the number of clothes you are taking. Take a small container of scent free laundry wash and do some laundry, rather than toting so many clothes. The clothing weight adds up quickly.

The Arrow Guru

We are packing in and setting up camp about 3.5 miles from the last place you can park a truck. We are hunting any where from there to 7 miles in. We have fire starting stuff, just not going to use it unless we have to. We have a small hospital in a box for a first aid kit. In fact if we get cut we have the stuff to numb it up and sew it up on the mountian. If we kill one we are going to use the gutless method and pack it to the truck. I'm looking at the weather. It looks like it going to be 40 in the morning, and 70 in the middle of the day. I'm taking several layers for cold weather that I might dump, but I do not know.

Gaswamp

ok downsize the knives to one or two. Each of you has a compass. Also, half the clothes. And 1/2 dozen arrows is plenty. 1 hat. also, cut your batteries in half.

I assume you have a very lightweight sleeping bag and tent.

The Arrow Guru

very light weight tent, sleeping bag is a little heavier. Keeping the knic=ves but I am defantly looking at my clothes agian.

Gaswamp

very light weight tent, sleeping bag is a little heavier. Keeping the knic=ves but I am defantly looking at my clothes agian.

sounds like you have done most of your homework. I would love to do one of these pack-ins again one day. I was lucky that I lived in Alaska for 3 1/2 years when I was in my twenties. Unfortunately, marriage, kids, job ect has kept me from great adventure the last 16 years.

out of curiousity, why do you need 4 knives?

good luck with your trip and look forward to pics and stories on your return.:cool:

The Arrow Guru

Got a full sized Cutco hunting knife for heavy work. Got a gerber gator folding for skinning. Got a 2.5 inch kershaw folder and a little thin gerber pocket knife. I dont know that I NEED them, but I am going to have them.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I'll tell you one thing, I hiked up into the Upper Snowbird area above Robbinsville once. My pack weighed 67lbs I seem to recall. I don't envy you at all since you'll be at a higher elevation.

horse2292

I use to hunt like this in Alaska for caribou. A couple of questions before I give you more thoughts

Are you going to have a base camp?
what kind of hike in or you looking at?
What are you planning to do if yall get an elk?
how much does your tent and sleeping bags weigh?

One thing even if you don't plan on having a fire at night you always need to be prepared to have one it could be a life saver.

Great questions.

horse2292

Game bags?

Did similar hunt in Alaska this time last year. Ditch most of the batteries. Ditch the therma cell stuff. Would also look hard at your clothes. I don't think you will need all that. I know you are thinking better safe than sorry. I packed one set of wool and one berber fleece and never wore them. I ended up wearing some Ga. cotton camo. It was warm and through in a long hike and your sweating. I would really be watching the weather. Now if your hunt is later in the winter well that a different story. I would like to know after you get back what you would have left if you caould do it again. Have fun.

The Arrow Guru

Yessir got them. Bought some that are kinda cool, its a continueos roll, you cut them and cable tie them. I HOPE i get to fill them up.

apache61

Most packs are only so-so in the water Prof department, if you get hit with a real down pour be for you set up camp the rain will find its way around and in any and all flaps. Get a pack cover it will keep everything dry in side there.

Rare Breed

60 lbs+ pack @ 10000 feet+ ??? I know a few navy seals that would struggle up that hill. Good luck! Walking up a flight of stairs at that altitude would kill your average man and I have been told I am way below average.:D You forgot game bags.

dobenator

Be a real man, Loin cloth,sandals and spear!!!

Hey I hope you kill a monster!! Want to hunt the white tail with you this year!

Tennessee Buck

Sounds like your ready to go ! Just take your time because no matter how good of shape your In that high country Is hard work for us Ga boys. I have a private ranch That I have permission to hunt on In colo and cant get any body to go . everbody wants to gun hunt that I know. When you here that big boy roar It's something you will never forgett!!! hope you kill a monster good luck and happy hunting.

SC Hunter

Sounds like your ready to go ! Just take your time because no matter how good of shape your In that high country Is hard work for us Ga boys. I have a private ranch That I have permission to hunt on In colo and cant get any body to go . everbody wants to gun hunt that I know. When you here that big boy roar It's something you will never forgett!!! hope you kill a monster good luck and happy hunting.

Offer me the chance to go to colorado to hunt and you will get a definate yes! HAHA

SC Hunter

Bigrnyrs looks like you have everything covered i would take more tp and make sure you have it in a plastic bag of some sort to keep it from even possibly getting wet. I would also take something to start a fire with just in case you HAD to have one.
Good luck hope you get a big one.