Need educating

SSGN_Doc

Alright, I've been into firearms pretty heavy for over 30 years, but have avoided black powder for most of that time. I've got an oportunity to buy a used BP rifle, with almost no known details. It was a repo item.

From what I've seen (phone pics) It looks to be pretty well broken in, percussion cap, most likely a .36 cal, unknown manufacturer, age etc. Forend only extends about 1/3 of the length of the barrel.

I'm going to take a look at it in person tomorrow, but I don't know what to look for in a used smoke pole. I can pick it up for under $100 but want to know what to look for and if it's even worth having. I could always make it a decorative restoration piece.

killitgrillit

Main thing is check the bore, the bore is the first thing to go when people put them up.
Besure the nipple will come out, (not frozen in place) and that the lock and trigger work.
The outside is cosmetic and can be fixed, but not the bore.

SSGN_Doc

Right. Thanks, I know that BP can be more hydroscopic, so it makes sense that the bore could take more attention to keep protected.

How do I get a good look into a muzzle loaders bore, if access is through the muzzle only?

I wouldn't have eventhought to check the nipple.

Good info.

tv_racin_fan

Wouldn't hurt to check the "cleanout screw" either BUT be gentle and if it dont want to come out now it aint that big of a deal. Grab the smallest flashlight you can find, there are some very small ones and drop it in the bore or just shine a good one down the bore.

Check the crown out closely, if it is out of round and the bore is still good that can be fixed.

Take the lock off and see what it looks like.

For $100 if the bore is good and the lock still functions I'll take it.

hawgrider1200

run a spit -patch down the bore if it comes back rusty pass on it.

Bernard goldsmith

Some bores can be cleaned up with j-b bore paste!! A barrel has to be very bad to not be useable. Round ball, an patch should work just fine.

SSGN_Doc

I checked this thing out.

It has an allen head plug instead of a nipple, the lock works is completely frozen in the cocked position, and the barrel seems thin walled and is smooth bore with visible rust inside the muzzle, but it looks minor.

Only markings are an oval with J.B. on the barrel, and .68, but it doesn't look like it would be a .68 cal, and the whole works is so lightweight, it just doesn't seem like it would be a working musket or muzzle loading shotgun.

I think I'm gonna take a pass on this beast, and advised the folks who reposessed it that if they sell it they may want to sell it with a disclaimer stating that it is decorative only.

tv_racin_fan

Good deal sir.